Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing the Member ID of switches in a VSF stack

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Changing the Member ID of switches in a VSF stack

Posted Jan 14, 2021 07:34 PM
    I'd like to know if there is a command or easy way to reorder the member ID numbers of a VSF stack? For example, I have three 2930F switches, A, B and C in a stack as follows:

ID 1 - Switch A
    ID 2 - Switch B
    ID 3 - Switch C

I'd like to move Switch C to member ID 1, so that the stack looks like the following

ID 1 - Switch C
    ID 2 - Switch B
    ID 3 - Switch A

I'm not concerned with which switch is the commander, if the role changes, or if there is downtime involved.

• 2.  RE: Changing the Member ID of switches in a VSF stack

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 14, 2021 07:48 PM
    Hi! have a look at Aruba Backplane Stacking and VSF Best Practice Guide or Aruba Management and Configuration Guide for your switch series (note: I assume you're referring to VSF deployment on ArubaOS-Switch based switch series but those suggested guides can be found also for ArubaOS-CX based switch series VSF deployments): renumbering VSF Member Id is a disruptive process (remove -> rejoin with new Id).

• 3.  RE: Changing the Member ID of switches in a VSF stack

Posted Jan 14, 2021 07:53 PM
    Hi thanks for the quick response.
    I'll check those guides but I think you answered my question when you said "renumbering VSF Member Id is a disruptive process (remove -> rejoin with new Id)" as I know how to remove and rejoin switches. That is what I was planning to try but was just checking if there was a more efficient way to achieve the same thing.