Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

LACP setting on Aruba 5406R with VSF

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  LACP setting on Aruba 5406R with VSF

Posted Jun 29, 2021 01:49 PM
    Hello

I have 2 Aruba 5406R connected to each other by VSF. And aim to have some servers connect to the switches using LACP. 

For example Server A eth-1 connects to Commander switch, eth-2 connects to Standby switch. On the server side, I have set LACP teaming of eth-1 & 2 with dynamic load balancing. Is there anything I have to set in the switch side? like LACP trk or port channel?

Thank you very much

------------------------------
    kh ng

• 2.  RE: LACP setting on Aruba 5406R with VSF

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 29, 2021 03:34 PM
    VSF side it is enough to configure a Port Trunking (link aggregation) and setup it with LACP.

As example, if you want to create a LAG interface "trk1" made of two physical interfaces 1/A1 and 2/A1 and use LACP:

trunk 1/A1,2/A1 trk1 lacp

Once trk1 is created (check with show trunks, show lacp) you can then adapt its untagging/tagging like you normally do on a physical interface (it propagates to its member ports).

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: LACP setting on Aruba 5406R with VSF

Posted Jun 30, 2021 12:17 AM

Hi Davide,

Thank you for the suggestion.

May I know what is the different between LACP trunk and port channel please?

Thank you.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 4.  RE: LACP setting on Aruba 5406R with VSF

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 30, 2021 04:10 AM
    Hi! it's a matter of jargons and different ones are used by different vendors (let we consider, as example, what happened with Cisco versus HP E series, aka HP ProCurve): Port Channel, EtherChannel, Port Bonding, Teaming, Port Trunking, LAG, Link Aggregation, etc.

I'm simplifing..the old HP E series (running HP ProVision operating system), now rebranded HPE Aruba (running ArubaOS-Switch operating system), uses the Port Trunking terminology to indicate the aggregation of two or more (generally up to 8) physical links under specific requirements/restrictions...and such of Port Trunking can be Non-Protocol (static = type trunk) or LACP (dynamic = type lacp).

Unfortunately Cisco adopted the "trunk" term to specify a port capable of transporting more VLANs and this created confusion when HP used the same term on Port Trunking to designate not only a completely different feature (Links Aggregation) but also an option (type trunk means static) for that very feature.

Generally using Links Aggregation is more misunderstandings prone...so when you read, as example, ports bonding or ports teaming you should re-read it as Links Aggregation and, as said, this one can be non protocol (Static) or protocol (LACP) driven/controlled.

Davide Poletto