Wired

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the Aruba Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of the ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile first solution.
Expand all | Collapse all

[6400] Product line up question

• 1.  [6400] Product line up question

Posted 12 days ago
    Hey,
    We're setting up a new location so we're looking at new "toys" and I'm a bit puzzled by the CX product line up so I was hoping people here maybe can shed some light on it :)

The 6400 has a 48 port smart rate module (up to 5GbE) and a 48 port SFP28 10/25GbE mobule but only a 24 port 10GbE module, how come there is no 48 port 10GbE module? Clearly it's not a switching capacity issue since 48 port 25GbE is supported.
    Is 10GbE (copper) more power hungry then GBICs?

Also - what is the deal with the 8400 series? What does it offer over the 6400? The way I understand the spec sheets etc the 6400 would be the way to go and not the 8400. (I was told that the 8400 is the older of the two so I guess it is understandable but it's a bit puzzling to have two products that are so close in the same segment from the same vendor)

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Keeper of the Keys

• 2.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

Posted 12 days ago
    "Also - what is the deal with the 8400 series? What does it offer over the 6400?"

Short answer: maximum capabilities...in relationship with ArubaOS-CX operating system features...such as ARP, MAC, OSPF, etc. (clearly not only that).

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

Posted 10 days ago
    But the 6400 also offers all these things and ArubaOS-CX (at least according to the datasheet)?

Keeper of the Keys

• 4.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

Posted 10 days ago
    6400 is a great "Swiss army knife" from Campus access to Campus core: POE, non POE, all routing protocols (including EVPN), from 1G to 100G ports.
    8400 has no POE and is very much focus for Agg/Core with large routing table, large TCAM (for very large ACLs for instance)and buffers.

Vincent Giles

• 5.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

Posted 5 days ago
    Thanks for the replies.

Any idea why no 48p 10G baseT module is available?

Keeper of the Keys