Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

This thread has been viewed 65 times
  • 1.  Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 04, 2020 02:02 AM
    Hi All,

first post here.
    My home network consists of the following:

1 x 24 port Unifi switch
    1 x 8 port Unifi switch
    Pihole using DOH
    PfSense as the router and firewall
    Linux host with Unifi controller

One main LAN, IOT and Guest portal using VLAN in the switches ports and PfSense configuration.
    I have 3 x Chromecasts (2 x LAN and 1 x Wifi)
    I have some other smart devices like TP-link Kasa light bulbs etc.
    So I'm running all my IOT:s in a separate IOT network using VLAN.

I have just ordered 3 x Aruba IAP-305 aps and POE-adapters for them.

Reason for replacing my Unifi AP:s is that even though I like Unifi for its software and stuff.. they just seems to be struggling when it comes to pushing out firmwares and software updates. The users seems to be beta testing their equipment.

The Unifi AP:s I was using (still using them as I'm writing this), they had problems getting IP-address from the DHCP server(PfSense) etc.

My questions if someone would like to answer them I would appreciate it:

• I assume I can run the IAP-305 in my current system.. replacing the Unifi AP:s with the IAP-305 without any problems?
    • Will Aruba work with Unifi Switches?
    • uPnP and DLNA, I probably need to allow this for my IOT:s like chromecast to be able to communicate with my main LAN devices from the IOT network?
    • Is there something I need to take in to consideration when setting up the IAP-305? Totally new to Aruba stuff.. like DTIM, currently using 3 as the Apple devices seems to be roaming form the 2.4Ghz to the 5Ghz if I use DTIM 1

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Toube

• 2.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 04, 2020 03:54 AM
    Another question, Is there an Android app available for the controller less configurations etc. or do I just use the mobile browser to login?

Toube

• 3.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 04, 2020 05:19 PM
    There's no reason the Aruba iAP wouldn't work in your network - the web-page-GUI for configuring is fairly intuitive. Most of the defaults should let your devices communicate well enough. VLAN tagging is straight forward. You will need to fiddle with settings to see which work best in your network, but it's easy enough.
    Come back to the community when you have more specific questions, and have fun.

--Matthew

If I have in some way helped, please click the KUDOS button

• 4.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 04, 2020 05:34 PM
    Thanks Matthew I will.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the arubas to be able to work with my current setup. Unifi gave me headaches. But then again these babies are enterprise level aps so my hopes are high.

I'll post back when they have arrived and I have implemented them.

Toube

• 5.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 05, 2020 12:23 PM
    I had one more question.. can you access the instantOs outside your network from the internet?
    Unifi has this cloud portal where you can log on to your controller from the internet.

Toube

• 6.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 05, 2020 10:45 PM
    You can subscribe to Aruba's cloud control platform, or VPN in to your home network and access the web-GUI (which is what I do at home)

--Matthew

• 7.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 06, 2020 02:40 AM
    Thanks Matthew,

You mean aruba central?

Toube

• 8.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 07, 2020 07:29 PM
    Yes. I was working (on call) on my weekend and drew a blank while I was typing ;)

--Matthew

• 9.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 11, 2020 05:37 AM
    The IAP:s will arrive today.. so the weekend is for tweaking :)

I have my chromecasts in separe IOT VLAN ID50 segement. Is there any specific WLAN settings I need to consider for them to work?
    Like Unicast and Multicast broadcasting IGMPv3 the Do I need to use Unicast-ARP-Only setting to true?

Toube

• 10.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 11, 2020 10:39 AM
    Okay guys, I'm up and running already 2 AP:s configured and all seems to be working, dhcp is addressing ip:s etc. Speed is intact.

Now only thing I'm not getting to work is the managing and seeing the chromecasts that are in the IOT network. So when I'm in the main network I cant see the chromecasts. I had this working with unifi so I know it is probably just some settings I need to configure for the IOT wifi network.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ps.
    I have avahi running in PfSense, so it's not a router confguration problem and because it also worked with Unifi ap:s.

Toube

• 11.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 12, 2020 03:38 AM
    Hi,

Now the casting is working across VLANs. 
    IOT WLAN: ARP
    Management WLAN: ARP
    Airgroup: disabled
    Multicast transmission optimization: true
    Dynamic multicast optimization: true
    AirGroup: all off

Maybe the avahi service needed time to adapt and create the list for cross domain VLAN params, don't know why it suddenly started working.

I can see that multicasts packets are averaging around 600 per 5 minutes in the Switch port stats. Is this normal, if not how can I reduce it?

Some other questions:
    • Virtual controller session idle time, is there a way to increase it, it kicks me out in around 5 min of inactivity?
    • Can client names/hostnames be updated / renamed?
    • Captive portal (vc based) is there a way to use tokens with it for authentication instead of user authentication?

Br,
      Tobias

​​

Toube

• 12.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 13, 2020 03:01 AM
    The idle admin timeout, I set it to 0 using CLI but I think it still might be ending the session. Well this is not a big thing.

Client alias / hostnames not changeable as of today.

Captive portal tokens.. nope.. need some other external solution for that.

So no need to answer the above questionsđŸ˜‰

Some other questions again:
    • Is there a good guide for replacing certificate for admin and captive portal for a trusted one?
    • Recommended settings for not so high density environment with ap:s close to each other like mine(vc)?
    • Currently letting ARM take care of the business.. is this ok?

Toube

• 13.  RE: Jumping from Unifi AP:s to IAP-305

Posted Dec 16, 2020 01:59 AM
    Status update..
    A bit of an overkill.. the recommend distance between aps is a lot longer than mine are atm.. So I have 2 aps on the same floor with a distance of maybe 5 m between them.. the other two aps are on different floors. So for the roaming I had lower the 5Ghz band power to 9 dBm for all the aps and this seems to be a good compromise.. the clients roams pretty well using this low power so I'm happy with that. The only thing of course is that their signal is not reaching outside my house.. but then again I can live with that because the main usage is inside the house.

I could maybe have gotten away with 2 aps.. one on -1 floor and one on +1 floor and used higher power on them, but I already had Unifi aps with a 4x setup and they also worked pretty well:)

All in all.. they are working much better imo than unifi aps did so a good update, I can probably see that these are keepers for next 10 year at least.
    So now I'm learning my way around them.

I still have some questions.. mostly I would like to replace the VC and Captive portal certificate.. any suggestions or post I should read for this?
    I mean like what tools to use.. I have a Linux and a Windows :)

Toube