Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSX Split brain behavior for non vsx ports

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  VSX Split brain behavior for non vsx ports

Posted Nov 03, 2020 06:32 AM

Hi all,

I deployed two 8320 in VSX topology.
    I have designing limitations, so two FW are connected each one with 1 uplink to the 8320.
    Meaning, FW-1 to 8320-1 (1 link) and FW-2 to 8320-2. The FWs are in active standby.
    The problem is when I have split-brain prevention with the keepalive port between the two 8320.
    The Secondary (8320-2) shuts all its VSX lags because of the split-brain But keeps the port to the FW-2 up.

I want it to shut this port to the FW as well since I don't want it to be active for some reason.

I know Nexus VPC has the feature of "orphan ports" for this kind of situation and was wondering if something similar exists on VSX as well.

Thank you all,

------------------------------
    Alon Haber

• 2.  RE: VSX Split brain behavior for non vsx ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 03, 2020 04:26 PM
    Hi,

I don't remember any vsx option that would disable a "standalone" interface when the ISL link goes down.
    But I've ran a vsx lab before and tested creating two M-LAG to connect only one device to each. For example, M-LAG-50 for FW-1 connecting to switch-1 and M-LAG-60 for FW2 connecting to switch-2.
    Using this configuration in the event of  an ISL failure the M-LAG on the secondary VSX switch-2 will be disabled.
    If someone know of an option to do that differently I would also like to know.

Luciano Carvalho

• 3.  RE: VSX Split brain behavior for non vsx ports

Posted Nov 03, 2020 06:29 PM
    Thank you for replying.

An excellent idea in case there is no solution given by Aruba.

Alon Haber

• 4.  RE: VSX Split brain behavior for non vsx ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2020 08:29 AM
    This is a known issue and for roadmap information bout fix, I would suggest to reach out to your Aruba SE.
    In addition to this VSX LAG workaround, NAE is also an alternative to fix the problem.
    Again reaching out to local SE would be an option to get the script populated on Aurba Solution Exchange.

Vincent Giles