Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node

Posted Nov 17, 2017 04:53 AM

Hi All,

In tunnel node 4 2930M/F switches are stacked, so there are 4 physical switches and it is 1 logical switch group.

Question is that how many license are needed on the controller 4 or 1 license?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2017 05:59 PM

From a controller perspective stacking switches are considered as one switch. Therefore one license is needed for the "Per Port Tunneled Node" feature. Currently there are no licences needed for the "Per User Tunneled Node" feature.

• 3.  RE: Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node

Posted Nov 20, 2017 06:33 PM

Hi,

Is there any official documentation about that?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Zs

• 4.  RE: Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node

Posted May 23, 2018 06:07 PM

I read the ClearPass Solution Guide for Wired Policy Enforcement by Tim Cappalli and found myself asking the same question about per-user tunneled-node.  It clearly states that a switch stack consumes 1 license for per-port tunneled-node but then says nothing about the impact for PUTN.  I set up PUTN and saw no licenses used according to MM so I came out here looking for validation.  Thanks for your post and I hope this is included in future versions of the documentation.

• 5.  RE: Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2018 05:23 AM

For PUTN there is currently no license enforcement. This may change in the future.

• 6.  RE: Aruba switch stack licensing in tunnel node

Posted Jul 09, 2021 12:34 PM
    in case someone is reading now this old thread, here a recent update on VSF track and User-based tunneling UBNT (called previously PUTN)

- the current version of user based tunnel node now is 2.0 (the version listed above is the 1.0)
    - UBNT 2.0 is supported in AOS8.4+ and AOS 16.08+   
    - UBNT 2.0 requires a 1xlicense* per single switch  or 1xlicense per VSF stack 
    - UBNT 2.0 brings the following benefits: no need to configure user VLAN on the switch and waste time extending that VLAN all the way to the agg/core, all you need is to configure the VLAN @ the MCs level,

In my comment, I just highlighted some points, do more research to understand more, or if you are a partner go to afp.arubapedia.com more some great presentations.  

Note: * 1 switch license = 1 AP license