Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

This thread has been viewed 69 times
  • 1.  8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

Posted Sep 15, 2021 04:21 AM

Hi,

a 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

power-side is located at cold-site of data-center
    port-side is located at warm-side of data-center

So we always use power-to-port (or back-to-front) airflow switch models.
    But this does have an big disadvantage using the 8325 models. I did'nt find any air duct kit for this model.
    As shown in the pictures, to have an clear cold-side we had to mount the 8325 very inside of the rack, approx 20-30cm.
    This leads to more space requirement, because we had to left space above and below of the 8325 to have enough "room" for plugging the SFPs and Cables.

In Comparison we also have 8360 models with the air duct kit and their the power/cold-side is clear (closed), and the port/warm-side is aligned flush.

shows 8360 with air duct kit and 8325 without
    shows datacenter cold side (airflow power inside, port exhaust), 8325 without and 8360 with air duct kit

I don't know how many customers do have a similiar cold/warm design with switch port-side / patch-panels on the warm-side.
    In our case we do have 4 racks with 3 8325 (in sum 12 8325) which where mounted as shown below.

If there are such kits available for the 8325 it would be great. Then we could change the mounting before finally migrating to the new network infrastructure.

If not, I would make a innovation zone topic and contact our aruba partner for investigation @ Aruba. I had ask our partner before buying the switches, but the answer was, there is no air duct kit or similar for the 8325...

Thanks and kind regards

Robert

------------------------------
    Robert Großmann

• 2.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 15, 2021 06:43 AM
    Hi Robert, silly question: isn't the Aruba X544 Universal 4-Post Duct Kit (JL716A) "universal" enough to fit also on Aruba 8325 when the four posts universal rail kit (J9583B [*]) is used?

[*] The J9583B is a supported option for Aruba 8360 too so I believe the JL716A Duct Kit should be "agnostic" enough to be used also with any Aruba 83xx Switch series since it connects to the J9538B four posts rail kit and not directly to the switch's back. Isn't it?

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2021 04:14 AM
    We are checking internally at Aruba on the availability of a suitability Air Duct kit for the 8325 series

Steve Bartlett

• 4.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 16, 2021 06:30 AM
    Does it mean that the adjective "universal" used on the Aruba X544 Universal 4-Post Duct Kit (JL716A) description is a little bit too optimistic? at this point I'm very curious about that...

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

Posted Sep 16, 2021 09:16 AM

@Steve: Ok thank you. I would be very happy to hear from you.

@Davide: We received the 8325 before the 8360 (delivery delay), but for my sight the 8325 are sized bigger (dimensions) and differen designed on the back. I had to mount off a 8325 to test it with the other kit, but really prefer official feedback from product management.

I am aware that using the air duct kits means losing the hot swap ability of fans and power supplies, because you have to mount off the complete switch mount off the kit to switch the fans... I just hope this won't  happen anytime soon.

Robert Großmann

• 6.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 16, 2021 11:34 AM

Yeah, the backsides of Aruba 8325 and Aruba 8360 are quite different...I hope Aruba will solve your issue.

With regard to losing the ability to easily hot swap Fans and Power Supply modules...that's an interesting note. My ignorant assumption (I've not used the Air Duct kit yet) was that the air duct kit's cover should be an easily removable panel (it should slides if not secured by screws) but de-facto it was probably mechanically engineered to be exactly fixed with screws (not left unfixed)...in any case, I don't know if - fixed or not - that panel once removed let you to easily replace the Fans/Power Supply modules or not forcing you to slide the entire Switch out of its position.

Davide Poletto

• 7.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2021 03:20 AM
    Robert, you are best creating an innovation zone topic for this use case.

The JL716A Duct kit is designed /positioned for the 8360 series (not the 8325) and is there to support 8360 cooling because of its lack of depth (16") , as it is is unable to reach and get air at an aisle. 

Most DC switches like the 8325 series are 21" and are able to extend nearer to the aisle and get air . 

As Davide highlights, the product description for JL716A is a little misleading with the 'universal description, but I'm making an assumption that it is positioned for other switches that have a restrictive depth. I'll query this , I suspect this part number is aligned to other switches in Iris.

Regards, Steve

Steve Bartlett

• 8.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 17, 2021 06:16 AM
    Hi Steve, IIRC the JL716A Air Duct Kit should be also supported on the Aruba CX 6300M 48 ports Power-to-Port switch bundle (JL762A) which has a depth of 15.2" (38.5 cm).

Davide Poletto

• 9.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2021 10:46 AM
    Hi Davide,

yes it does seem like an anomaly. I'm making enquires internally and we'll see what follows. 

Steve Bartlett

• 10.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 17, 2021 04:11 PM
    Hi Steve, on the contrary I would say.

I meant to say that the support of Aruba CX 6300M Power-to-Port (JL762A) - along with the primary support of the Aruba 8360 (always in Power-to-Port configurations) - looks pretty reasonable to me for exactly the reasons you so well pointed out above (since both the Aruba CX 6300M and the Aruba 8360 are less deep than the Aruba 8325 and the Air Duct kit keeps the fresh air coming from the back cold aisle well directly canalized into the switch's Fans and Power Supplies avoiding the warm air inside the Rack to enter the chassis from the back, considering that we're speaking of power-to-port configurations with the cold air inlet happens on the power side).

With that regard I don't see any particular anomaly.

Davide Poletto

• 11.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2021 09:10 AM
    Circling back to this topic.

The JL716A 4-post duct kit is for the 8360 series only.  

regards, Steve

Steve Bartlett

• 12.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 22, 2021 09:52 AM
    Hi Steve, if the statement "The JL716A 4-post duct kit is for the 8360 series only." is true then Aruba has some homework to do...as example...to fix Aruba CX 6300 Switch Series QuickSpecs (Version 13, 2 August 2021) as soon as possible...not to speak about other technical presentations, IIRC one about Aruba 8360 in which the JL716A is presented also as a supported option specifically by the Aruba CX 6300M Power-to-Port (JL762A).

Davide Poletto

• 13.  RE: 8325 Hardware question: Is there a Air Duct Kit available? Like JL716A for the 8360?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2021 04:22 AM
    Indeed , the previous statement I made is incorrect David, ignore. Thanks for catching.

I should have stated that duct kit part number is only available for the 8360 series and not the 8325 series.

It is available for the 6300-M JL762A with power to port 

Steve Bartlett