Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

This thread has been viewed 83 times
  • 1.  Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

Posted Jan 22, 2021 09:48 AM
    Hello,

I had difficulty finding this information, I thought I could get a fast answer from the community.

I believe the Campus Core and Datacenter Switches have the capacity to do Wireshark and Iperf,

do the Acess Switches like the 6000 series (6400/6300/6200/6100) which are also Aruba OS CX have the same abilitis od perform Iperf and Wireshark traces ?

thank you,

------------------------------
    Olivier Cheneviere

• 2.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2021 01:09 PM
    These are not natively supported.
    If you want to "wireshark" then  use  a mirror session to port and analyzer
    I would also suggest looking at 1. Aruba CX Monitoring Guide and 2. Network Analytics Engine Guide and  look into IP SLA this may help you achieve part of what you are after

Kamal Takodra
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

Posted Jan 24, 2021 04:24 AM
    You can enter Bash shell with start-shell command. Maybe if you find/compile statically linked ARM64 binary of iperf it would work :)

Too bad Aruba has done very little to provide different modules/scripts even though they advertise NAE all the time with CX switches. In Aruba solution exchange there are 2 new scripts created within the last year...

With Cisco you can run for example Netbeez agent in a docker container, in a switch. And do distributed monitoring from all these switches. Aruba should provide UXI software for their switches too. Currently there is no benefit for example getting 6200F instead of 2930F

• 4.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2021 01:58 PM
    Yes if you go into the shell providing some more functionality that can help in this area. However, this should be generally done with the assistance  of Aruba Support/ TAC

Kamal Takodra

• 5.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2021 05:04 AM
    Hi Olivier,

This is an interesting discussion. Thank you for this. There are multiple possibilities but it would be great if you can share some more information on the use case you're trying to implement.

Thanks in advance!

Dobias

Dobias van Ingen

• 6.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

Posted Jan 25, 2021 05:15 AM
    Hello all,
    Thank you for your answers,

this really was a pre sales question about the 6000 series for us,

I have tested the wireshark function with success on the 8325 series but as it turns our I am not at all sure IPerf is implemented on these Datacenter switches as well as there is nothing on the documentation about it.

anyone has tested IPerf on either access switches or Datacenter Switches ?

Olivier Cheneviere

• 7.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2021 09:16 AM
    yes indeed tcpdump ot textshark file can be done (diag utilities) . For iperf please speak/discuss  with your Aruba SE on possibilities

Kamal Takodra

• 8.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

Posted Jun 04, 2021 04:22 AM
    My current experience of iperf on 6300 series is that it's there (start-shell) but doesn't appear to operate at expected speeds.

James Whitehead

• 9.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

Posted May 19, 2023 04:00 PM

I have found the iperf test on CX to show only a fraction of the bandwidth that I expect to see. On a 10G pipe, from an internet facing 8320, I only see 500Mbs but if I do a speed test from a client with a 10G NIC, I get 6-7G throughput.

• 10.  RE: Can Aruba CX 6000 series do Iperf ?

Posted Jun 06, 2023 09:02 AM

The best you can do is to utilize IP Sla, available in both AOS-S & AOS-CX

Steinar