Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive portal certificate issue with Android/Web browsers

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Captive portal certificate issue with Android/Web browsers

Posted Sep 09, 2021 08:46 AM
    Hello,

I currently implemented a captive portal through our mobility master (no clear pass currently). The problem we are having is that when users are connecting to the test captive portal SSID, some android users/ laptops using chrome,edge,firefox receive a certificate invalid issue. The fact that the certificate warning is displayed is not the problem so long that we can still "accept the risk and proceed" however I've ran into the problem that some browsers will not give users the option to proceed. 

I believe the correct solution to this is to get a public CA approved Certificate. 

However, Is there any work around or anything that I could do on the mobility master as a temp fix? Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Alex Pilkerton

• 2.  RE: Captive portal certificate issue with Android/Web browsers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2021 09:17 AM
    Getting a public certificate is the solution and workaround at the same time.

Teaching users to 'accept risk and proceed' is something you should avoid at all costs, as when they see a warning next time, they will 'accept risk and proceed' and get infected with ransomware or worse.

Certificates are pretty affordable these days.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Captive portal certificate issue with Android/Web browsers

Posted Sep 10, 2021 01:27 AM
    Okay! Thank you for the quick reply. 

If I were to purchase a certificate what kind would I need to purchase/ From what company?

Alex Pilkerton

• 4.  RE: Captive portal certificate issue with Android/Web browsers

Posted Oct 26, 2021 10:25 AM
    Hi,
    Did you sort through this?  How did you specify the domain in the cert and vc/ap/controller?

Christopher

• 5.  RE: Captive portal certificate issue with Android/Web browsers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2021 05:55 AM
    For reference: answered here.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.