Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

Posted Apr 07, 2022 11:15 AM
    I've got some legacy IAP-105 for basic WiFi that are working fine.  But I was trying to find out what the last/latest FW these devices can run and where to find it.  So far my searches have taken me away from Aruba, but maybe those are the only sources now.

Thx

------------------------------
    Peter McWilliams

• 2.  RE: IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 07, 2022 03:12 PM
    Latest firmware for the Aruba Instant IAP-105 can be found here.

https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;fileTypes=SOFTWARE;products=Aruba%20Access%20Points;productSeries=Aruba%20100%20Series%20Campus%20Access%20Points;softwareMajorVersions=6.4.4.8-4.2;fileContents=Software

If you don't have an account you can try to call Aruba TAC Support.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 3.  RE: IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2022 03:22 PM
    Here is a link to compatibility on firmware for AOS and Instant.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/matrix/matrix_WLAN-platforms-software-support-matrix.pdf

Greg Thiesen

• 4.  RE: IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

Posted Apr 20, 2022 11:45 AM

Hi Marcel, 

My company has 8 IAP-105 that apparently haven't been updated since 2014 when they were first installed. They're running version 6.2 which dates back to 2012 according to the platform support matrix posted by Greg Thiesen in this thread. I would like to upgrade to the latest version you just linked to but I'm honestly pretty nervous about it. Should I expect everything to still work after the update? it seems like such a huge jump and I'm not sure what I would/could do if something went wrong. I have backed up my config in the event of a problem but I assume that would only be useful if I also was able to revert to the very old version of the firmware I'm currently running (but don't have an image for).

The network is running ok but I have some newer Windows laptops that I can't seem to get connected. We're just running very basic WPA-2 Personal security so it's a very a rudimentary (and likely insecure) configuration. After entering the passphrase Windows just says "Can't connect to this network" without any details as to why. I've done the basic Network Reset on the devices that can't connect but not much beyond that. 

I sincerely appreciate any guidance you might have. 

Thank you!

Jon Hunsicker

• 5.  RE: IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2022 12:44 PM
    For such a simple configuration, just WPA2-PSK, I would not be too worried about the step 6.2 to 6.4.

If you want to be more safe, what you could do is take one of the APs and put them on a separate network, like in your home (though make sure you have the client VLANs, if configured); then upgrade that AP... test is all works... then unplug/poweroff all the other APs, bring up the new/upgraded APs and once that is up and running add the other APs. Those will take the firmware and configuration from your upgraded and tested APs.

If you have issues after the upgrade, plug in the upgraded AP back in the network and it will downgrade and sync config again.

This process should be all relatively safe. Please be advised that the IAP105 and firmware are end-of-support, which means you cannot contact support if you have issues. For use in production, like your company, it may be better to upgrade to supported APs and firmware version.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: IAP-105 Legacy Firmware

Posted Apr 20, 2022 02:40 PM

Hi Herman,

Thank you so much for the reply. If I disconnect one of the APs and then upgrade the rest of them to the newest firmware, would I later be able to, in the event that something went wrong with the update, deploy the old firmware and configuration using the unit that was powered off when I upgraded the rest? I have also downloaded a copy of my current firmware from the support portal. If I have that and a copy of my current config backup am pretty safe to upgrade? As long as there is a reasonable path to rolling things back I think I'll go ahead with the firmware update tonight.

We do plan to upgrade our hardware this summer now that we know these units are EOL but we need to get through our current peak season first. I'm hoping the firmware upgrade will solve some of the connectivity issues we've had with newer laptops.

Thank you!

Jon

Jon Hunsicker