Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Using IGMP with 303H Wired ports

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Using IGMP with 303H Wired ports

Posted Jul 29, 2019 10:47 AM

We have deployed 303H Access Points with a 2930F Switch backbone for a hospitality customer. An AP is located in each hotel room and provides connectivity for the other IP services such as Voice and IPTV though the wired ports.

We are experiencing performance issues on the IPTV system and it appears to be down to management of the multicast traffic. I've enabled IGMP for the specific VLAN on the switches but I haven't seen any change to the traffic on the switch ports uplinking the access points across the rest of the network 

Has anyone out there had any experience with this kind of topology? I have had very little experience with IGMP and am not sure how deep I will need to dive before finding a resolution!

Any pointers are very welcome.

• 2.  RE: Using IGMP with 303H Wired ports

Posted Jul 30, 2019 10:17 AM

Are you only using multicast over the wired interface?

Did you configure broadcast/multicast rate optimization, you can configure this on ssid, but also on vlan level.

If you enable igmp snooping, only active joiners will receive the multicast stream, so it will not over-flood the network, which is a good thing!

• 3.  RE: Using IGMP with 303H Wired ports

Posted Aug 01, 2019 08:46 AM

Thanks Fabian,

Yes, we only have a multicast service on the wired side and I didn't know that I could do the optimisation on a VLAN  basis and not just SSID. I haven't found anything on the CLI to enable IGMP snooping but when I use 'show ip igmp' I am seeing a group table showing members in the right VLAN so that appears to be working.

Things appear to have improved once I used Airgroup and enabled 'allowall' for the Airgroup Service but I'm still very unsure what the correct configuration should be. 

Thanks for your help.

• 4.  RE: Using IGMP with 303H Wired ports

Posted Nov 12, 2020 09:28 PM
    Getting ready to deploy this exact scenario.  Curious what your experience has been and if you got any further with configuration optimization?

------------------------------
    Del Bullion
    ------------------------------