Community Feedback

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

Posted Jul 13, 2020 09:49 AM

I work in a hospital and a vendor for some of the equipment the sends telemetry data wirelessly to monitoring stations is wanting to put their own infrastructure in for the equipment and they want us to dedicate 3 channels from the 5GHz band to accommodate them. I have never heard of equipment needing their own dedicated channels when every piece of wireless equipment has the ability to autodetect the least obtrusive channel to use automatically. I am thinking they are being ridiculous and don't want to do it with he thought that if we cater to this vendor, then we will cater to someone else and soon be out of channels for our own equipment. Has anyone ever heard of this practice or am I correct in thinking that this vendor is being crazy?

• 2.  RE: Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

Posted Jul 13, 2020 10:55 AM

Hi,

First time I saw this type of requirement. But you can serve this requirement by configuring radio profile in the access point.

• 3.  RE: Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2020 11:04 AM

It all depends on which 3 channels.  If they are non-DFS channels that should be a hard NO, because they would literally be taking away from your infrastructure.  You should ask them if other customers are doing it this way and ask them to talk to those customers.  You should also ask if there is another more reliable way to deploy this with existing wifi without giving up spectrum, which is very precious in a hospital.

• 4.  RE: Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

Posted Jul 13, 2020 11:25 AM

They are "letting" us choose the 3 channels, but they have to be non-DFS channels. I was thinking the same thing. I almost flipped when they told me the requirements. I'm just trying to get backup from the community for the higher ups and was making sure I wasn't just dealing with something that might be common. They say other companies have given them the channels, but I don't know.

• 5.  RE: Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2020 11:29 AM

Ask them to let you speak to those companies.  That would be a hard no in most circumstances, especially if you have to give up those channels in an entire building...

• 6.  RE: Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

Posted Jul 13, 2020 11:31 AM

That's what I thought. Thanks for the feedback!

• 7.  RE: Equipment vendor asking for 5GHz channels to be dedicated for their equipment

Posted Mar 15, 2022 10:36 AM
    @cgmcknight - did you end up going with the vendor who asked you to dedicate to them 3 channels .. and then did you dedicate them their 3 channels?  Or did you go w/ someone else?  I'm in the same situation likely with the same vendor and was just wondering what you ended up doing. 

@cjoseph - do you have a good "eli5" or "for dummies" reference I could use to share w/ management why dedicating 3 of our channels are bad especially in a hospital setting? 

Thanks​​​​

------------------------------
    Ben Fiser
    ------------------------------