Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Broadcast filtering ARP with Dynamic multicast optimization enabled

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Broadcast filtering ARP with Dynamic multicast optimization enabled

Posted Oct 01, 2021 03:59 AM
    I was testing using a mdns gateway on an Aruba switch, instead of airgroup on the APs. When I set Broadcast Filtering to ARP, no MDNS traffic reached the client, I assume as most multicast traffic blocked. If I then enabled Multicast Optimization, I start to receive mdns traffic. 

Can anyone explain this? Does Multicast Optimization supersede Broadcast Filtering? Are broadcasts still blocked?

• 2.  RE: Broadcast filtering ARP with Dynamic multicast optimization enabled

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2021 04:08 AM
    In Aruba Instant Broadcasts are allowed if Dynamic Multicast Optimization is enabled.  Yes.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Broadcast filtering ARP with Dynamic multicast optimization enabled

Posted Oct 01, 2021 04:36 AM
    So with Dynamic Mulitcast Optimization enabled, Broadcast Filtering is effectively disabled or does it do anything?

• 4.  RE: Broadcast filtering ARP with Dynamic multicast optimization enabled

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2021 04:40 AM
    It overrides Broadcast filtering and sends broadcasts as unicasts if is under the threshold and sends them as broadcasts if it is over the threshold.  If you do not want broadcasts propagated, turn off DMO.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.