Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Physical maintenance access switches

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Physical maintenance access switches

Posted Jun 09, 2021 07:38 PM
    Hi 

I would like to know if there is an Aruba document with best practices for doing physical maintenance and cleaning of access switches. Is it advisable to use a blower for cleaning? (some people tell me it's not good to do it)

I appreciate your help.

------------------------------
    Diego Fonseca

• 2.  RE: Physical maintenance access switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 10, 2021 03:25 AM
    Hi Diego, whatever you're thinking of...do it gently ;-)

I would be cautious about blowing Fan(s), especially if there is a lot of dust and dirty, some time you have to evaluate to (a) remove Fan(s) and Power Supply unit(s) - if this is possible, like when you have those parts as FRUs Field Replaceable Units - or (b) exchange those parts with new ones (again, if possible/permitted).

To blow fresh air from outside to inside to clean the chassis and/or Fan(s) and/or Power Supply Unit(s) is not a good thing when you have a surface dust on FRUs (consider that that dust is going to go inside).

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Physical maintenance access switches

Posted Jun 10, 2021 09:16 AM
    Hi!

Thank you very much for your kind answer. I have to do some preventative maintenance but I wasn't expecting to blow the switches. Do you know if there is any support document with recommendations about this? about whether it is good to do it or not.

Thanks again!

Diego Fonseca

• 4.  RE: Physical maintenance access switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 11, 2021 03:42 AM
    Hello Diego,

"Do you know if there is any support document with recommendations about this?"

None I am aware of...I believe the main point here is that (especially Enterprise) Switches are supposed to be installed on (very) clean environments (such of Datacenters)...and, apart fulfilling operational requirements (such of operating temperature, humidity, altitude etc.) vendors don't take into consideration there could be dust impairing the normal operation of their products (at best they let you to hot-swap Fan Units and/or Power Supply Units in case of faults).

In other terms I'm not able to find the word "dust" or "clean" on various manuals.

Davide Poletto