Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

MVP
    Posted Sep 07, 2021 12:44 PM
    I have multiple JL255A (2930F) switches and a bunch of J9151E (10Gbps) transceivers.
    The AOS-Switch and AOS-CX Transceiver Guide (Edition 10) tell me this combo should be supported.  Unfortunately I can't get it working.

Tested with 4 different JL255A switches and 4x J9151E.  Rebooted switches. Upgraded switches. Unplugged & re-plugged the SPF+.  Nothing seems to help.
    Cmd Info : show tech transceivers

transceivers

Transceiver Technical Information:
    Port # | Type | Prod # | Serial # | Part #
    -------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------
    1/27 | ?? | ?? | unsupported |
    1/28 | SFP+DA1 | J9281D | CN0AKS38ST | 8121-1300
    2/27 | ?? | ?? | unsupported |
    2/28 | SFP+DA1 | J9281D | CN0AKS38ST | 8121-1300

The following transceivers have extra information:
    Port # Message
    -------- -------------------------------------
    Port 1/27 Unsupported Transceiver. (SelfTest Err#128000)
    Check: www.hp.com/rnd/device_help/2_inform for more info.
    Port 2/27 Unsupported Transceiver. (SelfTest Err#128000)

That link in there
    Only thing the log gives is this:

00371 FFI: ST1-CMDR: Port 2/27 self test failure ERR: 210907 15:05 00128000

allow-unsupported-transceiver

This command didn't help either.

So, what is there to conclude from this?  With some luck that I am an idiot and missed something obvious? Please do tell! :)
    That I have 4 transceivers and/or 4 switches that are defunkt?
    That support for this combo is a printing error in the transceiver guide?

Anybody got any ideas?

------------------------------
    Koen

• 2.  RE: supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 07, 2021 02:53 PM
    Hi Koen, that's pretty strange since an original J9151E SFP+ LR Transceiver is supported on Aruba 2930F (for models having SFP+ ports) and the J9151E type replaced the corresponding J9151D type during 2019 IIRC so the E type is well mature.

It would be interesting to see if there is a relationship with the fact that on adjacent ports (on 28 ports on both Aruba 2930F switches) there are already two SFP+ DACs J9281D (I think you can't simply test by removing all of them and test the J9151E alone since I presume you're dealing with a running VSF) or if the ArubaOS-Switch version running is somewhat older than the latest WC.16.10.0016 (having a recent ArubaOS-Switch build would be of help).

What 4x4 part numbers (xxxx-xxxx) those J9151E have?

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

MVP
    Posted Sep 08, 2021 05:32 AM
    4x4 part number is 1990-4727.
    Already upgraded the switch from WC.16.10.009 to WC.16.10.0016. Same result in both versions.
    And sure, Faulty SFP seemed logical until I tested a few more.  An entire batch faulty? Could be, but that doesn't help me know so I'll keep it for last. :)

Yea.. waiting for support now

sho tech transceivers
    Cmd Info : show tech transceivers

transceivers

Transceiver Technical Information:
    Port # | Type | Prod # | Serial # | Part #
    -------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------
    1/25 | ?? | ?? | unsupported |
    1/27 | 1000LX | J4859D | CN00KC61DT | 1990-4414
    1/28 | SFP+DA1 | J9281D | CN0AKS38ST | 8121-1300
    2/28 | SFP+DA1 | J9281D | CN0AKS38ST | 8121-1300

The following transceivers have extra information:
    Port # Message
    -------- -------------------------------------
    Port 1/25 Unsupported Transceiver. (SelfTest Err#128000)

show interfaces transceiver 1/25 detail
    No transceiver found on port 1/25.

Koen V

• 4.  RE: supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

Posted Oct 13, 2021 06:00 PM
    Hey Koen,

Did you get a response from TAC in the end?  I'm having the exact (or appears to be!) same issue on my 2930Fs when combined with J9151E's despite having this same combination working in other sites.

Much like you upgrading from 16.10.0014 to 16.10.0016 had no impact and the same SFPs work fine in my 8325s.  I have a batch of over 100 of these so hoping that the result wasn't replace them all!

Thanks,
    Matt.

Matt Sheppard

• 5.  RE: supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

MVP
    Posted Oct 13, 2021 06:12 PM
    Sorry, nothing TAC could do, so they replaced all 14 SFPs. If you have 100.. good luck, TAC needed to create a new case for each and every one I needed to return. 

Dit e-mail bericht inclusief eventuele ingesloten bestanden kan informatie bevatten die vertrouwelijk is en/of beschermd door intellectuele eigendomsrechten. Dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Elk gebruik van de informatie vervat in dit bericht (waaronder de volledige of gedeeltelijke reproductie of verspreiding onder elke vorm) door andere personen dan de geadresseerde(n) is verboden. Indien u dit bericht per vergissing heeft ontvangen, gelieve de afzender hiervan te verwittigen en dit bericht te verwijderen.

This e-mail and any attachment thereto may contain information which is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of the addressees. Any use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to total or partial reproduction or distribution in any form) by other persons than the addressees is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete its contents.

Ce courriel et les annexes eventuelles peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles et/ou protegees par des droits de propriete intellectuelle. Ce message est adresse exclusivement e son (ses) destinataire(s). Toute utilisation du contenu de ce message (y compris la reproduction ou diffusion partielle ou complete sous toute forme) par une autre personne que le(s) destinataire(s) est formellement interdite. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez prevenir l expediteur du message et en detruire le contenu.

• 6.  RE: supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

Posted Sep 08, 2021 02:26 AM
    Should be plug and play i reckon, especially since the combo is supported. Return the SFP to sender?

• 7.  RE: supported SFP+ comes up as unsupported?

Posted Sep 08, 2021 02:57 AM
    Get the latest firmware on the switch and try again. If it is really old, the E variant will not be recognised.

However, the transceivers may be faulty - they are not reporting anything at all apart from "selftest err". You would normally expect to see something - this example from no-name 10G SR optic:
    bvgarage-30# sh int transceiver 10 detail

Transceiver in 10*
       Interface Index    : 10
       Type               : SFP+SR
       Model              :   ??
       Connector Type     : LC
       Wavelength         : 850nm
       Transfer Distance  : 80m (50um), 30m (62.5um), 300m (50um OM3),
       Diagnostic Support : DOM
       Serial Number      : unsupported

Status
       Temperature : 45.160C