Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

S2500 and pfSense

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  S2500 and pfSense

Posted Apr 11, 2022 10:42 AM
    Hi,

I am having a bit of a hard time accomplishing my network setup.
    Firewall: pfSense
    Switch: Aruba S2500 48P

I have setup VLANs on the pfSense and now am trying to apply those VLANs to ports on the S2500. I have achieved setting a switching-profile to a port. I am struggling to allow this port to receive an IP address via a DHCP server running on the pfSense. Can someone please help point me in the correct direction?

Trying to apply interface vlan 80 and ip address/gateway 14.1.80.0

Things I have done, in no particular order:
    • setup ip helper-address, didn't work
    • tried to run the interface vlan 80 with ip address 14.1.80.3, when I do this though, I lose the route through the trunk to my firewall because it's now trying to use the interface VLAN 80, I think?
    • factory reset
    • tried to run the interface VLAN 80 with dhcp-client active, no luck
    • factory reset

Anyway, I have been hitting my head against the wall for some time. If anyone can point me towards the proper way to do this I would appreciate it.
    1. Assign VLAN to port
    2. Allow device to receive IP via DHCP on pfSense
    3. Inter VLAN routing on the switch doesn't particularly matter to me right now, but would be nice

Thank you

------------------------------
    Joe Swanson

• 2.  RE: S2500 and pfSense

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2022 09:22 AM
    In that case you probably want to do all routing on your pfsense.

Can you share what you configured? And in addition the output of 'show vlan' 'show trunk' 'show user-table' and 'show mac-address-table'?

You should have a switching-profile with switchport-mode trunk on the port that goes to your firewall, and one in access mode (default, so no command), access-vlan and trusted (unless you do want to do authentication).

Note that the S2500 MAS is end-of-sale and end-of-support. For production networks it may be better to find an alternative that still has support options.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.