Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

HP 2920-48G Switch (J9728A) Accessing Via Web GUI requires login

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  HP 2920-48G Switch (J9728A) Accessing Via Web GUI requires login

Posted Feb 22, 2021 10:04 PM
    Hello Community,

I am new to the world of IT. I am working on configuring an HP 2920 switch (J9728A) so that when you access it via the Web GUI (using the IP address) it brings you right to the GUI without requiring a login at the operator level (view only access). All of our other switches are configured such that when you go to their IP address you can instantly see what is going on. However, you need to login in order to view certain things or change anything. 

This is how I want to set up the new switch. However, I am having trouble navigating all of the guides to find the right information. For some reason using the IP on this switch brings me right to a login page and the only way to continue from there is to login as the manager. 

I have tried to match up config files but it doesn't seem that doing so is going to fix this problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

• 2.  RE: HP 2920-48G Switch (J9728A) Accessing Via Web GUI requires login

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2021 05:28 AM
    I think as a best-practice you should never allow access without authentication.

If you really want this, you should remove the password from the operator user:
    sw00(config)# no password operator
    Password protection for operator will be deleted.

Continue (y/n)? y​

After this, you get into operator mode without a password prompt and can see the statistics of your switch.

The operator and manager accounts are not stored in the configuration, so that is why you did not see them.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: HP 2920-48G Switch (J9728A) Accessing Via Web GUI requires login

Posted Mar 01, 2021 08:18 AM
    Thank you for your input! I have found out that this function is automatically disabled somewhere in the WB.16.10.xx release. Out of curiosity I will see if it is still possible to use your command to revert back to the old way but I may decide to leave it alone as it is more secure and the other switches will likely be the same way after their updates. I appreciate the help!

Parker Audsley