Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2540 PoE Issue

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2540 PoE Issue

Posted Oct 12, 2021 11:53 AM

We have an Aruba switch that keeps shutting down all the PoE ports. In the logs, we get poe selftest failure for every PoE controller. Sometimes resetting them in the CLI will bring the PoE back online, other times a reboot will. In at least one instance, neither would and we had to RMA the switch. So here we are on the 3rd or so replacement switch and it's still occurring. Sometimes the issue takes weeks to occur, other times it happens daily.

suspected a power issue but we have had multiple electricians test the power and say it checks out fine. We have other 2540s in the same building not having this problem. The problematic switch has several Aruba IAPs connected to it. We made sure to ground both sides of the ethernet, but it hasn't solved the problem.

The only other thing I can imagine is that one of the other ethernet cables coming into the switch is damaged (or the device at the other end). How can we realistically isolate and test each device if we can sometimes go weeks without the problem recurring?

anybody got any tips? Particular logs I can look at to try to track this down to a problematic switchport? ever seen anything like this before?

------------------------------
    Electronic Office

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2540 PoE Issue

Posted Oct 14, 2021 04:08 AM
    You could test all the cables with the built-in TDR - see https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=25&MID=26492&CommunityKey=22dc38ea-a1e1-4059-b55e-a622fedecf32&tab=digestviewer

I haven't tried this on a 2540, but I believe it is supported.

Richard Litchfield
    Regional Product Manager, APJ – Aruba-branded Switching
    Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company
    Australia
    Airheads MVP 2020, 2021