Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

This thread has been viewed 162 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 22, 2019 06:10 AM

Hello,

Did anyone get tacacs authentication and authorization working in Clearpass for the ArubaOS-CX switches?

I setup clearpass and configured the switch as follows:

tacacs-server host 10.13.111.19 vrf default
    aaa group server tacacs clearpass
    server 10.13.111.19 vrf default

tacacs-server key plaintext mypasskey123
    tacacs-server auth-type chap

aaa authentication login default group clearpass local

aaa authentication allow-fail-through

When I don't add the switch ip to the devices I get a message in the event viewer about a unknown NAD. Which is to be expected.

But when I do add the switch ip to the devices list with the key as defined in the switch I sometimes (almost never) see any messages anymore in the event viewer as well as the Access tracker.

I'm currently testing with ArubaOS-CX Version : TL.10.02.0001 and Clearpass 6.7.2

With kind regards,

Rens

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 23, 2019 12:57 PM

Hi Rensk,

it work for me...

Your ArubaCX is L3 Router ? (with multiple interface ?)

Do you have configure the ip souce interface for TACACS ?

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 24, 2019 08:09 AM

Hello alagoutte,

I'm currently testing with an empty switch. Only one L3 interface has been setup.

Anyhow I tested with setting up the source interface. No change in behaviour.

When I don't define the NAD in Clearpass or enter the wrong pre shared key I get a notification in the Event viewer every time I try to login. As soon as I define the correct NAD settings all notification dry up.

Nothing I the Event viewer; nothing in the access tracker.

Can you share your config? Wich ArubaOS-CX version are you using?

Regards,

Rens

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 24, 2019 02:21 PM

it is the same configuration (i try with 10.1 but i can look for try with 10.2)

You don't have forget to add TACACS Service ?

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 25, 2019 07:30 PM

Do you have a TACACS service configured in Clearpass? If you add the NAD, and it properly sends a request, you should see something in a access tracker

Can you run a show tacacs-server detail?
    also run a show aaa authentication?

Also, why do you have failthrough enabled? You only have one server in the server group, so it shouldn't be neccessary (unless my understanding of failthrough is wrong, and different then the WLCs)

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 26, 2019 03:33 AM

Hello cwickline14,

@cwickline14 wrote:

Do you have a TACACS service configured in Clearpass? If you add the NAD, and it properly sends a request, you should see something in a access tracker

I've just tested but only when I use PAP in stead of CHAP you see someting in the access tracker. With CHAP I almost never get someting in the access tracker.

Can you run a show tacacs-server detail?
    also run a show aaa authentication?

8320# show aaa authentication
    AAA Authentication:
    Fail-through : Enabled
    Limit Login Attempts : Not set
    Lockout Time : 300
    Minimum Password Length : Not set

Default Authentication for All Channels:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GROUP NAME | GROUP PRIORITY
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clearpass | 0
    8320# show tacacs-server detail
    ******* Global TACACS+ Configuration *******

Shared-Secret: AQBapeZNldLuxrMvpYdzUXZrR4sZ95R9PjZRHNpSp8QcCG/oDAAAAPdrx0iq4S50CpjxWw==
    Timeout: 5
    Auth-Type: chap
    Number of Servers: 1

****** TACACS+ Server Information ******
    Server-Name : 10.13.111.19
    Auth-Port : 49
    VRF : default
    Shared-Secret (default) : AQBapeZNldLuxrMvpYdzUXZrR4sZ95R9PjZRHNpSp8QcCG/oDAAAAPdrx0iq4S50CpjxWw==
    Timeout (default) : 5
    Auth-Type : pap
    Server-Group : clearpass
    Group-Priority : 1

Also, why do you have failthrough enabled? You only have one server in the server group, so it shouldn't be neccessary (unless my understanding of failthrough is wrong, and different then the WLCs)

If the clearpass servers aren't reachable I would like to have the ability to login to the switch with the local admin account. That's why I enabled failthrough.

Now I've enabled PAP it's sort of working

Screenshot_1.png

But I get two access requests. The first one fails with 

Tacacs server	Invalid Sequence number

Second one works.

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 26, 2019 10:39 AM

I just deployed the 10.02 OVA, and having the same issue. If i do PAP, it sends two requests, but I can access the switch.

However, when I do CHAP, I do still see the request in Clearpass, it just can't catergorize it.(I'm looking into that) In Access tracker, do a filter for the NAD ip address, and see if it shows up.

Edit**

A quick google search and I came across this https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/Clearpass-and-Fortigate-TACACS-auth-fail/td-p/315220

It seems like CHAP might not be supported in Clearpass...

