Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

This thread has been viewed 141 times
  • 1.  8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 04, 2021 01:59 PM

Hi All,

I'm looking for some serious help configuring our new switches, I fear I'm either in over my head, or, it's not possible to do what I'm envisioning for this deployment.  I've read the AOS-CX Multi Chassis Link Aggregation Guide and I've seen the posts referring to Page 104 of the "VSX Configuration Best Practices for Aruba CX 6400, 8320, 8325, 8360, 8400", as well as the "VSX Stack to firewall" community post here, but I just can't seem to get it right.

I will pose the questions first, so whilst you're reading you can determine just how far off base or crazy I am...

1) Is implementing multiple MLAG's for different network segments between the Firewalls & Aruba 8320's possible?

2) Is implementing multiple MLAG's for different network segments between the Firewalls & Aruba 8320's the recommended way to accomplish what we need?

2a) If so, is there anyone out there that can help me from darn near the ground up get going in the right direction?

2a) If not, what is the best way to accomplish this with 8320's, and, can someone help get these up and running?

With all that said, on to the issue...

Currently we have a pair of FortiGate 800C's and a pair of HPE Flex Fabric 5700's (JG898A) in place, which we are replacing with a pair of FortiGate 1801F's and a pair of Aruba 8320's.  I'm having an issue both conceptually and literally implementing the MLAG between the Active/Passive Firewalls & Switches.

Currently we have the old school A Side / B Side failover where if one piece of gear in the "A" stack fails, pretty much everything just shifts over to the "B" stack.  I'd like to change that to what I "believe" is the better solution and use VSX (MLAG) between the 8320's & FW's.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure of the best way to implement the new gear, so I may be way off base.  I am at the point, due to extreme frustration and a severe time constraint, where I am ready to bail and just mirror the current A/B topology, but I'm hoping someone here can help me so it doesn't come to that.

Oversimplified, here is what I am trying to do:

The ultimate config though needs to have multiple MLAG's for each "segment" of our network (Mgmt LAN, Private LAN, DMZ LAN, DMZ-DB LAN, and Public WAN).

I haven't been able to confidently implement the first diagram, let alone the second.  I did have a configuration with 4 MLAG's (2 to each firewall – Mgmt LAN / Private LAN) setup, and was able to get traffic to traverse the switches and firewalls, and failover, but certain things just didn't "seem" right.  Traffic would traverse between two external devices, but the 8320's themselves couldn't ping anything, and neither could the firewalls.

Two more little tidbits.  First, our current switches handle the routing for traffic between certain segments so the traffic does not need to flow through the firewall.  Second, there is a stack of 3810M's that needs to sit downstream of the 8320's and have all the different network segments available there as well.

I know this was a tough read, and for anyone that has made it this far, I greatly appreciate your time!  As I mentioned before, I am under a severe time constraint, so if anyone out there can at least tell me with some certainty that Multiple MLAG's is the way to go or not, that would be a huge hue place to start.

Thank you all very much for your time!!!

------------------------------
    Clint

• 2.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 02:37 AM

Hi Clint,

If user traffic works, I guess the mc-lag should work as intended.
    I do not have a 8320, but several 8325 as VSX pairs.

Using one mc-lag or multiple mc-lag is just a design decision. 
    We do have several Links but with upgrading our (checkpoint) firewall we will switch to a single mc-lag with 25G Interfaces to simplify the cabling.

Do you have a routed connections between firewall and switch or do you just extend your VLANs to the firewall being the "central/core" of your network?
    Just to verify... Because you wrote: "First, our current switches handle the routing for traffic between certain segments so the traffic does not need to flow through the firewall."

Perhaps you can share your VSX and MC-LAG configuration.

If you are using routed Interfaces or transfer VLANs perhaps you have to add the the used IP-networks to your firewall security rules.
    Pinging from the Switch please check if you are using the right VRF and source interface.
    Even please check if ICMP is allowed on your firewall configuration (or firewall interface configuration), sometimes firewalls do not allow ping or other traffic to its interfaces, as they are not Management.

Kind Regards

Robert

EDIT:

Our firewall cluster connects to two different VSX Pairs. Firewall Room A to VSX Pair Room A and Firewall Room B to VSX Pair Room B.
    So it is a little different from your network diagram.

I would share a network-diagram, but I couldn't. 'Cause the picture upload seems not to work.

-----------------------------
    Robert Großmann

• 3.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2021 04:05 AM
    Few points:
    - what you try to achieve (as far as I can understand without the configuration) is perfectly possible and done by other people.
    - for the routing aspect, if your FW does not support ECMP, you may use recommendation of VSX best practice (p104):
    https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00094242en_us
    - the choice between 4 links in one big MCLAG (Aruba name is VSX LAG) or 2 MCLAGs of 2 links each really depends on the MCLAG ability of the FW as well, if you target active/active. For active/standby, some FW vendors have also a capability for pre-negotiating LLDP and LACP on standby. In such a case, it might be recommended to have one VSX LAG per FW. Otherwise, having 1 single MCLAG with 4 links is fine: 2 links will appear with LACP-block, as the standby FW will not send LACPDU and will not negotiate. 
    - I recommend to turn-off ip icmp redirect on VSX priary and secondary (no ip icmp redirect)
    - what AOS-CX version  ?

Vincent Giles

• 4.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 05, 2021 06:30 AM
    Hi Vincent, as usual what you wrote must be read very carefully since it's always quite important and clarifier, so let me just to ask you a clarification since I have a doubt (my case is going to be Active/Standby scenario and I planned the two VSX LAGs approach before reading about the capabilities you cited above).

When you wrote:

"For active/standby, some FW vendors have also a capability for pre-negotiating LLDP and LACP on standby. In such a case, it might be recommended to have one VSX LAG per FW."

