Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I add Aruba 515 AP to grow an existing Virtual Controller cluster of Aruba IAP305

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Can I add Aruba 515 AP to grow an existing Virtual Controller cluster of Aruba IAP305

Posted Jul 12, 2021 02:01 PM
    Hi all,

We have a customer who is looking to add more APs to their existing cluster, the current cluster consists of 7 Aruba IAP305 all managed through Virtual Controller. The plan is to add 6 more APs to this Virtual Controller managed cluster of APs.

The current model for consideration is the Aruba 515 AP, I understand from reading documentations that the Unified function of the newer APs like the 515s allow them to be either an IAPs or normal AP, but I also want to confirm if they are compatible and if this would work.

I am very new to Aruba, so I have the below questions just be be certain about this;

Is the AP 515 the appropriate choice for growing the cluster (compatibility wise)

Would the AP 515 when added to the cluster register and join seamlessly or would it require installing the Instant OS on it before adding to the cluster (I understand all APs in the VC cluster must run the same OS version)

Thank you in advance
    Babs

------------------------------
    Babatunde Onafeso

• 2.  RE: Can I add Aruba 515 AP to grow an existing Virtual Controller cluster of Aruba IAP305

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2021 08:27 PM
    yes your IAP-305 and AP-515 are compatible and both support the latest firmware version which is 8.8.
    if you are using Aruba Central  or Airwave you can ensure when you update the firmware, both models gets updated.
    if you are not using Central or Airwave then you need to manually ensure the two models are upgraded to the same firmware version.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Can I add Aruba 515 AP to grow an existing Virtual Controller cluster of Aruba IAP305
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2021 08:39 AM
    Hi,

Whilst this is supported I would not recommend mixing Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) & Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) access points where there is a possibility that client would roam between them. I've heard reports where certain clients prefer ax or ac which causes roaming issue. I've alse seen this when adding ac APs in existing n deployments (a long time ago).

With how bad client roaming can be I'd be reluctant to add anything which might make it worse.

James Whitehead

• 4.  RE: Can I add Aruba 515 AP to grow an existing Virtual Controller cluster of Aruba IAP305

Posted Jul 30, 2021 09:01 AM
    Hi, 

Thank you for the response, this is the kind of thing I was afraid of, so we convinced the customer to upgrade the entire cluster to the 515 APs

Babatunde Onafeso