Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP making a high-pitched sound

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  IAP making a high-pitched sound

Posted Apr 09, 2021 12:51 PM
    I had a user report that the IAP-305 in a classroom was making a high-pitched 'whistling' noise - by the time I got there to investigate the noise had stopped. The LEDs looked normal and the web interface and Airwave both showed the IAP up and connecting clients with no abnormal readings jumping out.

I'm not completely sure the sound came from the IAP - I wasn't there when it happened - but is it possible that these devices would sound an audible alert in some circumstance? In all the years we've been using them I've never experienced that.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Jon Koelker

• 2.  RE: IAP making a high-pitched sound

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 09, 2021 03:56 PM
    Yes its possible, had a one time experience on an AP-315 that make a whistling noise, after a couple of weeks it was dead. An AP should not make any noise, keep a close look at it and when its not acceptable create a Support TAC case and ask for replacement.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 3.  RE: IAP making a high-pitched sound

Posted Apr 13, 2021 12:32 PM

Hello, Marcel – thanks for the info! Good to know. I'll be keeping an eye (and an ear) on the IAP!

jk

• 4.  RE: IAP making a high-pitched sound

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2021 07:40 PM
    I'm not aware of a mechanism within the AP-315 that is designed to make noise. There is no audible alert by design.

Whistling would indicate that something within the AP is doing something it shouldn't. Capacitors can squeal and often indicates that the capacitor is about to fail. There are other components that may whistle possibly. 

Marcel recommended a TAC case and I would agree. If it occurs again then log a ticket for it and if it's persistent or annoying then a replacement under warranty shouldn't be too hard to arrange.