Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

Posted Nov 11, 2021 03:43 AM
    Hi.

I would like to know if bandwith limit configured on a specific role have priority over bandwith limit configured at SSID level.

For example:

• I have configured a bandwith limit at SSID level of 10Mbps.
    • I have configured a bandwith limit to role guest of 20Mbps.

A user get connect to my Instant Cluster, and I give him from my Clearpass guest role. That user is going to have 20Mbps or 10Mbps bandwith limit?

Regards,

------------------------------
    Marcos Gonzalez

• 2.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2021 05:14 AM
    That is a situation that doesn't make sense, but I would guess that it will be less than 10Mbps as the SSID limit is shared across all users on the same SSID on the same Instant AP. These limits are a maximum, so in all cases it will be 'not more than', but there is no guarantee that the limit will be reached if there is other traffic, or signal strengths forbid.

There has been quite some research on bandwidth limits for WiFi, and a common view is that you should not do it unless you have a very good reason. Behind this idea is that if you limit bandwidth, you leave available airtime or capacity unused, and in that perspective, it is best to pass data as quick as possible to keep the capacity for the future. Sometimes there are monetization reasons behind it, but in general not technical reasons.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

Posted Nov 11, 2021 06:30 AM
    Hi.

This limitation is for a guest network in a hotel, so there is a "monetization" reason. I just want to give specif customers a "special treatment"

I know I can do it in another way, but I'm just curious.

Regards,

Marcos Gonzalez

• 4.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

Posted Nov 22, 2021 04:48 PM
    Hello everyone, 

my question is related to the same topic.

for per client traffic shaping do i need a PEF licenses? 

i have regular WPA2 perosnal SSID and need to shape bandwith, each connected device should have 1 mb/ps. i know that this can be done from Roles , but do i need PEF license for that ?

regards

Temur Kalandia

• 5.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2021 05:00 AM
    Yes. Any role except for authenticated is covered under the PEF license. So you can't create roles unless you have a PEF license.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

Posted Nov 23, 2021 05:36 AM
    Hi, 

it means that i can cerate WPA2 personal SSID  and attach role "authenticated", after assign traffic shaping to that roles? will that works without PEF ? am i correct?

Temur Kalandia

• 7.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

Posted Nov 23, 2021 05:58 AM
    additionally,  i just checked and there no possibility to change default "logon" to "authenticated"  rule without PEF. 

do i need to enable PEF check box only , but without license?

Temur Kalandia

• 8.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2021 05:27 AM
    Traffic shaping is tied to roles and the role-based firewall, thus PEF license is needed for that. You cannot really change logon or authenticated.

Your use-cases seem to use PEF features and need a PEF license for that.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 9.  RE: SSID Bandwith limit vs Role bandwith limit

Posted Nov 24, 2021 05:32 AM
    thank you very much

Temur Kalandia