Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant On Rogue AP Management

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Instant On Rogue AP Management

Posted Jan 19, 2021 10:31 AM
    Hello all

Recently I purchased my first IAP-207 as I got a great deal and I want to upgrade my home network before recommending and deploying these elsewhere. I am finding that there is no intuitive way to get the AP to allow other access points without considering them rogue. Is there something I am missing in how to allow rogue APs in Instant On?

Thanks
    Michael

------------------------------
    Aspiring IT Technician

• 2.  RE: Instant On Rogue AP Management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2021 04:11 AM
    Instant, which IAP-207 is, and InstantOn are two different things. Are you trying to mix those? That is not recommended and might not even work very well.

Either deploy InstantOn, App/Cloud-managed small/medium business (and great for home) or deploy Aruba Instant that has all the enterprise features.

If you have all IAP-207s running instant, if you have not converted the first one to 'standalone' mode, you should just be able to add more IAP-207s and they will form a cluster and not detect each other as a rogue. Management is done through the virtual controller for the complete 'swarm' similarly to managing a single Instant AP.

Can you explain what APs you have and are trying to achieve?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Instant On Rogue AP Management

Posted Jan 20, 2021 07:34 AM

Ah, this is my first foray into the HPE environment. Thank you for clarifying, the different approaches are somewhat blurred to me as to what means what. I have one IAP-207 configured currently, and it is in InstantOn mode set as a standalone AP. I have 2 more that I want to deploy once I get the kinks worked out with this one, then retire my current 3 Netgear APs of various generations (which are the ones showing up as rogue APs). I wasn't planning on doing any paid licensing though to get a virtual controller set up, I was thinking I could just set up all 3 as standalone.

I'm a bit hesitant at this point to go completely over to the IAP-207s because I have had a bear of a time getting 3rd party services allowed through the network. Wifi calling was especially difficult to get working, and then when I got that working some of my settings caused Time Machine backups to stop connecting, and fixing that killed Google Home. Just thinking the enterprise networking mentality isn't as friendly to a hodgepodge of protocols flying all around. In a perfect world, I'd like to get all this dialed in so I can have VLANs for IoT, Media Streaming, and General Use.

At any rate, thanks for your help I'm sure these will work great once I get my ignorance surrounding InstantOn cleared up.

Michael

Aspiring IT Technician

• 4.  RE: Instant On Rogue AP Management

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2021 08:25 AM
    There is no licensing involved to run Instant APs in virtual controller mode. If you convert the AP back to 'Default virtual controller mode', you can just add more APs and they will be configured and monitored as one.

To reclassify rogues that are not in your Instant cluster, you will need to go in the CLI. Check this article for more information.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.