Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

This thread has been viewed 59 times
  • 1.  8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

Posted Feb 18, 2021 09:56 AM

Hello,

we are currently evaluating if we should upgrade our Virtuozzo (+Virtuozzo Storage SDS with lot's of SSDs) Cluster to 25Gb Network.
    Are there any Whitepapers or does someone have experience with the 8325-48X8C in SDS networks? Unfortunately, I haven't found any exact information regarding the latency of the 8325-48X8C ... except for "low latency" - which is not exactly meaningful!
    Maybe someone with some experience can help me here.
    Many Thanks, bye from Austria
    Andreas S.

ps) Our HPE Distri sent us Quotes besides Aruba for the HPE FlexFabric 5900AF and 5710 - maybe someone here also got some Ideas if those would fit better or worse for SDS than the Aruba?

------------------------------
    Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

• 2.  RE: 8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 07:07 PM
    Hi Andreas,

about your question:

"Unfortunately, I haven't found any exact information regarding the latency of the 8325-48X8C ... except for "low latency" - which is not exactly meaningful!"

I would say that Aruba 8325 switch series's latency (depending on packet size) is about 1 microsecond (at best, I add).

Edit: I know that such of an answer is totally generic (and probably inaccurate at best) and I also know that it doesn't say too much about how latency varies with regards to port speed you're considering (other than varying with packet's sizes) but it's the best I do know. More from Aruba SE or TME if they want to chime in and comment/amend.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: 8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 09:06 AM
    Hi,
    Latency of 8325 on 25G port is a bit less than 1 microsecond.
    For exact number of testing mode, please contact you Aruba SE.

Would you target the 8325 hosting lossy and lossless traffic at the same time (i.e converged ethernet) ?
    8325 does support DCB protocols suit (PFC, ETS, DCBX) so as such RoCEv1 is fully supported.
    Do you need RoCEv2 support (ie. SDS traffic being routed ?).

Regards,

Vincent Giles

• 4.  RE: 8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

Posted Feb 23, 2021 12:56 PM

Hi Davide, Hi Vincent,

thank you for your Answers. Just had another call with our HPE distributor and we are going with HPE SN2100M Switches for the SDS - they seem to fit better for SSD Storage Networks with their 300ns Latency.

Hopefully I find another Usage Scenario for 8325-48X8C  as I would really love to work with them after I read over the Specs / Docs ... ;-)

thx, bye from Austria

Andreas

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

• 5.  RE: 8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

Posted Feb 23, 2021 04:59 PM
    Just a heads up, but if you were hoping/planning to leverage some knowledge of AOS-Switch or AOS-CX as part of this, you should realize the SN2100 is a rebranded Mellanox switch, which will either run Onyx or require you to supply your own operating system.

John Kupski

• 6.  RE: 8325-48X8C for Software Defined Storage Network?

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 23, 2021 06:18 PM
    Hi Andreas,

"...they seem to fit better for SSD Storage Networks with their 300ns Latency"

Heads up: 300 nanoseconds latency is for 100GbE port-to-port...not sure that low value is also valid for lower port speeds.

Davide Poletto