I understand that the capabilities for pre-negotiating LLDP and LACP on the Standby you're referring to (in a Active/Standby Firewall scenario, I add) are not necessarily mandatory requirements permitting us to work with just one VSX LAG made of physical links coming from both Firewall nodes (those nodes should indeed support these capabilities and they also should act as a single logical virtualized device as per LAG forming requirements) so in their absence one can still try the single VSX LAG approach targeting both Firewall nodes.

It's to understand that in presence of an Active/Standby Firewall scenario - pre-negotiating LLDP and LACP capabilities or not, in any case - that scenario will force us to work with separate VSX LAGs in any case (and each VSX LAG will receive physical links coming from a Firewall node, not from both nodes) in contrast with the alternative Active/Active Firewall scenario where instead a single VSX LAG could be used or not (and, if it used, that VSX LAG will receive physical links coming from both Firewall nodes in a concurrent fashion).

"Otherwise, having 1 single MCLAG with 4 links is fine: 2 links will appear with LACP-block, as the standby FW will not send LACPDU and will not negotiate."

Given this last sentence it seems that - in case of no capability for pre-negotiating LLDP and LACP on the Standby Firewall node - we can still try the single VSX LAG approach (as per Active/Active Firewall scenario) BUT we should expect that half of the physical member links of the VSX LAG will appear in LACP-Block state (the Standby Firewall node will indeed not send LACPDU).

Am I correct or wrong? that's very interesting!

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 11:38 AM
    Robert - I went with the multiple MC-LAG's primarily to keep things as close as possible to the current config, for the most part meaning keep it "simple" and our firewall rules are based on ports, not VLANs.  I have a very limited maintenance window this weekend to get everything installed, and I didn't want to worry about having to re-configuring everything else to fit a new topology.  Because we are splitting everything into separate MC-LAGs, the firewall has no idea about any of the VLANs, all our rules are port based/physically separate.

I am finding that may be a poor way to go for the long run, we seem to be at the point where we have crossed over and trying to keep everything physically separated (port based rules) is actually becoming more complex than using less, but larger MC-LAGs with VLANs. Unfortunately, converting to that methodology would have to be a separate project, I do not have that large of a window this weekend.

Vincent – Our firewalls do support ECMP for Static Routing, OSPF, & BGP, but I fear that is getting a bit outside my comfort zone, once you get away from basic static routing, I have almost zero experience.  I have looked at page 104 of the VSX best practice, in fact that's what drove me to where I am today with the configs.

I am extremely intrigued by your statement:
    "having 1 single MCLAG with 4 links is fine: 2 links will appear with LACP-block, as the standby FW will not send LACPDU and will not negotiate"

That was my original config, and traffic was traversing the links as expected, including when I failed over the firewalls, and I thought I was good to go at that point.  But, Aruba TAC stated that would not work as expected and might not failover as expected at times, my guess is due to the LACP-Block State those ports would be in.  So the question becomes, what are the pros & cons of each?  Obviously 4 cables in a single MC-LAG together greatly simplifies the config, but 2 separate "2 cable" MC-LAGs appears to be the more supported config.

I'm curious, why the "no ip icmp redirect"?  I've had it both ways and I can't quit determine the differences.  I know I need to wrap my head around the active forwarding & active gateways better, and is it even necessary for what I'm trying to do?

I will post the configs as they are today in a few minutes.  I'm sure there's plenty wrong with them, so my apologies in advance if they are way off base.

Thank you all for your help so far, you have all been most gracious with your time and it is greatly appreciated!!!

Clint

• 6.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 11:54 AM
    I forgot to answer one of the questions asked, the version is ArubaOS-CX TL.10.08.0001

Here are the configs as of today and most things so far are acting as expected. There are a few routing issues, I need to look at loop protection and other house cleaning items, but I feel much better today about this than I did yesterday, that's for sure!

