Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

This thread has been viewed 71 times
  • 1.  AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Nov 26, 2021 09:44 AM
    Hey y'all,

I'm having a bit of an issue having my new AP-555 being recognized by my current VC. To give you a bit of an idea of how it's set up my company had previously installed Aruba AP-325's in the office with a VC setup to manage all of them. We've bought another floor in our building and have our switch connected via fiber, the new floor has Aruba AP-555's installed but I'm running into 2 separate issues.

1. When I log into setmeup.arubanetworks.com I'm able to make changes but once I reboot it to apply the changes my device no longer shoots out any SSID and the VC doesn't recognize it at all. I've tried setting it up on both our new floor and the old one but in either one the VC won't recognize it and it won't shoot out any SSID.

2. One way of getting it to boot up and shoot out an SSID was by taking the a backup of the current config of our 325 and upload that into the 555 from there I'm able to reboot the AP and it will start shooting out our Staff and Guest SSID but it still doesn't get recognized in the VC and I'm also unable to log into the AP to do any sort of management.

To give a bit more context into our network we have 2 Cisco 2960-x one of which is 24 ports the other 48 connected via SFP.

------------------------------
    Christopher Hernandez

• 2.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 26, 2021 12:43 PM
    Is the 555 on the same software version as the rest of the IAP cluster? You will need to update to same version on your first 555. Any other 555 joining after will use another 555 in the IAP as the software "seed" and will get the file  from that AP.

Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Nov 27, 2021 11:57 PM
    Hi Dustin just want to make sure I understand the process I should update the firmware prior to trying to join it. I'll have to double check but I do remember trying to update the firmware but each time I did it through the portal it would automatically fail connecting to the server. 

Also to answer your other question yes I do have auto-join on and also tried manually though I'm assuming neither were successful due to the FW version.

Christopher Hernandez

• 4.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Nov 29, 2021 05:57 AM
    So I took your advice just updated the firmware did the reboot tried to link it back up after adding the VC's IP and configuring the IP for the AP but after that it stopped sending out any SSID which put me back at being unable to actually configure it after the reboot and it still not being recognized in the VC.

Christopher Hernandez

• 5.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 29, 2021 08:41 AM
    When you said that you "tried to link it back up after adding the VC's IP", did you mean that you configured the VC address in the config of the AP? You do not need to do that. You should be able to set a static IP via console if you can not use DHCP (Static is not recommended). I would not apply any settings once it is booted up. It should get everything from the VC.

Dustin Burns

• 6.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Nov 29, 2021 11:55 PM
    Yes that's right though that's just what my company has done in other offices so I've just been following their advice to use static IDs for the APs. But just to be clear your saying I shouldn't add a static IP to the AP but I should add the VC IP so that it knows where to search. Or do you mean there's no need to configure anything just boot it up and let it search for the VC on it's own.

Christopher Hernandez

• 7.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2021 04:42 AM
    Recommended is to use DHCP for the IAPs in the 'untagged/native' VLAN, and configure the VC IP to get a 'known' IP for configuration. For me the biggest reason is that it is simple, you can't really make IP addressing errors/wrong/missing gateway, etc. And if you need to change the IP range at a certain point (like moving to test/production), you just change the DHCP scope.

The IAPs do not use the VC IP (which is optional) to find each other. There is a broadcast/multicast protocol for that coordination and VC election.

As mentioned earlier, what is really important in a mixed IAP cluster (325/555) is that before you introduce a new AP type in the same network, they run the same firmware version (same build number). As soon as you have an AP555 in the cluster, new AP555s should get upgraded from there.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 8.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Dec 05, 2021 03:46 AM
    Ah ok thanks I think I understand. So then another question I have is does it matter if when I'm setting up the AP for the first time should I be on the same switch that the old APs are on? As I've heard that when adding the 1st new AP it should be done on the same switch and then once it's added to the VC I'm able to take it to the new switch and from there I can boot up any other APs needed.

Christopher Hernandez

• 9.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 06, 2021 01:11 PM
    The APs need to be in the same VLAN/Subnet for them to form/join an IAP cluster. If y9ou are trying to do work on the IAP without it trying to join the existing cluster, it should be booted up on a separate VLAN/Subnet. If your looking to upgrade it before adding to the IAP cluster, upgrade it, and then factory reset it before adding to the IAP VLAN/Subnet.

Dustin Burns

• 10.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Dec 07, 2021 06:11 AM
    Thanks for the info Dustin, and yes they are all on the same VLAN/subnet however I was initially trying to have the AP join the cluster while connected to the second switch and not the first one where all the original APs are connected to.

Christopher Hernandez

• 11.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 07, 2021 07:35 AM
    It does not need to be on the same switch. As long as you have L2 reachability from Switch A to Switch B on the IAP VLAN, then you should be good to go.

Dustin Burns

• 12.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 26, 2021 12:44 PM
    Also make sure you have auto-join turned on for your IAP cluster.

Dustin Burns

• 13.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted Feb 07, 2022 10:02 AM
    Hey everyone sorry to necro an old thread but I finally got a console cable in so I was able to better troubleshoot the issue. I also wanted to pass along some wisdom of the ancients. What led me to the solution is that my AP would send out a discovery message but would not receive anything back, it would eventually create it's own DHCP and assign it's own IP. From there I couldn't ping out of the AP or ping it. I eventually did some comparisons on my switch and our networking guy slightly altered the configuration of each port compared to what we have on our old switch. This was what essentially caused the issue, all I had to do was correct the port settings specifically what the native VLAN it was supposed to be on and removing LACP which is something they had added.

Thanks again to Dustin & Herman for all your help 

And good luck to anybody in the future that may stumble upon this thread hope you don't drive yourself crazy like I did.

Christopher Hernandez

• 14.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted May 19, 2022 11:23 AM
    we have a mixed environment, 515/555, the 515's are all up, but the 555 wont show.
    could it be that the 555 wont upgrade fully to the firmware version?

paul coulter

• 15.  RE: AP-555 not being recognized in my VC

Posted May 24, 2022 01:31 AM
    Hey Paul,

So the primary issue I ran into with the APs not showing in the VC (but still working as in they were sending out an SSID), the primary issue was that the configuration for the ports used by the APs wasn't matching the config in our secondary switch. We were able to get the APs to show up finally on the VC regardless of the mixed firmware but updating the firmware was a bit difficult as we couldn't do it from the auto update and had to manually use files. But that was more of an issue because we had 325's & 555's.

Christopher Hernandez