Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

"Enable Guest Bonjour multicast" not working across APs

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  "Enable Guest Bonjour multicast" not working across APs

Posted Nov 01, 2021 03:40 PM
    Does anybody know if Bonjour/mDNS will work on a guest network across APs?  My IAP cluster is running 8.6.0.9

I am in a situation where I am trying to get Bonjour/mDNS working on a guest network. The guest network is a "magic" vlan or VC-assigned network. Specifically, I want to get an iPad to find an AirPrint printer. I am able to get the iPad to find the printer as long as both devices are connected to the same AP. If the devices are connected to different APs then the printer is not found.

I have tried a number of settings without any luck. Both of these settings variations work, but only if the devices are connected to the same AP.

(network) broadcast filtering: ARP
    (network) DMO: enabled
    (airgroup) Enable Guest Bonjour multicast: enabled
    or
    (network) broadcast filtering: disabled
    (network) DMO: anything
    (airgroup) Enable Guest Bonjour multicast: enabled

------------------------------
    Andrew Lowther

• 2.  RE: "Enable Guest Bonjour multicast" not working across APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2021 01:40 AM
    I doubt that it'll work because traffic exiting the magic VLAN will be source NATed

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: "Enable Guest Bonjour multicast" not working across APs

Posted Nov 03, 2021 12:32 PM
    Thanks for the reply.  In my situation both devices are on the Guest network so the traffic does not need to exit the magic VLAN, just get forwarded within it.

I did manage to sniff the network traffic on the uplink port of an AP.  I see that the AP sends normal traffic (e.g. a ping to 1.1.1.1) from the device on the guest network to the IAP VC.  However, the AP does not send the Bonjour/mDNS traffic.

Andrew Lowther