Side Note - I'm guessing I don't need all the MC-LAGs in both the Primary & Secondary configs, only the ones specific to each switch, it was more of a cut paste thing than anything else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8320 - Primary
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !
    !Version ArubaOS-CX TL.10.08.0001
    !export-password: default
    hostname Swt-8320-01
    profile L3-core
    vrf KeepAlive
    vrf VRF100
    vrf VRF101
    vrf VRF202
    vrf VRF212
    vrf VRF217
    vrf VRF250
    ntp server pool.ntp.org minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 iburst
    ntp enable
    ntp vrf mgmt
    cli-session
        timeout 0
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    aruba-central
        disable
    ssh server vrf default
    ssh server vrf mgmt
    vlan 1
    vlan 100
        name Mgmt VLAN
        vsx-sync
        description Mgmt VLAN - VLAN 100
    vlan 101
        name Private VLAN
        vsx-sync
        description Private VLAN - VLAN 101
    vlan 202
        name DMZ VLAN
        vsx-sync
        description DMZ VLAN - VLAN 202
    vlan 212
        name DMZ-LB VLAN
        vsx-sync
        description DMZ-LB VLAN - VLAN 212
    vlan 217
        name Corp217 VLAN
        vsx-sync
        description Corp 217 VLAN - VLAN 217
    vlan 250
        name Public VLAN
        vsx-sync
        description Public VLAN - VLAN 250
    interface mgmt
        no shutdown
        ip static 10.10.0.2/24
        default-gateway 10.10.0.254
        nameserver 10.1.1.20 10.1.1.21
    interface lag 99 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Mgmt/MLAG 99 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 100 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Mgmt/MLAG 100 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 101 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 101 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 102 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 102 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 143 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 143 - Swt-8320-02 <-> 3810M
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 144 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 144 - Swt-8320-01 <-> 3810M
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 202 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description DMZ/MLAG 202 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 203 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description DMZ/MLAG 203 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 212 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description DMZ-LB/MLAG 212 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 213 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description DMZ-LB/MLAG 213 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 217 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 217 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 218 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 217 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 250 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Public/MLAG 250 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 251 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Public/MLAG 251 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 256
        no shutdown
        description VSX-ISL-LAG/MLAG 256 - Swt-8320-01 <-> Swt-8320-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface 1/1/26
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 100 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 100
    interface 1/1/35
        no shutdown
        lag 250
    interface 1/1/36
        no shutdown
        description Public/MLAG 250 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-02
        lag 250
    interface 1/1/37
        no shutdown
        lag 202
    interface 1/1/38
        no shutdown
        description DMZ/MLAG 202 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-02
        lag 202
    interface 1/1/39
        no shutdown
        lag 212
    interface 1/1/40
        no shutdown
        description DMZ-LB/MLAG 212 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-02
        lag 212
    interface 1/1/41
        no shutdown
        lag 217
    interface 1/1/42
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 217 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-02
        lag 217
    interface 1/1/43
        no shutdown
        lag 100
    interface 1/1/44
        no shutdown
        description Mgmt/MLAG 100 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-02
        lag 100
    interface 1/1/45
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 143 - Swt-8320-01 <-> 3810M
        lag 143
    interface 1/1/46
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 143 - Swt-8320-01 <-> 3810M
        lag 143
    interface 1/1/48
        no shutdown
        vrf attach KeepAlive
        description VSX-ISL-KeepAlive-Link
        ip address 192.168.168.1/24
    interface 1/1/51
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface 1/1/52
        no shutdown
        lag 101
    interface 1/1/53
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 101 - Swt-8320-01 <-> FW-02
        lag 101
    interface 1/1/54
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface vlan 100
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF100
        ip address 10.10.0.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:01
        active-gateway ip 10.10.0.254
    interface vlan 101
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF101
        ip address 10.10.1.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:02
        active-gateway ip 10.10.1.254
    interface vlan 202
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF202
        ip address 10.20.20.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:03
        active-gateway ip 10.20.20.254
    interface vlan 212
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF212
        ip address 10.21.21.254/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:04
        active-gateway ip 10.21.21.1
    interface vlan 217
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF217
        ip address 10.10.217.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:05
        active-gateway ip 10.10.217.254
    interface vlan 250
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF250
        ip address 10.20.20.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:06
    vsx
        system-mac 02:01:00:00:01:00
        inter-switch-link lag 256
        role primary
        keepalive peer 192.168.168.2 source 192.168.168.1 vrf KeepAlive
        linkup-delay-timer 30
        vsx-sync copp-policy dhcp-relay dns icmp-tcp loop-protect-global mclag-interfaces qos-global snmp ssh static-routes stp-global time vsx-global
    ip dns server-address 10.1.1.20
    ip dns server-address 10.1.1.21
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip source-interface all 10.10.1.2
    https-server session-timeout 480
    https-server vrf default
    https-server vrf mgmt
    ​

8320 - Secondary
    !
    !Version ArubaOS-CX TL.10.08.0001
    hostname Swt-8320-02
    profile L3-core
    vrf KeepAlive
    vrf VRF100
    vrf VRF101
    vrf VRF202
    vrf VRF212
    vrf VRF217
    vrf VRF250
    ntp enable
    ntp vrf mgmt
    cli-session
        timeout 0
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    aruba-central
        disable
    ssh server vrf default
    ssh server vrf mgmt
    vlan 1
    vlan 100
        name Mgmt VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 101
        name Private VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 202
        name DMZ VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 212
        name DMZ-LB VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 217
        name Corp217 VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 250
        name Public VLAN
        vsx-sync
    interface mgmt
        no shutdown
        ip static 10.10.0.3/24
        default-gateway 10.10.0.254
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 102 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 143 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 143 - Swt-8320-02 <-> 3810M
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 144 - Swt-8320-01 <-> 3810M
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 217 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 256
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface 1/1/26
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 100
    interface 1/1/35
        no shutdown
        description Public/MLAG 251 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-01
        lag 251
    interface 1/1/36
        no shutdown
        lag 251
    interface 1/1/37
        no shutdown
        description DMZ/MLAG 203 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-01
        lag 203
    interface 1/1/38
        no shutdown
        lag 203
    interface 1/1/39
        no shutdown
        description DMZ-LB/MLAG 213 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-01
        lag 213
    interface 1/1/40
        no shutdown
        lag 213
    interface 1/1/41
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 218 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-01
        lag 218
    interface 1/1/42
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 218 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        lag 218
    interface 1/1/43
        no shutdown
        description Mgmt/MLAG 99 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-01
        lag 99
    interface 1/1/44
        no shutdown
        lag 99
    interface 1/1/45
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 144 - Swt-8320-02 <-> 3810M
        lag 144
    interface 1/1/46
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 144 - Swt-8320-02 <-> 3810M
        lag 144
    interface 1/1/48
        no shutdown
        vrf attach KeepAlive
        ip address 192.168.168.2/24
    interface 1/1/51
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface 1/1/52
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 101 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-01
        lag 102
    interface 1/1/53
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 101 - Swt-8320-02 <-> FW-02
        lag 102
    interface 1/1/54
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface vlan 100
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF100
        ip address 10.10.0.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:01
        active-gateway ip 10.10.0.254
    interface vlan 101
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF101
        ip address 10.10.1.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:02
        active-gateway ip 10.10.1.254
    interface vlan 202
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF202
        ip address 10.20.20.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:03
    interface vlan 212
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF212
        ip address 10.21.21.254/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:04
        active-gateway ip 10.21.21.1
    interface vlan 217
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF217
        ip address 10.10.217.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:05
        active-gateway ip 10.10.217.254
    interface vlan 250
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        vrf attach VRF250
        ip address 10.20.20.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 02:01:00:00:01:06
    vsx
        role secondary
        keepalive peer 192.168.168.1 source 192.168.168.2 vrf KeepAlive
        linkup-delay-timer 30
        vsx-sync copp-policy dhcp-relay dns icmp-tcp loop-protect-global mclag-interfaces qos-global snmp ssh static-routes stp-global time vsx-global
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip source-interface all 10.10.1.3
    https-server vrf default
    https-server vrf mgmt
    ​

Again, thank you all for your time & help!

