Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

[6400] Product line up question

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  [6400] Product line up question

MVP
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 05:08 AM
    Hey,
    We're setting up a new location so we're looking at new "toys" and I'm a bit puzzled by the CX product line up so I was hoping people here maybe can shed some light on it :)

The 6400 has a 48 port smart rate module (up to 5GbE) and a 48 port SFP28 10/25GbE mobule but only a 24 port 10GbE module, how come there is no 48 port 10GbE module? Clearly it's not a switching capacity issue since 48 port 25GbE is supported.
    Is 10GbE (copper) more power hungry then GBICs?

Also - what is the deal with the 8400 series? What does it offer over the 6400? The way I understand the spec sheets etc the 6400 would be the way to go and not the 8400. (I was told that the 8400 is the older of the two so I guess it is understandable but it's a bit puzzling to have two products that are so close in the same segment from the same vendor)

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Keeper of the Keys

• 2.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 05:22 AM
    "Also - what is the deal with the 8400 series? What does it offer over the 6400?"

Short answer: maximum capabilities...in relationship with ArubaOS-CX operating system features...such as ARP, MAC, OSPF, etc. (clearly not only that).

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

MVP
    Posted Nov 18, 2020 08:15 AM
    But the 6400 also offers all these things and ArubaOS-CX (at least according to the datasheet)?

Keeper of the Keys

• 4.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2020 02:13 PM
    6400 is a great "Swiss army knife" from Campus access to Campus core: POE, non POE, all routing protocols (including EVPN), from 1G to 100G ports.
    8400 has no POE and is very much focus for Agg/Core with large routing table, large TCAM (for very large ACLs for instance)and buffers.

Vincent Giles

• 5.  RE: [6400] Product line up question

MVP
    Posted Nov 23, 2020 07:42 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

Any idea why no 48p 10G baseT module is available?

Keeper of the Keys