Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

New core choice

This thread has been viewed 31 times
  • 1.  New core choice

Posted Apr 08, 2021 04:31 PM
    Hi All,

We are replacing a pair of FlexFabric 5830AF which we use as the core at one of our sites.

We have been recommended three replacements which are the following:

HPE FlexFabric 5710
    Aruba 6300M
    Aruba 8360

They're all a similar enough price, I'm drawn to one of the Arubas, I've never used ArubaOS-CX before but am a bit tired of Comware.

The 8360 appears to have the highest switching speeds and VSX looks useful to me, so in essence my question is - is there any reason not to go for the Aruba 8360 and look more closely at one of the others?

Many thanks.

------------------------------
    Andy

• 2.  RE: New core choice

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2021 06:53 PM
    Your decision selection will be based on port density/interface connectivity/scale/features

Take a look at the datasheets for comparison
    8360 Datasheet
    6300 Datasheet

DWan

• 3.  RE: New core choice

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 09, 2021 03:15 AM
    Hi, since you're evaluating a new Core (thus I guess you're interested not only about resiliency but also about operativity and uptime...so I would expect that you're strictly interested in creating a redundant Core...call it HA, Cluster or Virtual Switch...whatever) I consequently would pay really a lot of attention about the VSF (Aruba 6300) versus VSX (Aruba 8360) operational differences: try to consider, as example, the way both manage a software update from the standpoint of connected peers (is it hitless for dual homed peers?).

If I were you - for a new Core - the comparison I would perform would be only between the IRF and the VSX excluding the VSF (VSF, in my experience, is eventually more suitable at access level), so between the HPE FlexFabric 5710 and the Aruba 8360.

Out of curiosity: why you're tired of Comware version 5 (because the FlexFabric 5830AF uses Comware 5 instead of Comware 7)? HPE FlexFabric 5710 uses Comware 7 which is years ahead of the predecessor.

Davide Poletto