Community Feedback

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Switch 2530-24G complete reinstall

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Switch 2530-24G complete reinstall

Posted Dec 10, 2021 10:16 AM

Hi,

I inherited a switch 2530-24G and I tried to reset it to set up a fixed IP + web management interface. The factory reset procedure went OK, I could set name and IP but there was no way to have the management interface up and running despite the fact using show console the service was marked as turned ON.

So I (wrongly) thought I could erase everything and start from scratch with a new firmware... However after hours of tries I can't put a firmware on this machine using xmodem protocol.

When it boots:

ROM information:
    Build directory: /ws/swbuildm/lakesrom_qaoff/rom/build/lakesrom(swbuildm_lakesrom_qaoff_smb)
    Build date: Oct 31 2012
    Build time: 15:27:40
    Build version: YA.15.12
    Build number: 11165

Error, /cfa0/boot.ini corrupted; please reboot to console and repair.
    Could not open Image file

Bad code in FLASH

Flash memory needs reprogramming or chassis could be faulty.
    Use a PC as the console and perform the update procedure
    by serial Xmodem download of the current Switch Image.
    If unsuccessful w/ downloading, then try replacing chassis.

HP 2530-48G-PoE+ Switch - J9772(A)
    ROM Build Directory: /ws/swbuildm/lakesrom_qaoff/rom/build/lakesrom(swbuildm_lakesrom_qaoff_smb)
    ROM Version: YA.15.12
    ROM Build Date: 15:27:40 Oct 31 2012
    ROM Build Number: 11165

Copyright (C) 1995-2012 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND
    Confidential computer software. Valid license from HP required for possession,
    use or copying. Consistent with FAR 12.211 and 12.212, Commercial Computer
    Software, Computer Software Documentation, and Technical Data for Commercial
    items are licensed to the U.S. Government under vendor's standard commercial
    license.
    HEWLETT-PACKARD DEVELOPMENT COMPANY, L.P.
    20555 State Highway 249, Houston, TX 77070

Enter h or ? for help.

then using screen on Linux/MacOS or TeraTerm/ExtraPutty onWindows,  I tried to upload the firmware YA_16_04_0016.swi but after the upload nothing happens.

Following https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/WB/15-18/5998-8162_wb_2920_mcg/content/ch11s11.html I went up to the last line ... but the switch doesn't reboot nor display messages once the .swi file is sent

=>do

You have invoked the console download utility.Do you wish to continue? (Y/N)>

It's like it's downloaded in /dev/null ... I even waited a few hours in case it needed time to decompress or install itself
    I also retried with HyperTerminal/Putty and another .swi file (YA.16.11.0002) again, no reboot at the end of the file transfer and even after manually reboot it, the switch won't launch an image so, wether I'm uploading a wrong file or I missed several times accross several software the same option.
    I can't believe there's no way to push a firmware on a machine that expensive. Any ideas I should try ? Or is it now an expensive brick?

Many thanks

------------------------------
    Arnaud Fortier

• 2.  RE: Switch 2530-24G complete reinstall
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 29, 2021 12:08 PM
    So.. replying to myself...
    I did it thanks for all the help :-)
    I think the issue was that Windows 11 comes with crap driver ( who would believe that...) and out of ideas, I downloaded the same firmware as the other 2530-24G I have here : YA.15.12 and... inside there's a USB-serial driver installer...
    -> https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads/software/RmlsZTpjZmU4Yjk3Yy0zY2RjLTExZWMtODZmZi1lYjU4MGNkNGYzOWQ%3D
    This time upload/send using Xmodem was not starting with Hyper Terminal but with Tera Term it worked ! I even got the CRC message at the end. I reset the switch and tadaaa fresh out of the box interface with Firmware.

Arnaud Fortier