Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

This thread has been viewed 48 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Mar 29, 2021 11:03 AM
    Hello Everyone.

I am new to Aruba switches and would appreciate some clarification with the content of the below document.
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=cb2c3af1-9d88-4070-be11-51eda7ba993b

On page 7 of the document (Replacing a stack member), it stipulates that one of the reasons for replacing a stack member would be to "increase capacity", i.e replacing a 24 port stack member with a 48 port switch of the same model.

Question:
    1. when provisioning a switch prior to stacking, is the member-specific configuration (vlan.dat and other config files) distributed amongst other stack members? 
    2. If the answer to question 1 is Yes, when replacing a failed provisioned stack member, is there a need to backup the member-specific configuration and restore them to the replacement switch?
    3. In the case of a none provisioned stack member, are the configuration and vlan.dat files automatically copied to the replacement switch?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    obi jessie

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 30, 2021 11:25 AM
    Hello obi jessie,

1. I don't understood the question. Could you be so kind to rephrase it? configuration is managed by the Commander which distributes it to other members (there is one configuration ruled by the Commander...the Backplane Stacking helps to forma a Virtual Switch).
    2. See above. Follow the outlined procedure to replace a failed stack member (there is an assumption about the fact that the failed stack member was/was not the switch with the Commander role IIRC, if it is the Standby member should takeover).
    3. The Switch that joins the stack as the replacement of the failed one (if you followed the procedure, in a like-for-like exchange) will be configured with previous VLAN and port configurations. 

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Mar 30, 2021 08:23 PM
    Hello David Poletto,

Thank you for responding to my post.
    What I really want to know is this.
    Assuming there are 3 Aruba 3810M switches in a stack, with IDs 1,2 and 3.
    switch 1 is the commander and has switch specific configuration like say its the firewall switch
    before it was added to the stack.
    Question:
    1. Is the switch-specific configuration done in switch 1 also copied to switches 2 and 3?
    2. When switch 1 fails or is being replaced, will the supposedly switch-specific configuration be automatically copied to the replacement switch
    or that needs to be manually done after adding the replacement switch to the stack?

Thank you.

obi jessie

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 31, 2021 03:21 AM
    Hi

(1) Once the Stack is formed there are no switch-specific configurations, each one for specific Stack member: one configuration is ruled by the Commander and shared (synchronized) to other Stack members as a whole...example: if you change VLAN's membership of - say - interface 3/1 (Member 3 Port 1)...you can do it by simply connecting to Commander's IP address and committing the proper command...it's the (s)elected Commander that is ruling the change in the Stack running configuration.

(2) If Switch with Stack Id 1 is the Commander and it fails (or it entirely loses Stack connectivity to other Stack members) a Stack Split happens and what is going to happen to Stack depends on various scenarios (in your case if it fails a re-election is going to automatically happen in favour of Standby one which take over the Commander role). That's to say that Stack configuration, being synched, will be managed by new Commander, if any. Clearly this is a super simplification and scenarios, setups and initial conditions can change a lot.

You should carefully read the Aruba 3810M Management and Configuration Guide to undrrstand how a Stack behaves and reacts.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Mar 31, 2021 04:08 AM
    Thank you for commenting.

(1)Understood. All configurations are copied to all the stack members and also copied to the replacement switch upon replacing a stack member.

(2)The below statement confuses me a bit.
    "That's to say that Stack configuration, being synched, will be managed by new Commander, if any."
    Are there configurations that are do not synch?
    If yes, my guess is that such configurations that do not synch are manually re-entered in the replacement switch.

I am reading through the configuration and management guide and it also says that a 24 port stack member can be replaced with a 48 port switch of the same model to increase capacity.
    I am worried that the configuration for a 24 port switch may not function in a 48 port switch. Am I wrong?

Thank you.

obi jessie

• 6.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 31, 2021 04:23 AM
    Hi Obi,

With regard to (1) there aren't configurations, there is only one configuration.

With regard to (2), sorry for confusing you! my statement "That's to say that Stack configuration, being synched, will be managed by new Commander, if any." was intended to say that you can end up with two fragments (a Stack Split) where Fragment A has its Commander (say the previous-Split one) and Fragment B has its Standby believing to be the only one survived at the Split and so becoming the new Commander for its "survived" Fragment...at that point you have two Commanders (unaware of each others) which are potentially ruling the last synched running configuration (pre-Split) in alternate and different ways (each Commander rules its own running configuration and tables)...that's a real Split, that's a Split Brain scenario that should be avoided with the help of a proper supported MAD mechanism for you specific Stack.

My purpose was not to say that part of running configuration were not synched (it's not, all config is synched in a well formed Stack) but that there are scenarios where things can go weird and you have to manage to then understand what to save (consider good) and what not.

Davide Poletto

• 7.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Mar 31, 2021 08:37 PM
    Thank you very much for the clarification. 