Clint

• 7.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 01:29 PM

I am confused...

Why do you have configured 2 MC-LAG Interfaces per function?

The MC-LAG Interface should be the same on both side.

csw-rz-r08# sh run int lag 36
    interface lag 36 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Core-2
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        exit

csw-rz-r08# sh run int 1/1/36
    interface 1/1/36
        no shutdown
        description Core-2_P_A2
        lag 36
        exit

csw-rz-r08# sh lag 36
    System-ID       : b8:d4:e7:de:1c:00
    System-priority : 65534

Aggregate lag36 is up
     Admin state is up
     Description : Core-2
     Type                        : multi-chassis
     Lacp Fallback               : Disabled
     MAC Address                 : 0a:00:0c:01:01:00
     Aggregated-interfaces       : 1/1/36
     Aggregation-key             : 36
     Aggregate mode              : active
     Hash                        : l3-src-dst
     LACP rate                   : slow
     Speed                       : 10000 Mb/s
     Mode                        : trunk

csw-rz-r08# sh lag 36 vsx-peer
    System-ID       : 64:e8:81:19:32:00

Aggregate lag36 is up
     Admin state is up
    csw-rz-r08#

csw-rz-r09# sh run int lag 36
    interface lag 36 multi-chassis
        no shutdown
        description Core-2
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        exit

csw-rz-r09# sh run int 1/1/36
    interface 1/1/36
        no shutdown
        description Core-2_P_A6
        lag 36
        exit

csw-rz-r09# sh lag 36
    System-ID       : 64:e8:81:19:32:00

Aggregate lag36 is up
     Admin state is up

csw-rz-r09# sh lag 36 vs
    System-ID       : b8:d4:e7:de:1c:00

Aggregate lag36 is up
     Admin state is up
    csw-rz-r09#

In your case there must be one mclag interface (the same) on both VSX-Pair Switches for connecting to fw1 and another mclag interface (the same) for connecting to fw2.  Or If the interfaces on the passive firewall are shutted down, then you could use one (the same) mclag interface from both switches to both firewalls. Solution 2 could be faster, but Solution 1 is safer (would be bad if traffic goes over physical link to passive firewall).

I guess without upstream routing active-gateway configuration is not necessary, but it should not be the problem.

Or did I have misunderstood the topology?

And one more thing: I guess the IP-Adress on the vlan interface (SVI) must be different, the active-gateway IP-adress is the same. Like VRRP and HSRP... The Best Practice Guide shows different IPs, too.

Think about that it is VSX and not VSF, so for Management and Routing the switches are independent. Not like VSF, where it is a logical Stack...

The Clients do have the firewall VIP IP as the default-gateway? I do not see any routing config.

Ping from switch SVI to client in another VLAN should go through firewall because you have configured VRF.
    ping <IP-Client-VLAN-101> vrf VRF100 source vlan100
    or through firewall from switch to switch:
    ping 10.10.1.1 vrf VRF100 source vlan100

Be patient of the firewall security rules, and if the the used interfaces allow ICMP (directed to the firewall litself).

Robert Großmann

• 8.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 02:40 PM
    Trust me, I am thoroughly confused as well at this point! But...

I think if I am understanding you correctly, I had it setup that way originally. For instance MC-LAG 101 was the same on both switches and cables from both switches went to both firewalls. The reason I changed it is because that was my interpretation of what Aruba TAC meant by separate MC-LAGs for each one, going to each switch.

Here is a diagram of what I "thought" A-TAC was suggesting:

Am I to assume this is what you're suggesting?

I don't think you've misunderstood the topology, I think I've torn down and rebuilt so many variations over the last week or so, I've become my own worst enemy, constantly second guessing myself. And you hit a big part of my issues right on the head. I can't get my head out of VSF land (or IRF land for that matter).

Routing – The clients on the Private LAN have the current switches as their default gateway, that is an issue I still need to address, along with the active gateway.

I will start sounding like a broken record, but I have to say thank you Robert so very much for all your time & help!!!

Clint

• 9.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 03:20 PM

no, no...

The first diagram is right. The second one only, if the passive interface shuts down its data interfaces.

I'm sorry. I only have looked at the first mclag interfaces, and thats what im wondering about: 

provided config says:
    sw-01 1/1/43 --> fw-01 == mclag 100
    sw-01 1/1/44 --> fw-02 == mclag 100
    sw-01 1/1/52 --> fw-01 == mclag 101
    sw-01 1/1/53 --> fw-02 == mclag 101
    and
    sw-02 1/1/43 --> fw-01 == mclag 99
    sw-02 1/1/44 --> fw-02 == mclag 99
    sw-02 1/1/52 --> fw-01 == mclag 102
    sw-02 1/1/53 --> fw-02 == mclag 102

Thats not right.

even your config does correspondend with diagram 1 regarding to mclag 250/251:

sw-01 1/1/35 --> fw-01 == mclag 250
    sw-01 1/1/36 --> fw-02 == mclag 250
    and
    sw-02 1/1/35 --> fw-01 == mclag 251
    sw-02 1/1/36 --> fw-02 == mclag 251

It ever should be like:

sw-01 1/1/35 --> fw-01 == mclag 250
    sw-01 1/1/36 --> fw-02 == mclag 251
    and
    sw-02 1/1/35 --> fw-01 == mclag 250
    sw-02 1/1/36 --> fw-02 == mclag 251

same lag interface with same lag-key for multi-chassis lag on both switches!

