Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Empty ARP table on 2930F

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Empty ARP table on 2930F

Posted Jul 18, 2021 09:20 AM
    Hi all
    we have VSF stack of 2 2930F and looking for a possible network issue we're experiencing I noticed that the "sh arp" command return just  2 entries and not all, for example, of those computers directly attached to the stack

Am I missing something ?
    If I do a sh mac-address I can see the mac for all the servers connected to it
    thanks

------------------------------
    stefano colombo

• 2.  RE: Empty ARP table on 2930F

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 19, 2021 03:28 AM
    Hi Stefano,

Is the VSF performing the IP routing? I believe it's not, I bet the show arp command shows just the SVI IP Address (presuming the VSF has only one IP Address on a particular VLAN ID) and the IP Address of the Default Gateway.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Empty ARP table on 2930F

Posted Jul 19, 2021 03:47 AM
    Hello Davide
    You're right, the VSF stack is not making routing, which is performed by a 5412, and the two arp record I see are the vsf itself and the gateway.
    But I thought I, in any case, should see the arp for all the devices connected directly to the 2930F stack
    Shouldn't I ?

thanks

stefano colombo

• 4.  RE: Empty ARP table on 2930F
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2021 07:36 AM
    The switch will only have an ARP entry for devices that it has communicated to, which requires an L3 interface in the VLAN. For pure L2, or if the clients do not communicate (L3) to your switch but to another switch (5412 as default gateway), you will just see ARP entries there.

If you want to see which MAC address are behind what port (the L2 switching table), use the 'show mac-address' command on ArubaOS Switch.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Empty ARP table on 2930F

Posted Jul 19, 2021 08:19 AM
    Hello Herman
    right that's clear explanation
    thanks

stefano colombo