It is a lot clearer to me now.

obi jessie

• 8.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Apr 01, 2021 12:03 AM
    Hello,

Are there documents that describe the licensing scheme for HPE Aruba switches?
    Please point me in the direction or share links with me.

Thank you.

obi jessie

• 9.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 01, 2021 02:01 AM
    Licensing of what?

All released features (considering the particular software branch XX.nn.mm that provide them - as example KB.16.10 to just say one of Aruba 3810M - and considering it's run on the Switch) are available without any simple/complex feature licensing scheme: all of them are all immediately available and there are not restrictions or extra costs to pay or to worry about.

• 10.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Apr 01, 2021 02:55 AM
    Hello, 

Just so I understand you correctly,
    You mean that I do not need any license to unlock certain software features on all switch series?

obi jessie

• 11.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 01, 2021 03:25 AM
    Hello Obi, that's correct. No need to unlock anything. All software features are indeed immediately available at no extra cost. There is no concept of "software feature licensing" as other vendors impose.

And - to add fireworks to your "Oh, gosh!" moment - consider this is ALSO true on newer ArubaOS-CX Software OS which is used on newer Aruba CX Switch Series.

To be honest, many years ago (was it 2010?) on some now EoS HP ProCurve Switch series (running on the HP ProVision OS, father of the actual ArubaOS-Switch OS) the HP introduced a "Premium Software License" or "Premium Edge License" to enable/unlock some specific features (IIRC the VRRP was among them)...but then they included and enabled all those features at no extra cost since some software release ceasing de-facto to utilize the concept of licensing (some) very specific software features.

Davide Poletto

• 12.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Apr 01, 2021 04:02 AM
    Good to know!

Thank you for responding.
    I was looking at the below documents and was wondering what it all meant.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_80_Web_Help/Content/LicenseGuide/License_Usage.htm
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/New_Licenses/License_Usage.htm

Good to know I don't have to worry about license.

obi jessie

• 13.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 01, 2021 04:40 AM
    You are confusing the ArubaOS operating systems (developed and used on Aruba Networking - now Aruba of HPE - Wireless controllers, Wireless APs and - now End of Sale - Mobility Access Switch switch series) with the ArubaOS-Switch or the ArubaOS-CX operating systems (running on now branded HPE Aruba Switch series).

Davide Poletto

• 14.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Apr 07, 2021 01:35 AM
    Hello Dave,

I am trying to backup the OS image file on my Aruba 3810M switch.
    I found this document which describes the procedure.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_73_Web_Help/Content/mas_guides/system_overview/Managing_Files_on_MAS.htm

In the CLI

copy tftp: <tftphost> <filename> system: partition [0|1]}

copy ftp: <ftphost> <user> <filename> system: partition {0|1}

copy scp: <scphost> <username> <filename> system: partition [0|1]

I ran a show flash command on my switch and got the following output.
    Aruba-Stack-3810M# sh flash
    Image             Size (bytes) Date     Version
    ----------------- ------------ -------- --------------
    Primary Image    :    34188925 11/02/19 KB.16.09.0006
    Secondary Image  :    34188925 11/02/19 KB.16.09.0006
    Boot ROM Version
    ----------------
    Primary Boot ROM Version   : KB.16.01.0009
    Secondary Boot ROM Version : KB.16.01.0009
    Default Boot Image   : Secondary
    Default Boot ROM     : Primary

Question:
    1. I don't understand the "system: partition" variable on the copy command syntax. What parameter should it be?
    2. Should I specify the image file name as shown in the output of show flash?

If this is not the right procedure, please direct me.

Thank you. 

obi jessie

• 15.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 07, 2021 02:06 AM
    Obi, you are again confusing the ArubaOS-Switch of your Aruba 3810M with the ArubaOS operating systems developed and used on Aruba Networking - now Aruba of HPE - Wireless controllers, Wireless APs and - now End of Sale - Mobility Access Switch switch series. They are different. Their CLIs are different.

The instructions you followed were written for ArubaOS, they weren't written for ArubaOS-Switch (also known with the AOS-S term). Please look for the latest Aruba 3810/5400R Management and Configuration Guide (ArubaOS-Switch based) on ASP portal to learn what CLI commands are available.

Davide Poletto

• 16.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

Posted Apr 07, 2021 04:34 AM
    Hello Dave,

Thank you for taking the time out.
    It is of paramount importance that I learn their differences and similarities as well as how to tell apart their different documents.
    Please point me in the direction of any document that describes their differences.

Thank you.

obi jessie

• 17.  RE: Aruba 3810M provisioned stack switch replacement.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 07, 2021 05:26 AM
    Start your journey by looking for guides published on the ASP - Aruba Support Portal - asp.arubanetworks.com -> Software & Documents -> apply filter(s) as needed.

Davide Poletto