Robert Großmann

• 10.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 03:48 PM
    So the target (the firewall) device denotes the same lag-key and I've been using the source (switch), right?

Let me make those changes and I'll repost.  Thank you!!!!

Clint

• 11.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 05, 2021 04:13 PM
    The requirement - that has nothing to do with the Multi Chassis LAGs di-per-sè, it's related simply on how LAGs should correctly form and connect to their peers - is that all LAG's member interfaces (MC-LAG or simple LAG, it doesn't really matter) shall terminate against a single logical entity: a Firewall Cluster's Node in your scenario -> that's because your Active/Standby Firewalls act - from the PoV of the VSX Cluster - as two completely separated logical entities (the Firewall Node 1 - Active node - and the Firewall Node 2 - Standby node) so the VSX LAG id 250 (lag 250) originating from - say - interface VSX-1 1/1/35 and interface VSX-2 1/1/35 must terminate against Firewall Node 1 (or Firewall Node 2 if you like, it's the same - conceptually).

Firewall Node 1 will see incoming links from VSX-1 1/1/35 and VSX-2 1/1/35 and shall manage them as participating into one of its properly configured LAG (with LACP since on VSX side you correctly used lacp active mode).

In other words you can't distribute (well...you can if you're connecting two VSX Clusters back-to-back) VSX LAG's physical links into both Firewall nodes concurrently, as was noted above by Robert.

Davide Poletto

• 12.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 04:17 PM

no, its not the firewall, the firewall does not know about mclag or lag on switchside...

the switches need to have the same mc-lag configuration to work properly.

Perhaps a native english speaker could explain it better.

here the VSX Best practice guide (cx 10.6): Document Display | HPE Support Center

Edit:

Davide was faster ;-) 

Robert Großmann

• 13.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 04:29 PM
    The light bulbs are slowly getting brighter, and it's all thanks to you guys!!! I'm just trying to do too much, too quickly, all at once.

This is the first of many projects back to back to back that I have been working on for a couple months. We have a this upgrade this weekend, followed up next weekend by a 3PAR & Servers move, followed by a 3PAR & Servers upgrade, all while trying to move another, much smaller DC footprint. Oh, I forgot to mention, we are building out a new HQ, so all the demo and rebuilding that's associated with a new office build out is in progress, and my responsibility. And, we have to be out of the old HQ by November 1st. Fun Fun all around!!!

Thank you both so much!!!

Clint

• 14.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 05, 2021 05:35 PM
    Clint, Robert...I was observing this thread with a lot of curiosity since beginning (and indeed, at some point, I asked Vincent to clarify a real doubt I had once I've read his notes about stretching a VSX LAG against both Firewall nodes hoping his answer could shed some light also on how Clint saw his Firewall cluster from the PoV of his VSX...but things were rolling too fast!): this thread contains good questions and it shows how some of the VSX basic concepts - over all the VSX LAG side by side with equirements/restrictions/method of operation and deployment - that can't be always immediately "given for granted" and this assumption is especially true if a Network Administrator - newbie or not he/she is - is carrying a different background (example: VSF/IRF know-how).

Davide Poletto

• 15.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 05, 2021 06:20 PM
    I am currently going through everything regarding the MC-LAGs, from scratch, port by port, and re-cabling/rebuilding the config from the ground up. I am going to remove all the vrf and active gateway portion of the config and go for basic, fundamental connectivity and failover. Once that is nailed down, I will move on to adding the features/functions we need, but only after I get a solid physical & MC-LAG configuration.

I am almost there, but I lost the trunk down to the 3810M's during the re-config, so I need to look into that as well.

As always, thank you both, Robert & Davide, your help has been invaluable!!!

Clint

• 16.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 06, 2021 01:52 AM

Hi Clint,

As you have a Stack of 3810M you can or should only use one MCLAG Interface for connecting Aruba-CX VSX Pair and Aruba-OS Stack Pair like:

CX SW-01 Port 1/1/45 --> OS SW (Stack Member 1) Port X == MCLAG 144
    CX SW-01 Port 1/1/46 --> OS SW (Stack Member 2) Port X == MCLAG 144
    CX SW-02 Port 1/1/45 --> OS SW (Stack Member 1) Port Y == MCLAG 144
    CX SW-02 Port 1/1/46 --> OS SW (Stack Member 2) Port Y == MCLAG 144

This crossed connection is redundant and loop-free. Be aware of what Davide said, LAG connections only between Logical Units.

Robert Großmann

• 17.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 05:29 AM
    Exactly Robert, IMHO the downlinks to Aruba 3810M should be just one VSX LAG (clearly LACP), say something like:

VSX-1 (Primary) and VSX-2 (Secondary) <- remember to remove the "vsx-sync vlans" command on Secondary: vlans configuration on the lag interface will be automatically synchronized from Primary to Secondary so it should not be necessary to worry about. lag "y" and vlan "x" are just placeholders, use your real id values as necessary.

interface lag y multi-chassis
    vsx-sync vlans
    no shutdown
    description "VSX-lag-y-to-Aruba-3810M"
    no routing
    vlan trunk native x
    vlan trunk allowed x
    lacp mode active
    loop-protect
    loop-protect vlan x
    exit
    and LAG member interfaces (let me suppose your lag y is made of physical interface 1/1/z on VSX-1 Primary and physical interface 1/1/z on VSX-2 Secondary), configured on both VSX Primary and VSX Secondary this way:

interface 1/1/z
    no shutdown
    mtu 9198 <--------- consider to set the same MTU value also at VLAN interface level with the command "ip mtu 9198"
    flow-control rx
    description "VSX-lag-y-port-1-1-z-to-Aruba-3810M"
    lag y
    exit
    In any case the VSX Configuration Best Practices for Aruba CX 6400, 8320, 8325, 8360, 8400 (December 2020), IIRC, reports some examples about how to configure a VSX LAG to downstream access switches.

