Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

Posted Dec 08, 2021 08:51 AM
    Hi 
    We want to install a couple of 315 AP´s as IAP´s on a  remote site. The Installation-team installs all AP´s out of the Box to the Switches and connect them to the same Vlan.
    In this Scenario all AP´s get an IP Address via DHCP and a VC will be elected. So far so good.
    Now the Problem , what is the password for the user admin to login to the VC ? Yes , the Serial Number of the AP but how can i find out the right Serial Number of the AP with the VC role if nobody longer is onsite ? Guessing the password from 50 AP´s Serial numbers where are installed is not a good solution.

How do other Companies install such Scenarios with IAP´s ? Is there a solution to get the right password ?
    Solutions with Central or Airwave are not doable.
    Regards Markus

------------------------------
    Markus Amann

• 2.  RE: Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 08, 2021 09:25 AM
    Have you tried the serial of the AP that was first seen in activate (if it reached out to activate and you have those APs attached to your account)? If not, you would have to try all of them. Hopefully you have your inventory information.

Usually you want to configure one of the APs, either off site or on site, enough so that you can reach them remotely.
    Also, if you have multiple models, upgrade the firmware to your desired level on one of each. IAPs seed their firmware for like models. A 515 will not share firmware with a 535 for example. All IAPs need to be on the same version to form a cluster.

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

Posted Dec 08, 2021 09:55 AM
    that's bad because it will kill any "zero touch" deployment or rollout like this.

you said "Have you tried the serial of the AP that was first seen in activate" 
    where should i see this , first seen in activate ?

Markus Amann

• 4.  RE: Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 08, 2021 10:00 AM
    Zero touch would require you to leverage activate and point it to an airwave server for management, or manage via central. The IAPs on their own boot up with no configuration.

activate.arubanetworks.com

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 5.  RE: Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 08, 2021 08:25 PM
    The general eval process say for Aruba Central is to add the IAPs serial number/MAC addr to the "inventory" of your Central account.
    Then when the IAPs check in, you can configure them and set the password, etc.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 6.  RE: Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

Posted Dec 09, 2021 01:57 AM
    so there is no way to workaround a Central or Airwave to get this job done ?

Markus Amann

• 7.  RE: Access Point Password for IAP VC Installation guessing ??

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2021 06:49 AM
    In your post you mentioned you are adding 2x APs to a remote site. Are there any existing Instant APs there?
    Also I am not sure if you have Airwave or Central.

Assuming you don't have Airwave/Central and you don't have an existing Instant Cluster, then the easiest way is, to only have one of the APs powered up and then using the setmeup SSID connect to it and use admin and serial number of the AP as the password.
    Then you'll be asked to change the password, choose the regulatory domain and configure the rest.

If you have Airwave then ZTP process is that the DHCP option 43 will direct the IAPs to connect to Airwave and then from there you can configure them. And if you have Central, then the ZTP happens as I mentioned before.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.