Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Eth1 Port and Downstream VLANs

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  IAP Eth1 Port and Downstream VLANs

Posted May 10, 2021 10:44 AM
    Airheads!

I have an IAP-225 (8.6.0.1) where we would like to have a downstream switch from Eth1 with several VLANs. The Eth0 port is on our wired LAN, native untagged VLAN 13. We have 3 other VLANs (14-16) tagged on that port from the upstream switch. We would like Eth1 to essentially replicate those VLANs through Eth1 to a downstream switch. That downstream switch has its uplink (from Eth1 on IAP) configured with native untagged VLAN 13, and tagged VLANS 14-16. The remainder of the ports on that switch are untagged on various VLANs 13-16.

What we configured:
    In Config > Networks, I created a new "eth1" wired profile, with the following settings:
    Primary usage: Employee
    Admin status: Up
    Mode: Trunk
    Client IP Assignment: Network assigned
    Native VLAN: 13
    Allowed VLANS: All
    Port type: Trusted
    For the Assignment I put this eth1 wired profile on all ports except 0/0

When we connect to any of the ports on the switch, including those with native untagged VLAN13, we don't get IP assignments from the DHCP server. We have all the IP helpers setup, which works across VLANs, just not through the IAP. If we plug that downstream switch to the cable currently going into Eth0 on the IAP, all of the VLANs work as expected, so surely I am missing something with the IAP setup.

Question is, what am I missing?

------------------------------
    Mike Martinez

• 2.  RE: IAP Eth1 Port and Downstream VLANs

MVP GURU
    Posted May 11, 2021 06:58 AM
    I'm not sure this is a supported topology. Can you explain the use case? Why would you need to feed a switch off an AP?

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: IAP Eth1 Port and Downstream VLANs

Posted May 11, 2021 09:04 AM
    This actually ended up working, exactly as configured. I discovered that the wired network profile I created above was not applying to the eth1 port on the IAP. I updated the FW to latest version (8.6.0.8) and it started working, but it may have just needed a reboot. So easy to overlook to simple things sometimes!

The use case here is that we have a single network drop (to the IAP) in a large warehouse where the customer wanted to add a couple workstations, IP phones, and an IP camera; all of which run on different VLANs. Rather than running new cables, we wanted to try a solution that did not involve the extra work/cost. So we threw in a small managed switch we had on hand and configured the IAP eth1 as mentioned, and it is working just swell. For just 2 workstations, 2 IP phones, and 1 camera this solution ought to work just fine.

Mike Martinez