Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Netwrok Coverage

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Netwrok Coverage

Posted Mar 29, 2021 11:02 AM
    Hi,
    I have 7 APs 303 and 1 365 (Total 8 APs).

I have an issue with the network strength, as normal routers will broadcast the wifi network to multiple rooms side by side ( at least 3), but with those APs I almost need to have one AP in each room.
    could someone help me in properly understanding what is the ultimate configuration for the network? 
    It's just driving me crazy 
     AP Config 
    Radio: 
    2.4 GHz band and 5 GHz bans
    Mode: Access
    Adaptive Radio Management Assigned

Current Advanced network settings are 

Broadcast filtering: ARP 
    Multicast Transmission optimization: OFF 
    Dynamic multicast optimization: OFF
    DMO Channel Utilization threshold: 90%
    2.4 min 1 Max 54 
    5Ghz Min 6 Max 54
    DTIM Interval 1 beacon
    min RSSI for probe request 0
    Min RSSI for auth request 0
    High Throughput ON 
    very high throughput ON
    High Efficiency ON
    Zone : [BLANK]
    TSPEC Bandwidth 2000 kbps
    Inactivity timeout 1000 Sec 

Security 
    MAC auth OFF 
    Blacklisting OFF
    Enforce DHCP OFF 
    802.11r OFF
    802.11K OFF
    802.11v OFF

------------------------------
    Tamby Qunash

• 2.  RE: Netwrok Coverage

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 29, 2021 06:26 PM
    Hi Tamby,

How did you place your access points? The AP-303 antenna pattern are optimized for horizontal placement on the ceiling. Wrong placement can lead to a bad coverage area.

Second we need to known what is the current EIRP tx-power. ARM will dynamic change the tx-power between its min. and max. value, depending on the interference in the air. Iám asume you got an Aruba Instant controller-less environment, the command to check the current tx-power is: "show ap debug power-table"

Another thing to mention is that when i calculate the cellsize in Ekahau you could clearly see that the antenna pattern is look like more a "cone formation" instead of a "donut". The AP-303 antenna push more power down to the floor instead of giving a bigger cellsize. The internal antenna's are somewhat looks like a patch antenna.

In the image below you see a square of 100x100meter in open air without walls, the AP-303 vs AP-315 are configured both with 5GHz@15dBM (30mW) EIRP tx-power. The cellsize is cutoff where the signal drop -65dBM@5GHz for a tablet like device. The AP-303 cellsize is at 11.4 meter, where the AP-315 cellsize is at 22 meter.

The AP-303 is a entry level AP for low density area's with 2x2:2@2.4GHz and 3x3:3@5GHz.
    The AP-315 is a standard office AP for medium density area's with 2x2:2@2.4GHz and 4x4:4@5Ghz.

Hopefully you could win some cellsize by placing your AP's on the wall and tune the tx-power to a level that match your clients. 

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own