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 26, 2019 10:42 AM

@cwickline14 wrote:

I just deployed the 10.02 OVA, and having the same issue. If i do PAP, it sends two requests, but I can access the switch.

However, when I do CHAP, I do still see the request in Clearpass, it just can't catergorize it.(I'm looking into that) In Access tracker, do a filter for the NAD ip address, and see if it shows up.

Missing CHAP on authentification method ? (you use TACACS ?)

I get same issue with RADIUS (about double request...) but coming from SSH Server of ArubaCX... (for discovery supported cipher...)

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 26, 2019 10:45 AM

There isn't a option to choose authentication methods for TACACS services, unless i'm missing something

TACACS_Screen.PNG

• 10.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 27, 2019 06:14 AM

Found this post from one and a half year ago https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security/Clearpass-and-Fortigate-TACACS-auth-fail/td-p/315220

According to this articile Tacacs+ with CHAP isn't supported on Clearpass

Can't confirm if it's true but this seems to match what we see

• 11.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2019 08:22 AM

Yes, no possible for the moment...

• 12.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Mar 11, 2019 01:24 PM

Hello,

Did you try defining the source interface for the TACACS? Try adding:

ip source-interface tacacs <<MGMT IP HERE>>

My switch was using some random VLAN in my default VRF as the source for TACACS. You can check to see if that's the case in the Event Viewer for ClearPass. You might see something like this:

Untitled.png

Let me know if that helps!

• 13.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 11, 2019 05:36 PM

No, it is not the same issue...

• 14.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 28, 2019 03:54 PM

Do you have try last release ? (10.02.0020)

SSH

CR_37061

Symptom: The switch incorrectly sends a default blank password attempt.

Scenario: When logging into the switch through SSH, the switch incorrectly has an automatic attempt

to log in with a blank password before the user receives the password prompt.

Workaround: There is no functional impact. Console login does not have the additional login attempt.

• 15.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Oct 07, 2020 02:28 PM

I realize this thread hasn't been updated in quite some time but I'm running into the same issue on an 8325 (firmware 10.04.3000) with ClearPass 6.8.7.

Similar to the original post I've setup TACACS auth on the switch pointing it to a ClearPass cluster, I never see any authentication attempts in Activity Monitor on ClearPass.

I've setup a number of other switches (CX 6400 and 6300 series) on the same firmware version that point to this same ClearPass server in exactly the same fashion using the exact same CLI commands on the switches for configuration.

Just wondering if this is still an outstanding issue in the 8300 series by chance?

• 16.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 07, 2020 03:40 PM

Hello Stevepo,

I believe it's working as it should. Can't confirm your exact software version. But I'm currently building a new network on 10.5.0011.

Tacacs is working fine,

Regards,

Rens

• 17.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Oct 08, 2020 09:44 AM

Thanks for checking back in and replying Rensk, I notice when I run a "show tacacs-server statistics" on the problematic switches I have a high count of "Packet Dropped" and "Auth reply malformed".  

Firmwares range from 10.04.0010 to 10.05.0011 across about 10 different CX switches, I don't see this on any other switch model / firmware version except my 8300 series.  The two 8300 series in question are in a VSX pair, authentication via TACACS using credentials defined in NetEdit seems to work as well as TACACS login via HTTPS, but logging into the switch via SSH with those same credentials fails, all TACACS attempts on the VSX peer switch fail (NetEdit, HTTPS and direct SSH login).  

I'll either upgrade to see if it resolves or drop Aruba TAC a case at this point and post back.

• 18.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Feb 22, 2021 12:01 PM
    I am also a bit stuck here. I was having accepts on 6.9.4 but the switch SSH would not connect consistantly and get the multiple server attempts in the TACACS group. 

Now after applying the 6.9.5 patch on CP which included that TACACS+ Fragmentation patch the SSH seems to work but I can't seem to get any authentications in the CP log for the HTTPS sessions to the switch on authentication. 

I am using aaa authentication login default group xxxXXX-T-TACACS local which should send the HTTPS session auths to CP but I am not seeing anything and get an invalid credentials message. 

------------------------------
    Christopher Calhoun
    ------------------------------

• 19.  RE: ArubaOS-CX Tacacs authentication

Posted Mar 18, 2021 01:28 PM
    Rens,

I realize this thread is dated, but you were correct the firmware version(s) was not the issue and TACACS was working as expected.  Mistake on my end, there were multiple IP interfaces defined on the particular switch(es) I was having the issues with.  I needed to add the following to specify which interface the TACACS requests should come from:

ip source-interface tacacs interface <interface name>

This resolved the issue for me as ClearPass then saw the request coming from the desired IP.  Just thought I'd post the follow up in case it helps anyone else out there searching.

Thanks,
    Steve