Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

Posted Dec 31, 2021 02:59 AM
    Hello,

First a disclaimer - I'm new to Aruba.  So many of the nuances (ex: vs. Cisco) I'm still learning...

I have an AP515 running virtual controller.  Just one AP right now.  I'm running 8.6.0.15.

I can't seem to get my manual channel selection to "stick".  I have gone into the AP config, and changed from ARM to manual.  I'm running 80MHZ on 5ghz - so I have all that set up correctly.  From what I'm seeing / understanding - that means the two relevant channels would be 36S and 100S yes ?  I set the AP to this - and it's on that channel when it first boots.  After a short while - it kicks over to some other channel (ex: 52E).

I also tried to customize the valid channel list - and I've only selected 36S and 100S.  Once I did this, my AP went to 36E - even though I have it configured for 100S.  So that seemed to have some kind of effect - but I'm still confused as to what's happening.

So my main question is - what's the magic cocktail of knobs to turn to get manual channels to stick ?  

PS: what do the E and S channels mean ?  E = 40mhz, S = 80mhz ?  I can't seem to find a table detailing these.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Brandon Applegate

• 2.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2021 11:06 AM
    What is your regulatory domain?  E = Eighty Mhz wide channels.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

Posted Dec 31, 2021 02:14 PM
    Thanks for the reply.  Yes after posting this I realized part of my issue was reading the channels wrong.  After setting it to 100E it seems to be working as expected.

Brandon Applegate

• 4.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

Posted Jan 01, 2022 02:02 PM
    Man, I'm really struggling here.  I had it set to 100E - and all of a sudden it changed itself to 52E again.  Could this be a bug ?  Is there some setting I'm missing to completely manually configure channels ?

Brandon Applegate

• 5.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 01, 2022 02:15 PM
    Try "show ap arm history" on the commandline.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 6.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

Posted Jan 01, 2022 02:24 PM
    Nice.  Looks like it was radar detection.  I kind of had a feeling that might be it.  I live a few miles from our local airport, and under a flight path - I'm guessing this is what this is.

So does that mean radar detection trumps manual settings ?  I guess it makes sense as to stay on the right side of the "law" with regard to RF.

Brandon Applegate

• 7.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 01, 2022 03:11 PM
    If an access point detects radar on a channel, it needs to vacate it immediately.  With that being said, there are false positives that are more prevalent when running wider channels.

• 8.  RE: Manual channel assignment not working (IAP - AP515)

Posted Dec 31, 2021 02:48 PM
    However, now that I try again - I think I'm narrowing down the issue I'm seeing.  Just out of curiosity (I don't have any clients that support it anyway...) - I set the channel to 100S (160mhz yes ?).  It stays for a bit - and then automatically kicks to 52E.  Setting to 100E (80mhz) seems to stick as expected.

Is there a known software issue with the two (US) 160mhz channels ?

Brandon Applegate