Another bible, since you're dealing with latest ArubaOS-CX 10.8, is the actual AOS-CX 10.8 Virtual Switching eXtension (VSX) Guide for Aruba CX 6400, 8320, 8325, 8360, 8400 (August 2021).

Davide Poletto

• 18.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 04:26 AM
    Hi Davide,
    Let me know if there is still something to clarify as there are too many high-frequency messages in this thread for me to follow-up :-)

Vincent Giles

• 19.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 04:33 AM
    Hi Vincent! well what was asked on 4th reply about the pre-negotiating LLDP and LACP capabilities on the Standby member of the Firewall Cluster. That would be a nice clarification to understand the better way to connect a VSX to a Firewall Cluster depending on its deployed architecture (Active/Active versus Active/Standby) and its capabilities.

Davide Poletto

• 20.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 04:48 AM
    ok. For that one, this is very dependent on the FW behavior
    I didn't check all FW vendors, and the one that I look at for this pre-negotiation was PaloAlto:
    https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/8-1/pan-os-admin/high-availability/ha-concepts/lacp-and-lldp-pre-negotiation-for-activepassive-ha.html
    Best would be to test (I don't have one handy) or to dive into the documentation to understand was is the bridge-ID use for this pre-negotiation.

1) If the bridge-ID is the same than on the active FW, a deeper look is required to understand how PaloAlto sends LACP out-of-sync so that LACP neighbor (here our Aruba CX switch) does not send traffic on the links connecting the standby FW (this would lead to drops).
    2) if bridge-ID is different than on the active FW, then the same check is required in order to guarantee that the LACP neighbor (CX switch) will select the right links for the active bridge-ID. Again this is very much dependent on the FW side.

Bottom-line, not knowing those level of details, it is recommended to have a conservative approach and have separate VSX LAG for active FW and for standby FW when LACP pre-negotiation is enabled on FW.

Does it clarify ?

Vincent Giles

• 21.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 05:39 AM
    Super! so know we know what to ask/check/verify in order to correctly configure the VSX against such Firewall's deployments.

My take is: it would be fantastic to see Aruba providing some "VSX-to-Firewall-Clusters" validated scenarios (say against major players like Cisco, PaloAlto, Fortinet, Forcepoint, etc.) or, at least, create a KB Article or a tiny guide where to place what pre-checks should be done against a particular "bulk" Firewall Cluster (treating scenarios instead of vendors) to select the most appropriate VSX configuration and what performance drawbacks/plus one should expect...sort of pro versus cons (as you said...conservatively...the mainstream approach where one VSX LAG against a physical Firewall node of a Firewall Cluster...seems to be the recommended way to go).

Davide Poletto

• 22.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2021 06:04 AM
    Ack, and agree this would be fantastic :-)
    Not sure that we would be able to maintain such guide with all current and future releases of FW vendors: PA, Fortinet, Checkpoint to name a few...
    So current guidance: if any LACP pre-negotiation is enabled is 2 VSX LAGs. I can add this comment/guidance in the VSX best practices of future revision of documentation user-guide to, at least, capture the point and provide clarity.

Vincent Giles

• 23.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 07, 2021 03:34 PM
    First, I want to thank everyone for all their time and help, I wouldn't have been able to get all this done without you guys!!!

Second, I have pulled pretty much all the complexity out of the configs, I believe removing the need for any routing or anything special, just basic MC-LAGs and VLANs, allowing the firewall to do any routing necessary between any of the network segments.

With all that said, I am posting what I believe to be the final configs (minus any suggestions anyone has) for the switches. Please take a look if/when you have time. I'm especially interested in making sure I have spanning tree / loop back protection configured properly.

