Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

6200F 10G SFP

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  6200F 10G SFP

Posted Jul 16, 2021 10:59 PM
    I have a 6200F setup in a lab environment for the purposes of learning Aruba AOS-CX.
    I am attempting to create a trunk to another switch with a 6200F and I intend to set the speed statically on it on both switches.
    The 6200F switch indicates the ports are 10G capable, however the interface config does not appear to give that option.  Any thoughts on what I am missing here? Thank you.

6200(config)#int 1/1/25
    6200(config-if)# speed 
      10-full    10 Mbps, full duplex, no auto-negotiation 
      10-half    10 Mbps, half duplex, no auto-negotiation 
      100-full   100 Mbps, full duplex, no auto-negotiation 
      100-half   100 Mbps, half duplex, no auto-negotiation 
      1000-full  1000 Mbps, full duplex, no auto-negotiation 
      auto       Auto-negotiate speed and duplex 
    6200(config-if)# speed ​

------------------------------
    Administrator Eronetix

• 2.  RE: 6200F 10G SFP

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 19, 2021 03:46 AM
    Hi!

Could you paste the output of these interface-related CLI commands:

show interface 1/1/25 transceiver
    show interface 1/1/25 physical
    show interface 1/1/25 brief

Thanks.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: 6200F 10G SFP

Posted Jul 19, 2021 10:23 AM
    Hi,

No problem.  Here it is.  FYI,  I am using a SFP-10G-SR from Cisco and I have enabled allow-unsupported-transceiver on the 6200F.  I'm OK with it not working currently as it is an unsupported transceiver, but I would think it would at least show a configurable speed of 10G in the interface config.

6200# show interface 1/1/25 transceiver 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Port      Type           Product      Serial          Part        
                             Number       Number          Number      
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/1/25    SFP+SR*        --           --              --          

* unsupported transceiver

6200# show interface 1/1/25 physical 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Link    Admin         Speed           Flow-Control          EEE       PoE Power                                          Port
    Port        Type           Status   Config   Status | Config    Status | Config   Status | Config  (Watts)    State Information                      Description
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/1/25      SFP+SR         down     down     --       n/a       --       off      --       --       --        Administratively down                  --

6200# show interface 1/1/25 brief 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Port      Native  Mode   Type           Enabled Status  Reason                 Speed   Description
              VLAN                                                                 (Mb/s)  
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/1/25    3200    access SFP+SR         no      down    Administratively down  --      --

6200#​

Administrator Eronetix

• 4.  RE: 6200F 10G SFP

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 19, 2021 06:25 PM
    Hi,

"...I would think it would at least show a configurable speed of 10G in the interface config."

No it would not.

An SFP+ interface (port), provided that is equipped with a 1G SFP or with a 10G SFP+ SR Transceiver, works at the fixed speed of the inserted SFP/SFP+ Transceiver.

Generally speaking changing the speed settings in an SFP/SFP+ interface is not supported while a Transceiver is installed and it is operating into the port AND all supported optical transceivers operate only at a single speed/transmission rate (the one relevant for the Transceiver you're exactly using, as example at 1G, 10G, etc.).

In other words you can't "downrate" a 10G SFP+ Transceivers (or the SFP+ interface it is inserted into) that normally works at 10Gbps and force it to operate, example, at 1Gbps even if the Switch interface where the Transceiver is currently installed eventually support SFP Transceivers too (they operating at 1G or at lower speed, arriving at 100M too <- the Aruba 6200 doesn't support optical SFP Transceivers operating at 100M, just to say).

Davide Poletto