Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

This thread has been viewed 64 times
  • 1.  IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

Posted Sep 27, 2021 01:32 AM
    I'm currently looking at an IAP-535 and an IAP-555. I have an Aruba switch with a default config on the ports (i.e. no LACP) and spanning tree is enabled. When I connect either of the IAPs, a loop appears to form and the network comes to a halt.

I thought the IAPs would go into an active/standby configuration for Eth0 and Eth1. Does anyone know how to configure an active/standby configuration on the IAPs?

Both IAPs are running 8.6.0.9.

• 2.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 02:24 AM
    you dont need to do anything on the APs, they will detect LACP negotiation, but you need to configure your LAN switch port for LACP.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

Posted Sep 27, 2021 03:19 AM
    Thanks for replying. I'm only testing the APs but I had hoped not to use LACP on the switches for two reasons. Firstly, I had hoped it would be possible to run the two ports to two different switches, giving redundancy if one switch path fails. Secondly, I read that you can't dynamically configure LACP on switch ports (I haven't researched this).

• 4.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 03:53 AM
    well you need to configure LACP on your switches and you can connect the different ports of APs to different LAN switches if they are part of the same switch stack.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 05:41 AM
    to my understanding, if an IAP/AP has two ethernet ports, configures as uplink, they will work in active/backup mode. Only if they detect LACP BPDU's from the switch, they will also form an LACP link aggregation. Below is from the current Manual:

"When Eth0 and Eth1 ports are configured for uplink, both the ports are bonded together in a virtual interface called bond0. Bond0 functions as a single uplink interface and provides layer 2 redundancy for the AP by purposing one port as the active uplink port and the other port as a backup uplink port. The operation mode of individual Ethernet ports can be configured to operate either as an uplink or downlink port, in both single uplink and dual uplink APs."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 6.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 05:48 AM
    thats correct and  my understanding too.

• 7.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 06:07 AM
    Hi! but "Only if they detect LACP BPDU's from the switch, they will also form an LACP link aggregation" is really true without manually changing the default Eth1's operating mode mode from "Platform default" to "Uplink"? I'm OK with the requirement of having LACP properly configured on the switch side.

As I read the tutorial published here few minutes ago, I'm under the impression the above is not (always? in any-case?) so-automatic, at least leaving the Wireless AP Ethernet port Eth1 in its default mode as per scenario and Aruba AP models/software version considered.

Davide Poletto

• 8.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 06:58 AM
    this is true. you should look into the manual, there is a list of AP's which support the behaviour above:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Aruba-Instant-8.x-Books/89/Aruba-Instant-8.9.0.0-User-Guide.pdf

page 440

look for "Default Operation Mode of Ethernet Ports"

Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 9.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 09:23 AM
    Hi Florian,

sorry to bother you...my question was more aimed to discover the logic (and the consequentiality) behind that assumption. Maybe I'm totally on the wrong path...so be patient and correct me!

Let me to suppose that: since all APs with Dual Uplinks [1] have their Eth0 and Eth1 ethernet interfaces both operating in "Uplink" mode [2] then the switch interfaces (where the AP interfaces are both concurrently connected to) could be configured as a links aggregation (LACP) to cope with what that AP is able to expect and capable of manage (this is a LAG versus non-LAG scenario), if no LACP links aggregation is detected by said AP (no LACP PDUs are exchanged between the AP and the Switch [3]) then the AP automatically fallbacks into an alternative Active/Backup mode of operation for its Eth0/Eth1 ethernet interfaces even if Eth0 and Eth1 are preset for operating in "Uplink" mode.

Said so it seems the AP is capable of dynamically adapting (with no manual configuration) to what the peer at other end is configured with.

Is it correct?

[1] AP-318, 320 Series, 330 Series, 370 Series, 510 Series, 530 Series and 570 Series access points.
    [2] either considering that Eth1could be manually set with the explicit "Uplink" setting or considering it can be left with the "Platform default" default setting.
    [3] it could happen also for the opposite reason: the Switch is preset with LACP Links Aggregation but the AP have Eth0 in "Uplink" mode while the Eth1 is manually set in "Downlink" mode.

Davide Poletto

• 10.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2021 12:28 AM
    Hi Davide,

at least this is my understanding as well and this also is in line with the tests I did. But I was not testing all AP platforms. The mode of operation (running in LACP or Active/Backup) is selected during bootup. If you change the switch config, you need to reboot the AP to get this reflected in the mode of operation. 

You can use
    show lacp status​

and check if the IAP is running in your desired mode. 

BR
    Florian

Florian Baaske

• 11.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

Posted Sep 27, 2021 07:27 PM
    Hi ariyap,

The 8.6 instant guide says "The eth1 port as the primary Ethernet uplink and eth0 as the backup Ethernet uplink by default" when referencing AP-318 and 370 Series access points. Does this not apply to IAP-535 and IAP-555? And if not, does it only support LACP?

• 12.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 07:54 PM
    no that will not apply to AP-535/555

• 13.  RE: IAP-535 and IAP-555 Dual Ethernet Loop

Posted Sep 27, 2021 08:47 PM
    Ok, thank you for confirming. It would appear that 8.6 might not be the best firmware to run, if dual ethernet ports are required and LACP isn't an option.