Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP103H and AP 303H

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  AP103H and AP 303H

Posted Aug 02, 2021 06:01 PM
    Hello 
    I have a client which want to buy a new access point, the 103h is not available anymore.  We are offering new APS and all that.
    But i would like to know if he doesnt want it for some reason it is possible to put the 303H in the wifi network wihtout having roaming issuis if i put in the configuration  up to 40MHZ channels only? 

• 2.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2021 07:52 PM
    AP-103H is a 11n AP while AP-303H is 11ac. generally I recommend replacing the AP103s altogether.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

Posted Aug 03, 2021 09:24 AM
    What issues they could have besides roaming if they dont replace all the aps and get the ac ap and leave the 103h?
    i know that is recommended  to do what you are telling me,  but still if they still dont want do that, what can happen? 
    Any way i can TRY to avoid it (still i know its not recommened)

• 4.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

Posted Aug 04, 2021 03:10 AM
    Hi, mixing APs with different capabilities can lead to roaming issue like sticky clients and bad performance for teams/video calling. You can try to avoid if you group the different APs so that roaming is not possible. Like 102's on 1 floor and 303 on another. Ask why they want to keep these APs, is it for investment protection?

• 5.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

Posted Aug 04, 2021 10:48 AM
    Yes, they have i think 9 APs and they dont want to buy 9 aps again just for 1 AP.   Thats why they are asking if its possible or a way not to change everything and works correctly.
    Even if the new AP works at 802.11n speed, they dont care that much.

• 6.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2021 06:22 AM
    One 'known issue' when mixing 11n and 11ac APs is that some clients don't like to roam to APs with a different channel bandwidth (possibly combined with the 11n/11ac capabilities). Make sure that on your 5GHz radio the 80/160MHz channels are disabled, and you use the same (20 or 40 MHz) on all of the APs in a mixed environment.

This, by the way, is something from the very early days of when 11ac just came out, so clients may have been updated or improved, although in most cases having 80/160MHz channels is a bad idea anyway in deployments where you have multiple APs.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

Posted Aug 04, 2021 10:51 AM
    So basically i could just disable 80/160MHZ channel to avoid using 802.11ac, and make  everything works in 802.11n even the new 303H  and it will have no issues?
    We know that the new AP will not have the 802.11 ac speed just 802.11n speed but thats fine.

• 8.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2021 07:02 AM
    Not really, you can disable VHT (very high throughput) to 'revert' to 11n. But as far as I know, roaming should work if you keep the channel width the same. If performance is not an issue, and you still see problems, disabling VHT is another option. Just test; and keep in mind that 'best-practice' is to not mix different generations of APs if you can avoid it; but you explained that you can't really.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

Posted Aug 05, 2021 07:42 AM
    Interesting......

Can you that say that the main cause of roaming issue's is the channelwidth and much less due to difference in capabilities between client & AP?

• 10.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2021 08:01 AM
    You won't know for sure, but have seen that keeping the channels the same solved sticky clients in the past.

One thing that might be a reason is that clients try to optimize their connections as well. And if you have a 80MHz channel, there needs to be a lot wrong to get to a 40/20 MHz to get better performance. As the 'best practice' dictates that you should not mix APs, most customers don't get into the situation. If you have a mixed inventory of APs, and multiple sites, I would advise to replace all APs at one site with the newer ones, than use the ones you make free with that action to do an expansion in another site, so you have a single generation per site/roaming domain, and full feature sets.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 11.  RE: AP103H and AP 303H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 08, 2021 03:19 PM

Keep in mind that AP-103H is not supported beyond AOS 8.3.

Thanks,

/Onno

aruba-hp-signature-2_160x105.jpg

Onno Harms
    Sr. Director Product Management – WLAN Platforms
    E: onno@hpe.com  |  M: +1-408-480-6498
    3333 Scott Boulevard  |  Santa Clara, CA 95054

WWW.ARUBANETWORKS.COM 
    | FOLLOW US | Twitter | LinkedIn