Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3810M + JL081A

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3810M + JL081A

Posted Mar 18, 2021 03:35 PM
    Hello

i have stack 3810M (JL075+JL072) with installed JL085a (JL075 ports 1/A1-1/A4). Everything fine, but I'm not able to get the PoE active.
    I find  Aruba 2930M (JL319A) with HPE Smart Rate Module (JL081A)

But When i tried
    core(config)# Power-over-ethernet pre-std-detect ports 1/A1-1/A4
    PoE is not supported on ports 1/A1-1/A4
    If i ...
    core(config)# power-over-ethernet member 1
    None of the specified stack members support PoE.

What`s wrong? Help me please

------------------------------
    Georgiy Grishin

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3810M + JL081A

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2021 06:23 PM
    JL075A is 3810M 16SFP+ switch and JL072A is 3810M 48G switch, none of them are PoE switches.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3810M + JL081A

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 19, 2021 09:29 PM
    Hi Georgiy, the thread you found - Aruba 2930M (JL319A) with HPE Smart Rate Module (JL081A) - explains correctly why PoE is not supported in your scenario:

Matthew Fern indeed wrote really clearly on that thread:

"While the JL081A module does support PoE+, this functionality is only available when the module is installed in a switch (2930M or 3810M) that also supports PoE+. This is due to the fact that PoE+ requires the 54VDC voltage provided by a PoE+ capable power supply, which can only be installed in a PoE+ switch model.

Non-PoE+ switch models only accept a 12VDC power supply, which cannot supply sufficient voltage to power PoE/PoE+ devices. As such, PoE-related commands are not available in the CLI for these switch models.

Note that the HPE Smart Rate ports on the JL081A module will otherwise function normally at all supported line rates."

What exactly don't you understand?

The Switch that you're equipping with the JL081A module must be a PoE+ switch model in order for the JL081A module to be supplied with proper PoE voltage...if your switches aren't PoE+ models (AKA non-PoE+ models) then the JL081A module works but since it is not supplied with required voltage to provide PoE on its ports consequently it doesn't provide PoE+ on its ports.

Davide Poletto

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3810M + JL081A

Posted Mar 20, 2021 04:52 AM
    Thanks a lot

Georgiy