Primary 8320
    !
    !Version ArubaOS-CX TL.10.08.1010
    hostname Swt-8320-01
    profile L3-core
    vrf KeepAlive
    ntp enable
    ntp vrf mgmt
    cli-session
        timeout 0
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    aruba-central
        disable
    ssh server vrf default
    ssh server vrf mgmt
    vlan 1
    vlan 100
        name Mgmt VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 101
        name Private VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 202
        name DMZ VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 212
        name DMZ-LB VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 217
        name Corp217 VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 250
        name Public VLAN
        vsx-sync
    spanning-tree
    spanning-tree config-name 38:10:f0:1b:70:a0
    interface mgmt
        no shutdown
        ip static 10.10.0.3/24
        default-gateway 10.10.0.1
        no shutdown
        description Mgmt/MLAG 99 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Mgmt/MLAG 100 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 101 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Private/MLAG 102 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Switch Trunk/MLAG 144 - Swt-8320 <-> 3810M
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        loop-protect
        loop-protect vlan 1,100-101,202,212,217,250
        no shutdown
        description DMZ/MLAG 202 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description DMZ/MLAG 203 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description DMZ-LB/MLAG 212 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description DMZ-LB/MLAG 213 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 217 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Corp217/MLAG 218 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Public/MLAG 250 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-01
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        description Public/MLAG 251 - Swt-8320 <-> FW-02
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 256
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface 1/1/2
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 250 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 250
    interface 1/1/5
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 202 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 202
    interface 1/1/6
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 202
    interface 1/1/13
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 212 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 212
    interface 1/1/14
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 212
    interface 1/1/21
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 217 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 217
    interface 1/1/22
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 217
    interface 1/1/25
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 101 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 101
    interface 1/1/26
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 101
    interface 1/1/31
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 100
    interface 1/1/32
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 100
    interface 1/1/35
        no shutdown
        lag 250
    interface 1/1/36
        no shutdown
        lag 251
    interface 1/1/37
        no shutdown
        lag 202
    interface 1/1/38
        no shutdown
        lag 203
    interface 1/1/39
        no shutdown
        lag 212
    interface 1/1/40
        no shutdown
        lag 213
    interface 1/1/41
        no shutdown
        lag 217
    interface 1/1/42
        no shutdown
        lag 218
    interface 1/1/43
        no shutdown
        lag 100
    interface 1/1/44
        no shutdown
        lag 99
    interface 1/1/45
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        flow-control rx
        lag 144
    interface 1/1/46
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        flow-control rx
        lag 144
    interface 1/1/48
        no shutdown
        vrf attach KeepAlive
        ip address 192.168.168.1/24
    interface 1/1/51
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface 1/1/52
        no shutdown
        lag 101
    interface 1/1/53
        no shutdown
        lag 102
    interface 1/1/54
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface vlan 100
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 101
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        ip address 10.10.1.3/24
    interface vlan 202
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 212
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 217
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 250
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    snmp-server community IntraVex
    vsx
        role primary
        keepalive peer 192.168.168.2 source 192.168.168.1 vrf KeepAlive
        linkup-delay-timer 30
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip source-interface all 10.10.1.3
    https-server vrf default
    https-server vrf mgmt​

Secondary 8320
    !
    !Version ArubaOS-CX TL.10.08.1010
    hostname Swt-8320-02
    profile L3-core
    vrf KeepAlive
    ntp enable
    ntp vrf mgmt
    cli-session
        timeout 0
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    aruba-central
        disable
    ssh server vrf default
    ssh server vrf mgmt
    vlan 1
    vlan 100
        name Mgmt VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 101
        name Private VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 202
        name DMZ VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 212
        name DMZ-LB VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 217
        name Corp217 VLAN
        vsx-sync
    vlan 250
        name Public VLAN
        vsx-sync
    spanning-tree
    spanning-tree config-name 38:10:f0:1b:70:a0
    interface mgmt
        no shutdown
        ip static 10.10.0.4/24
        default-gateway 10.10.0.1
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 100
        vlan trunk allowed 100
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 101
        vlan trunk allowed 101
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        loop-protect
        loop-protect vlan 1,100-101,202,212,217,250
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 202
        vlan trunk allowed 202
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 212
        vlan trunk allowed 212
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 217
        vlan trunk allowed 217
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 250
        vlan trunk allowed 250
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface lag 256
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
    interface 1/1/2
        no shutdown
        description *** VLAN 250 Test Port ***
        no routing
        vlan access 250
    interface 1/1/5
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 202
    interface 1/1/6
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 202
    interface 1/1/13
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 212
    interface 1/1/14
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 212
    interface 1/1/21
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 217
    interface 1/1/22
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 217
    interface 1/1/25
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 101
    interface 1/1/26
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 101
    interface 1/1/31
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 100
    interface 1/1/32
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan access 100
    interface 1/1/35
        no shutdown
        lag 250
    interface 1/1/36
        no shutdown
        lag 251
    interface 1/1/37
        no shutdown
        lag 202
    interface 1/1/38
        no shutdown
        lag 203
    interface 1/1/39
        no shutdown
        lag 212
    interface 1/1/40
        no shutdown
        lag 213
    interface 1/1/41
        no shutdown
        lag 217
    interface 1/1/42
        no shutdown
        lag 218
    interface 1/1/43
        no shutdown
        lag 100
    interface 1/1/44
        no shutdown
        lag 99
    interface 1/1/45
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        flow-control rx
        lag 144
    interface 1/1/46
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        flow-control rx
        lag 144
    interface 1/1/48
        no shutdown
        vrf attach KeepAlive
        ip address 192.168.168.2/24
    interface 1/1/51
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface 1/1/52
        no shutdown
        lag 101
    interface 1/1/53
        no shutdown
        lag 102
    interface 1/1/54
        no shutdown
        lag 256
    interface vlan 100
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 101
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        ip address 10.10.1.4/24
    interface vlan 202
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 212
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 217
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    interface vlan 250
        vsx-sync active-gateways
    snmp-server community IntraVex
    vsx
        role secondary
        keepalive peer 192.168.168.1 source 192.168.168.2 vrf KeepAlive
        linkup-delay-timer 30
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    ip source-interface all 10.10.1.4
    https-server vrf default
    https-server vrf mgmt​

