Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Validate Trunking between switches?

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Validate Trunking between switches?

Posted Feb 16, 2021 12:08 PM

Hi All,

Can someone help me? I am new to HPE/Aruba switches and need to know some shortcuts :)

So how can I tell there is a trunk between my 1 gig and ten gig switches? All are HPE/Aruba. Last time I was at Data Center, I saw almost all ports are populated.

There is a "sync or stacking" cable between two 10g switches (Labeled DMZ), and 4 more 10g (labeled DB). What is the cable actually called?

There are six 1 Gig switches and there is a sync/stacking cable between one group of three (DMZ) and the other group three (DB).

How can I confirm they are connected to each other without being onsite? I have remote access and have been using the web interface. Can you please tell me an easy way from the cli how to validate I have a trunk between 10g and 1g switches that are carrying the same vlans?

I have six of these. 

HPE FF 5700-32XGT-8XG-2QSFP+ Switch JG898A

and 6 of these

HP A5500-24G-4SFP HI 

Thanks for your help!

------------------------------
    Jerry Roy

• 2.  RE: Validate Trunking between switches?

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 16, 2021 03:28 PM
    Hi Jerry, both your switch series (HP 5700 and 5500) are Comware OS based. The best thing you can do to have a clear vision of your current topology is starting by obtaining switches' running configurations (consider that you could have also IRF <- virtual switching -> it means that connecting to a switch of the IRF stack will let you to gain the running configuration for all the stack members since there is only one configuration)...then there are just few commands (basically irf and lldp related) to understand exactly who is who and what interconnections there are between switch you are seeing.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Validate Trunking between switches?

Posted Apr 15, 2021 06:23 PM

Hi Davide,

So I can see 2 (HPE FF 5700-32XGT-8XG-2QSFP+ Switch JG898A) switches that are in one IRF (virtual Switch), is this correct?

irf-port 1/1

port group interface FortyGigE1/0/41

#

irf-port 2/2

port group interface FortyGigE2/0/42

How can I see if either of these switches are connected to a 1Gig switch

Jerry Roy, Sr. Network Engineer

BirchStreet Systems

949-567-7055  |  cell 562-305-9545 | jroy@birchstreet.net

www.birchstreet.net  |   Blog  |  twitter  |  facebook  |  LinkedIn

• 4.  RE: Validate Trunking between switches?

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 15, 2021 07:19 PM

Hi, to display the LLDP information received from the neighboring devices on all ports, please use this command on your IRF(s): display lldp neighbor-information (or display lldp neighbor-information list command if you prefer a list formatted output). Eventually, sanitize the output to hide sensitive information (generally MAC Addresses and/or Serial Numbers).

With regard to IRF, could you share the (sanitized) outputs of display irf configuration, display irf, display irf topology and display irf link commands? that's to ensure you're exactly dealing with a properly running IRF.

• 5.  RE: Validate Trunking between switches?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2021 08:00 AM
    show is display on comware OS that these switches run.
    You might benefit from the CLI Guide

I believe v3.3. is the last with Comware included
    https://higherlogicdownload.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/HPE/7eb10b33-891a-4ef0-86d9-1e1c13be4fde_file.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAVRDO7IEREB57R7MT&Expires=1613594456&Signature=p0hxJ3g1EAB1HH%2FEHjjL8Rja%2F8Y%3D

a Link Aggregation (LAG) is called a Bridge Aggregation (BAGG) interface in Comware, if it is a routed interface it would be a RAGG.
    # examples
    - Show BAGG interfaces
    display interface​ brid brief​

#Also LLDP might help you
    display lldp neighbor-information

Best Regards

Tom Roholm

• 6.  RE: Validate Trunking between switches?

Posted Feb 24, 2021 08:27 PM

Thanks for the update. Here is my issue. See drawing for details. Also see switch jpg.

We have two 10G Switches in irf topology chain

We have three 1G switches in irf topology ring (Not all are in drawing)

My original question was, how can I confirm these 1g and 10 gig switches are connected to each other? The all have an IP within the same range for management so my assumption is they are all on vlan1.

I have two Cisco ASA's and each must have access to a new ISP (COX) on their port Gig0/6. Currently they do not. The only port I can use on my ASA's is this Gig 0/6

The goal is to allow port Gig0/6 on both ASA's to support both 1) new ISP on physical interface and 2) existing UAT subnet (inside the network) on sub-interface Gig 0/6.1 (vlan 35)

I am not sure how to configure the interfaces on the switches to support this.

I have cable from the Cox ISP plugged into the 10G switch on port 1/0/29

"IF" the switches are indeed connected, how do I confirm the same vlans are carried across both sets of switches? Is there a configuration I have to do on a trunk interface?

Primary ASA

---------------------------

ASA Port 0/6 (vlan not assigned on physical interface so I assume default vlan1) Do I set to vlan30?

The cable from this ASA port 0/6 goes to a 1G HPE switch on port 21 (switch has vlan6 assigned), do I change this on switch to vlan30?

ASA Port 0/6.1 (existing UAT subnet on vlan 35)

cable from ASA port 0/6 goes to a 1G HPE switch#1 on port 21

Secondary ASA

---------------------------

ASA Port 0/6 (vlan not assigned on physical interface so I assume default vlan1) Do I set to vlan30?

The cable from this ASA port 0/6 goes to a 1G HPE switch on port 21 (switch has vlan6 assigned), do I change this on switch to vlan30?

ASA Port 0/6.1 (existing UAT subnet on vlan 35)

cable from ASA port 0/6 goes to a 1G HPE switch#2 on port 21

IRF Switch

VLAN Summary

-----------------------------

ID            Description                         Untagged Membership                 Tagged Membership

30           DMZ2                                    GE1/0/21, GE2/0/21

35           DMZ3 UAT Servers          BAGG3, BAGG8, BAGG16,            GE1/0/21, GE2/0/21

BAGG20, GE1/0/13-GE1/0/14,

GE2/0/3-GE2/0/8, GE2/0/12,

GE2/0/17, GE2/0/19