Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IP 535 & 2930M L3 Switch

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  IP 535 & 2930M L3 Switch

Posted Dec 14, 2020 04:02 PM
      |   view attached

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I have been trying to setup an Instant AP (using AP 535's) but I keep running in to a routing issue.

The attached picture describes the setup, I have set the Virtual Controller IP to 10.81.65.250 (VLAN 65), this is in a different VLAn to the connected E0 port (VLAN 67 - 10.81.67.23 (Via DHCP))

I have read that if the VCI is not in the same subnet then I would have to set (virtual-controller-vlan <vcvlan> <vcmask> <vcgw>)

But for the value VCGW I have tried:

the GW of the VCI VLAN (10.81.65.1)
    the IP of the VCI ( 10.81.65.250)
    the GW of E0 VLAN (10.81.67.1)
    and the IP of E0 (10.81.67.26)

At no point an I able to ping the VCI (10.81.65.250 from the Server in VLAN 16 (10.81.16.10)

Am I looking at the right aera or could this be a switch issue or is this not active because there are no clients connected to the SSID at present (The Switch states Vlan 65 is up).

Edit: had another thought, do I need to edit the E0 port in anyway? 

Thanks Simon

------------------------------
    Simon Harbinson

• 2.  RE: IP 535 & 2930M L3 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 09:45 AM
    Is there a reason to have the VC/IAP management not in the native VLAN?

For Aruba Instant it is strongly recommended to configure a dedicated VLAN for Instant management and cluster communication and have that untagged to each of your APs. Client traffic should use tagged traffic where it is recommended to have wireless client and wired clients in a different subnet/VLAN to contain broadcast.

The VC ip should be in the same IP range/subnet as the IP addresses (in the untagged VLAN) of your access points. The VC is just an IP address that can be used to connect to your cluster for management, without the need to know which of your APs is the active VC. If you have a network of a single AP, it may be less relevant to have the VC IP configured, unless you use DHCP and like to have an IP that is always the same to connect to your VC.

Unsure what you are trying to do, but I would recommend keeping it simple. If vlan 65 is the network for your guest clients, and vlan67 is the management VLAN for your Instant APs, configure the virtual controller IP in VLAN67. It looks like you configured your Guest SSID to VLAN65, and that looks correct on the switch port 3 (tagged for VLAN65).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: IP 535 & 2930M L3 Switch

Posted Dec 15, 2020 01:30 PM

Hi Herman, Thanks for your response, I will attempt to explain what I'm up to, this is my first time creating a network from scratch, I have alway worked on already built fully functional Cisco networks so here goes, for a remote site I have been asked to see if I can get a Layer 3 Switch (2930M) and a cluster of AP in Instant AP Mode (x4 AP-535) with a DC, Storage,  webfilter and VPN back to main site.

WIred not a problem I have the everything working and talking to each other, clients are picking up IPs from the DC in there respective VLAN all is good.   However in my world of wireless I cannot get the connected clients to talk back the switch or anything else on the network, nor can anything ping the connected clients, the clients do connected and obtain a IP from the assigned VLAN.

It worth saying that there is no router in this setup we are relying on the switch for doing the routing if that is even possible (seems to be) , I think the issue is either at the AP or to the AP but I could be wrong, if it will make it easier I can supply configs and simple diagram.

My networking knowledge is very Monkey see, Monkey do, I can normally work most things out but I would not rule out me missing a simple thing.

I appreciate any help you could offer

P.S. I have been following your Aruba Instant series on youtube, they have helped. 

UPDATE: As suggested I set the VCI to VLAN 67, I'm am unable to ping Smoothwall Filter (10.81.16.5) Final route in switch, However I can ping the VLAN GW (10.81.16.1) and the DC (10.81.16.10), the AP can also ping other active GW and a client in VLAN 53 (10.81.53.26)

If I traceroute the GW
    traceroute to 10.81.16.1 (10.81.16.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 10.81.67.1 0.697 ms 0.473 ms 0.510 ms

If I traceroute the Smoothwall 
    traceroute to 10.81.16.5 (10.81.16.5), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
    1 10.81.67.1 0.513 ms 0.451 ms 0.334 ms
    2 * * *  And so on until the 30 count

if I ping/traceroute from the Switch it is active
    WBTC-Core# ping 10.81.16.5
    10.81.16.5 is alive, time = 1 ms
    WBTC-Core# traceroute 10.81.16.5
    traceroute to 10.81.16.5 ,
    1 hop min, 30 hops max, 5 sec. timeout, 3 probes
    1 10.81.16.5 6 ms 0 ms 1 ms
    WBTC-Core#

just not sure where the disconnect is ???,  I could be wrong but it seems as if the issue is at the AP end??

UPDATE 2: I'm having one of them IT weeks, on testing a connected client on Guest this morning it functions it can ping the final route (10.81.16.5) and is getting internet access, I still have to lock it down, set the proxy, and authenticate from AD.

So now it's all working, just a simple question:  Why !!  (Why can the connected client ping the final route (10.81.16.5) when the console of the AP cannot).

Simon

Simon Harbinson

• 4.  RE: IP 535 & 2930M L3 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 16, 2020 10:52 AM
    There is a lot of fragmented information, so let me summarize what I think:
    The 2930M is the L3 router in your branch (do you have the command 'ip routing' in your config?)
    The 2930M has 5 VLANs, 16 = kind of server VLAN where the switch is 10.81.16.1 and there is a firewall to the internet at 10.81.16.5; VLAN67 is management network for your IAPs, 65 is for guest, 53 is also a VLAN.
    Does your firewall have a static route back to the subnets like 10.81.67.0/24 to your switch? That is needed for the firewall to reach back to your clients. You could add a static route for 10.81.0.0/16 (netmask 255.255.0.0) to your 2930M 10.81.16.1, and that will allow the traffic back.
    As your servers have the default gateway to the 2930M, that has a route back already and would explain why devices are reachable internally, just not to/from the internet/firewall.

In your earlier diagram you have in the switch config for vlan 65 an IP 10.81.67.1, which can be absolutely valid, but in general people keep the numbers aligned to the VLAN id, so 10.81.65.1 on vlan 65, 10.81.67.1 on vlan 67.

If this doesn't solve it, a more detailed diagram and the output of the switch 'show ip' would be really helpful.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: IP 535 & 2930M L3 Switch

Posted Dec 16, 2020 01:31 PM
    HI Herman, yes sorry I do suffer from supplying information overload.   

Yes your correct L3 Switch has IP Routing enabled everything else is as you say, the config for vlan 65 an IP 10.81.67.1 I just mistyped but say you have said below people keep the numbers aligned to the VLAN id, as we do.

I cannot remember setting the route back on the firewall so more than likely missed that i'll check tomorrow, in fact more i think about it it's probably what is causing the issue with Radius Auth for the guest network, that is my research tonight.

With all the information above I was trying to say that the setup is functioning with connected clients, they get the required IP, access to the internet via the firewall, this is while there are no restrictions and we are using the local DB for authentication.

When in the console on the Cluster it cannot get to the firewall butI i'll check out route back tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the issue.

Thanks Simon

Simon Harbinson