3810M Stack
    stacking
       member 1 type "JL074A" mac-address 8c85c1-ebe480
       member 1 priority 200
       member 1 flexible-module A type JL083A
       member 2 type "JL074A" mac-address 8c85c1-ea1e00
       member 2 priority 100
       member 2 flexible-module A type JL083A
       exit
    hostname "Swt-3810M-Stack"
    trunk 1/A3-1/A4,2/A3-2/A4 trk144 lacp
    timesync ntp
    ntp server 10.1.1.20 iburst
    ntp server 10.1.1.21 iburst
    ntp enable
    ip dns server-address priority 1 10.1.1.20
    ip dns server-address priority 2 10.1.1.21
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.1.1
    interface 1/A3
       name "8320 <-> 3810M Trunk - LAG 144"
       exit
    interface 1/A4
       exit
    interface 2/A3
       exit
    interface 2/A4
       exit
    snmp-server community "IntraVex" unrestricted
    oobm
       ip address 10.10.0.7 255.255.255.0
       member 1
          ip address 10.10.0.8 255.255.255.0
          exit
       member 2
          ip address 10.10.0.9 255.255.255.0
          exit
       exit
    vlan 1
       name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
       no untagged 1/1-1/2,1/5-1/8,1/13-1/16,1/21-1/22,1/25-1/26,1/29-1/44,2/1-2/2,2/5-2/8,2/13-2/16,2/21-2/22,2/25-2/26,2/29-2/44
       untagged 1/3-1/4,1/9-1/12,1/17-1/20,1/23-1/24,1/27-1/28,1/45-1/48,1/A1-1/A2,2/3-2/4,2/9-2/12,2/17-2/20,2/23-2/24,2/27-2/28,2/45-2/48,2/A1-2/A2,Trk144
       no ip address
       exit
    vlan 100
       name "Mgmt"
       untagged 1/29-1/44,2/29-2/44
       tagged Trk144
       no ip address
       exit
    vlan 101
       name "Private LAN"
       untagged 1/25-1/26,2/25-2/26
       tagged Trk144
       ip address 10.10.1.7 255.255.255.0
       exit
    vlan 202
       name "DMZ LAN"
       untagged 1/5-1/8,2/5-2/8
       tagged Trk144
       no ip address
       exit
    vlan 212
       name "DMZ-LB LAN"
       untagged 1/13-1/16,2/13-2/16
       tagged Trk144
       no ip address
       exit
    vlan 217
       name "Corp 217 VLAN"
       untagged 1/21-1/22,2/21-2/22
       tagged Trk144
       no ip address
       exit
    vlan 250
       name "Public WAN"
       untagged 1/1-1/2,2/1-2/2
       tagged Trk144
       no ip address
       exit
    spanning-tree
    spanning-tree Trk144 priority 4
    password manager​

Please let me know if you see anything I've overlooked.

Thank you all again so very much!!!

Clint

• 24.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 07, 2021 05:06 PM

Hi Clint,

For my opinion I would not use loop-protect on uplink/downlink Ports (to other switches), even Davide has it in its config example. But it is not bad at all.

There I would rely on the spanning tree mechanism and that you does not connect rogue devices to this ports.

For example LATER you can use the spanning tree root guard function on all downlink ports of your vsx-pair to prevent a unwanted switch to be the root in the network.

You can think about using the spanning tree loop-guard function on switch Uplink Ports, and bpdu-guard and tcn-guard on access ports (even to firewall). In regular cases we dont want to configure to much features on a core, but I would say your network is very flat and is like a collapsed core.

Take a look at the best practices design guide and search for "best practice on".
    Core is not listed, but aggregation and access are. And you're free to combine the subset of possibilities for your needs.

I'm not sure if the parameter for spanning-tree on your old and new switches are the same.
    Aruba-CX uses MSTP per Default, Aruba-OS on 3810M I dont know. On MSTP any config parameter must be the same (name, revision, instances). And your aruba-cx config-name is as an MAC?? If any parameter differs you do have an STP Boundary using CST between the "MSTP Topologies".

I would suggest to type on Aruba-CX:
    show spanning-tree
    show spanning-tree mst

and on Aruba-OS:
    show spanning-tree
    show spanning-tree instance ist

and to examine if old and new switches are in the same "MSTP topology". But perhaps you want them to be in different "topologies", then yiu are right with choosing another config name or revision or an other spanning-tree mode.

Good luck with the network migration!

Kind Regards

Robert

Robert Großmann

• 25.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

Posted Oct 07, 2021 05:12 PM
    Robert - That is exactly the advice I was looking/hoping for!!!  I will drop the loop protect and take a look at those command outputs.

Thank you!!!

Clint

• 26.  RE: 8320's Multiple MLAG's to Active/Passive Firewalls

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 08, 2021 10:17 AM
    Hi Clint, personally - If I were you - I'd not drop the Loop Protect approach (at least not generally): please read the Chapter 9 "Loop protect configurations over VSX" on the latest AOS-CX 10.08 Virtual Switching Extension (VSX) Guide document.

I've a question in my head: if your VSX is so "basic and plain" (no Layer 3 routing is performed to downstream peers through the Active Gateway featur...basically no nothing) why the complexity with so many separated VSX LAGs to upstream Firewalls' Cluster? where are the real benefits? physical separation of broadcast domains? IP Routing is happening on the Firewalls' Cluster...are you really OK with that (bottlenecks)? are you accepting this approach only because Firewalls are configured in a particular way and you don't want to change that?

Again, if I were you (and along with your deployment restrictions/requirements) I would totally rethink how the VSX Cluster <-> Firewall Cluster are currently physically interconnected.

Two VSX LAGs with just two physical ports to each Firewall node should be enough (each Firewall node <- 2x10Gbps -> each VSX node):

VSX node 1 LAG x (2 ports) <--> Firewall node 1 LAG k (2 ports)
    VSX node 2 LAG x (2 ports) <--> Firewall node 1 LAG k (2 ports)
    VSX node 1 LAG y (2 ports) <--> Firewall node 2 LAG h (2 ports)
    VSX node 2 LAG y (2 ports) <--> Firewall node 2 LAG h (2 ports)

Reconfigure the Firewall Cluster to adapt/bind its Access Policies to the (only two) new Firewall's node 1 LAG 1 and node 2 LAG 2 logical interfaces shouldn't be too difficult...consider how much you will simplify your design now and maintenance in the future.

In other words I don't understand the (unnecessary?) complexity built into/within the upstream layer of connectivity if then the VSX cluster acts as a very very basic Layer 2 device (no IP Routing, no ACLs, etc.) from the PoV of all the downstream peers it will be connected with.

Davide Poletto