Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

504 and 204 Virtual Controller on same network

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  504 and 204 Virtual Controller on same network

Posted Jun 30, 2021 10:52 AM
    hello,

i have a question regarding the coexistence of 504 and 204 APs on the same network.
    We have some 204 (6.5.4.20_80109) active and one of them being the VC.

now we bought some new 504 and as i learned they are not compatible to the old VC enviroment.
    i installed the first new 504 (8.8.0.1_80393) in a closed network and made it the VC. 
    when i moved the 504 VC to the normal network i could add all the other 504 APs just fine. 

what bothers me is that on the old 204 enviroment, in the web-gui there are no more APs listet.
    the website runs, also seems to have live statistics (i see active clients) but i have no possibility to see/manage the APs.

can someone advice me what went wrong here? i thought if the two versions are incompatible they would work along each other.
    are there guidelines in general about how two build such a coexistence, or am i wrong and it is possible to add older APs to a new VC?

thanks in advance for any feedback, and sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

------------------------------
    Wilfried Rolfes

• 2.  RE: 504 and 204 Virtual Controller on same network

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 01, 2021 03:46 AM
    The issue is they will 'see' each other but fail to establish a single cluster with both AP models due to the supported firmware version. You are better off establishing each VC in its on broadcast domain. If these APs are to be part of the same RF domain then L3 roaming or similar would need to be implemented.

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: 504 and 204 Virtual Controller on same network

Posted Jul 02, 2021 02:28 AM
    thanks for the fast response Craig.
    I'll move the VC enviroments in a VLAN then.

just for clarification: if i had, let's say old 304 IAP wich can run the 8.8.x.x OS, i could mix them with the 504 IAP, right?

Wilfried Rolfes

• 4.  RE: 504 and 204 Virtual Controller on same network

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 02, 2021 07:47 AM
    That is correct, if they support the same firmware level then they can form a cluster. There is a few advantages/disadvantages in regards to mixing PHY such as 11ac/11ax which are documented.

Craig Syme

• 5.  RE: 504 and 204 Virtual Controller on same network

Posted Jul 02, 2021 08:38 AM
    thanks for the feedback Craig.

Wilfried Rolfes