Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Aruba Instant Wi-Fi: Meet the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set-up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget.
Expand all | Collapse all

Debating controller or not

• 1.  Debating controller or not

Posted 11 days ago
    We currently has a cluster of 124 APs.  Debating moving to a controller to extend life of some of them.  Mainly 215, in our current example.

My question in concerning WPA3 and other functionality.  I know that future releases are dropping support for the 215, but will getting a controller extend the life enough, or give me functionality that we would normally lose on the Instant side.

We also have 315, 325, etc. for about half our number.  215 and 225 for the other half.

------------------------------
    Shane Farmer

• 2.  RE: Debating controller or not

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Shane,

You can choose between Aruba Central and Controller based Infrastructure.
    When it comes to Controller Based Infrastructure, you can choose between hardware and software based, though i would suggest you to check which APs are supported on which lowest ArubaOS and then compare it with the WLC (if the WLC supports that ArubaOS),.

In the regards to Aruba Central, depending on what types of configuration you want to have, you always have the latest features already in place, and you don't need to worry if your "existing controller" will support those features, if it is hardware ready, etc. You can avoid the headache of managing the latest releases, upgrades and you have maximum uptime (no need to create redundant complex controller environment) etc. Depending on the strategy (if you are allowed to use cloud environment) and the budget, for such infrastructure, i would go with Aruba Central.

Shpat

• 3.  RE: Debating controller or not

Posted 10 days ago
    Budget is my main concern, as it's been the same for last 6 years and have gone over last two due to COVID.  We seldom do subscriptions unless it's more cost-effective, which Central isn't.  Just a luxury.  Really our Instant cluster is fine, I was mainly just wondering if ArubaOS updates would still work on the 215 and equivalent units or not.  8.6.x.x is the last one supporting 215, for example, so can't go past that release with our 215.  If getting a controller would allow us to extend the life, then I would entertain the idea.  Same thing happened to us with the 103.  Couldn't upgrade to 8.x.x.x until we go rid of the 103s.

Another issue is WPA3.  If going to a controller doesn't change the ability to do WPA3, then that's another con for us.  If it does allow the 215 to do WPA3, then that would also extend the life for us.  If it's just a hardware issue and not software, then that would require a hardware upgrade anyway.

--
    Shane Farmer
    Director of Technology, Lawson School District

816-580-7270 x590 | 816-296-2005 DID | 417-251-1751 mobile | farmers@lawsoncardinals.org | 
    http://lawsoncardinals.org | Skype: farmeunit | 600 Bob Gill Dr., Lawson MO  64062
    "Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised) are called hardware; those program instructions that you can only curse at are called software."

• 4.  RE: Debating controller or not

Posted 10 days ago
    On a long run, you are right, there will be a lot of AP Deprecated with each version passing by, and so will Wireless Controllers.

However on Aruba OS 8.7 (the latest) i see that AP210 and AP220 Series are supported, so if you move to a controller environment, you still would be having all of your AP's run on the WLC however you will not be able to use WPA3 unfortunately for those AP (i suppose due to hardware limitations).

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00101266en_us , on page 22.

However, you will need a lot of licenses to be purchased such as: Access Point Licenses, Policy Enforcement License, RF Protect Licenses, etc.

In the regards to instant AP, you could roll out Aruba Instant OS 8.5 and have WPA3 features supported
    https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00100579en_us , on page 15.
    Also here, the WA3 will not be available for the AP 210 and 220.

So, it means you need to start and swap the IAP210 & IAP220, and if not scaling to a larger number of AP, then remain to Instant infrastructure, due to low budget investment.

Shpat