Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

This thread has been viewed 59 times
  • 1.  VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 18, 2020 07:28 PM
    Hi all! I'm planning to upgrade a VSX based on two Aruba 8320 from ArubaOS-CX 10.03.0090 to latest ArubaOS-CX 10.05.0021.

Are there already someone out there that performed the 10.3 -> 10.5 upgrade? if so, was it flawless?

I'm just worried about to topics:

1. The allow-unsafe-update (presented and discussed here): is it necessary/recommended to apply the allow-unsafe-update on both VSX members before starting the software update procedure especially considering the relevant 10.3->10.5 upgrade step and the particular Aruba 8320 platform I'm dealing with? Release Notes says nothing about that.
    2. Spanning Tree: I saw a note about RPVST on ArubaOS-CX 10.05.0021 Release Notes, since my VSX is currently configured with MSTP enabled...should I care about that? I believe no but any feedback would be nice.
    3. Should, for this particular 10.3->10.5 upgrade step, perform (or monitor) the whole procedure by using two host connected to serial ports on both VSX Members? that's to see booting messages.
    4. Would be better to step into the ArubaOS-CX 10.6 area or is it too early?
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Davide Poletto

• 2.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

Posted Nov 19, 2020 05:45 AM
    Hi Davide,

Today i have upgrade from 10.3 to 10.5 for me it was not upgrading through VSX so i upgraded individually both of them and its working fine.

To upgrade to 10.6 is to early because it has more issue so better to go for 10.05.0021.

thanks,
    ASIF IMRAN

ASIF IMRAN

• 3.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 07:47 AM
    Hi @ASIFIMRAN_ACMP! Thanks for answering. Did you allow unsafe update(s) with the allow-unsafe-update before proceeding with the Aruba 8320 10.3->10.5 upgrade? in any case (VSX or Standalone), did you save boot messages at reboot? with that regard did you see anything interesting to be reported or the 10.3->10.5 upgrade step was just basically flawless (as usual) as moving from, example, build 10.03.0090 to build 10.03.0110 staying within the same 10.3 release?​

Davide Poletto

• 4.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 12:16 PM
    One important point for roll-back that is documented in release notes or upgrade procedures:
    Between 10.3 to 10.5 you will see a checkpoint automatically created called: "startup-config-backup". Please save it somewhere or rename it for history.
    If you need to roll-back for whatever reason, this is the checkpoint that you will need to revert to as it contains the former json schema (of 10.3).
    Roll-back process is simple: switch is running new 10.5, copy checkpoint my_saved_backup_checkpoint startup-config, reboot to former 10.3 code.

For 1, I would allow-unsafe-update (should not have impact besides longer upgrade).
    For 2, should have no impact.
    For 3, always better to see what happens.
    For 4,  if you don't need immediately 10.6 features, I would suggest to not rush.

Vincent Giles

• 5.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 12:49 PM
    Hello Vincent! that's great. Thanks for clarifying me (great to know about the "startup-config-backup" checkpoint and its usage in case of forced downgrade)!

Just one more question about (1): how much longer? I noticed that - on average - in all my previous VSX updates a node stays down for at worst 250 seconds (with allow-unsafe-update not enabled)...should I expect more than that?

Davide Poletto

• 6.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 04:27 PM
    It might even not being required depending on components requiring low-level firmware upgrade.
    I would say at max 10minutes more.

Vincent Giles

• 7.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 04:45 PM
    OK, reasonable...but...here I close the loop...how can I understand - in advance - how many components would require firmware updates? ...especially considering the update is going to run on Aruba 8320.

And, sorry for stressing you out, will the longer duration (supposing a switch will waste 10 minutes at worst...) interfere with the VSX sequenced and automated software update procedure? I fear seeing it going in a sort of time out or being confused if the VSX secondary will reboot more than one time. 

• 8.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 04:52 PM
    The rebooting device will not join the VSX cluster until it has finished low-level software upgrade, so you should not see multiple iterations of leaving/joining the cluster. The VSX peer timeout to detect the peer being lost is much longer that the time it takes for upgrade even with multiple reboots due to low-level upgrades.

Vincent Giles

• 9.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 20, 2020 11:28 AM
    Hi Giles! Upgrade from 10.03.0090 to 10.05.0021 was flawless (gosh! discovered this afternoon that 10.05.0030 was published today [*]! OMG).

During reboot I checked through Serial Console and no request about unsafe-updates were present (In any case I didn't allow unsafe-updates). I checked after the upgrade and there weren't pending updates...I suspect because Aruba 8320 isn't exactly like other modular (6400/8400) switch series and those unsafe updates seldom show up (I recall I saw an update about SSD firmware but it applied without me allowing anything particular...just during the reboot during a normal VSX update procedure).

Would be great to have a way to understand what is the software/firmware status/expectations (given one is going to apply an update which would require an unsafe update to a particular switch components).

[*] I hit the "LED bug" (I immediately noticed that our SFP+ ports equipped with 1Gbps SFP SR Transceiver have a luminous Amber LED!) and, probably, another one I tried to explain here.

Davide Poletto

• 10.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2020 02:05 PM
    Good to see that the upgrade went well. I agree with your points.

Vincent Giles

• 11.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

Posted Dec 07, 2020 08:19 AM
    Hi 

I have upgraded to  10.05.03 and now the SSH is refusing connection.
    Anyone seen this before

Michael

Michael Doherty

• 12.  RE: VSX: ArubaOS-CX 10.3 to 10.5 upgrade, any tip?

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 07, 2020 02:41 PM
    Can you provide few more details?

Davide Poletto