Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

5412r zl2 switch - installation of second management module

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  5412r zl2 switch - installation of second management module

Posted May 10, 2021 10:42 AM
    My 5412z zl2 switch currently has one management module installed.  If I install a second one, will we experience any downtime?  What happens if the version of ArubaOS on the new MM is newer that what's running on the existing one?

Support has recommended a firmware update to address an issue we're having, and I'd like to minimize downtime by having the second MM installed ahead of time.  Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    John Reeder

• 2.  RE: 5412r zl2 switch - installation of second management module

MVP GURU
    Posted May 10, 2021 01:45 PM
    Just stick it in and it should sync, reboot, and become standby. I would of course do it off hours, but shouldn't effect the traffic on the switch.

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: 5412r zl2 switch - installation of second management module

MVP GURU
    Posted May 10, 2021 06:31 PM
    Hello John,

"What happens if the version of ArubaOS on the new MM is newer that what's running on the existing one?"

How old is the ArubaOS-Switch version currently running on the installed Active MM?

I would probably follow the HPE Aruba support suggestion: first update the current Active MM, the AMM, with latest ArubaOS-Switch version, say with KB.16.10.0013, and then install the second MM.

As Dustin wrote, at the end of preliminary steps, the second MM will become automatically the Standby MM, the SMM: eventually you can then decide to switch from the default Warm Standby redundancy mode of operation of AMM/SMM to the NonStop Switching redundancy mode of operation of AMM/SMM, if you want.​

Davide Poletto