Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

Posted Oct 03, 2021 05:44 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this question, but I'm missing it!,

Why in a AP-515/AP-505H cluster of 7 APs do I always see the "Power" column of the Summary -> Access Point screen saying "9 dbm" even if I set the radios differently in the ARM section of the AP config? Is that power really the lowest detectable signal once the noise is removed, i.e. the received signal strength and not the transmit power? In other words, if the noise floor was -10 dbm, and not -98 dbm, would the "Power" need to be higher to overcome the amount of noise?

My customer is seeing drops on devices which are 20 ft away from an AP and I need to make sure the signal they're getting is of sufficient power. Their client ends up seeing 17 or so in the Signal portion of the RF Dashboard. I can adjust the radios' power via ARM, but I need some way to prove to them that the power is what it says...their current measurement is to tell me "I had 3 bars, and now I have 1", doesn't help them much!

Most devices at this client are Apple phones and iPads.

The current version of the cluster's firmware is 8.8.0.1, but for other older clusters, with 8.6.x.x, this still is an issue. 

Is this a bug in the GUI, or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks,

Ambi

------------------------------
    Ambidexter

• 2.  RE: IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2021 06:30 PM
    You have two three issues:

Your bands for wide channels should be either "none" or 5ghz.  Allowing 40mhz on 2.4ghz will cause the problems you are witnessing with drops. Client aware should be unchecked.  Also your regulatory domain you valid 2.4ghz channels should only be allowing 1,6,11 instead of all channels 1-11.  Lastly, your transmit power is so low due to the interference caused by your existing configuration (running wide bands or 40mhz channels on 2.4ghz band).  Fix the first two issues and you might have fewer disconnects.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

Posted Oct 03, 2021 08:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I can certainly try those items. I have restricted channels where IDS shows offending, local, interference from other endpoints or APs which are not the client's (i.e. 1, 6, 11, etc.) . I have tried the various Apple-centric ways of client-following for APs so that's why Client Match and other IEEE options are used.

My original question is why is every has the low value for "Power". I may have found out. If I look in RF -> Radios, on the GUI, I see no changes:

But if I look in the config, the g and a radio profiles look like this:

rf dot11g-radio-profile
    max-distance 0
    max-tx-power 9
    min-tx-power 6
    disable-arm-wids-functions off
    free-channel-index 40

rf dot11a-radio-profile
    max-distance 0
    max-tx-power 18
    min-tx-power 12
    disable-arm-wids-functions off

This seems to happen because editing "default" allows us to change the values, but they still show up as "default" with no other values in the GUI?

Does the "default" profile really limit the radios this much? Or is this something that's not really happening but shows up in the config? Is this why the max transmit power is so low - despite me putting 24 dbm on the ARM profile? 

Thanks,

Ambi

Lawrence Brandt

• 4.  RE: IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2021 08:38 PM
    the per radio profiles do override the ARM profiles.  You should edit them and ensure the ARM client aware is off.  It could take some time for the channels to change, but the transmit should change fairly quickly.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

Posted Oct 03, 2021 08:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks again!

OK, I can turn Client-Aware off, but I thought that keeping existing clients on the AP they got the best signal was a good idea? So when Client Aware is off  (in the ARM profile), clients will move more? I thought CA "knew" when the signal was too weak and chose another AP that was stronger? Or is that another option?

Thanks,
    -Ambi

Ambidexter

• 6.  RE: IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

Posted Oct 03, 2021 09:25 PM
    Oh,

And also, should I leave the "defaults" blank in the radio profiles? Or just make them 'higher' than the ARM settings?

-Ambi

Ambidexter

• 7.  RE: IAP-515 cluster - why does AP power column always says 9dbm, even if I set the APs to be 22 or something else?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2021 10:03 PM
    Client Aware just means that the AP will not change channel when clients are associated and are passing meaningful traffic.  

You should put in the radio profile what you want the true min/max to be.