Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

HPE ProCurve / STP Force Version : RSTP-operation

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  HPE ProCurve / STP Force Version : RSTP-operation

Posted Dec 17, 2021 04:46 PM
    Hi all,

I´ve a problem in clearly understanding what the following output is meaning :(

SWITCH01# sh spanning-tree
    Multiple Spanning Tree (MST) Information
    STP Enabled : Yes
    Force Version : RSTP-operation
    IST Mapped VLANs : 1-4094
    Switch MAC Address : 0021f7-XXXXX
    Switch Priority : 32768

CST Root MAC Address : f89e28-XXXXX
    IST Regional Root MAC Address : 0021f7-XXXXX

SWITCH02# show spanning-tree
    IST Mapped VLANs : 1-4094
    Switch MAC Address : 001f28-XXXXX

CST Root MAC Address : f89e28-XXXXX
    IST Regional Root MAC Address : 001f28-XXXXX

I think I understand that the CST Root is another Switch in the network but why is the IST Regional Root MAC Address each switch for it self the root? As I think to know and please correct me if my thoughts are wrong, there`s no MSTI/Region configured and the VLANs from 1-4094 are mapped as default... so is the CST used here because of the "force-version RSTP-operation" command and the IST is not needed or why I´m not having any troubles in the network?

thanks for any kind of help!

• 2.  RE: HPE ProCurve / STP Force Version : RSTP-operation

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 23, 2021 07:14 AM
    The IST is the default instance within an MSTP region (any vlans that aren't added to an MSTI are by default added to the IST). For switches to correctly belong to the same region the vlan to instance mappings must match (including the IST).

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns
    Lead Mobility Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: HPE ProCurve / STP Force Version : RSTP-operation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 24, 2021 03:06 AM
    Hello danW,

I think the folowing link will answer your question and provide detailed information:

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/WB/15-18/5998-8156_wb_2926_atmg/content/ch03s08.html

Hope this helps!

-Alex-

• 4.  RE: HPE ProCurve / STP Force Version : RSTP-operation

Posted Dec 30, 2021 07:11 AM

so with the Force-Version command MSTP as such will not be used in my case - means NO MSTI`s even if these should be configured will not get active and only the CST stay in use? 

SWITCH01#sh spanning-tree

• 5.  RE: HPE ProCurve / STP Force Version : RSTP-operation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2021 12:55 PM
    Hello danW,

This setting is for compatibility mode. If you need to create MSTP domain please use the link I sent earlier. The following is the command and the description from the following link:

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/K-KA-KB/15-18/atmg/content/ch03.html

Setting the spanning tree compatibility mode

Syntax:

spanning-tree force-version [ stp-compatible | rstp-operation | mstp-operation ]

Sets the spanning tree compatibility mode. This command forces the switch to emulate behavior of earlier versions of spanning tree protocol, or return to MSTP behavior. The command is useful in test or debug applications, and removes the need to reconfigure the switch for temporary changes in spanning tree operation.

stp-compatible

The switch applies 802.1D STP operation on all ports.

rstp-operation

The switch applies 802.1w operation on all ports except those ports where it detects a system using 802.1D Spanning Tree. RSTP is Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol.

mstp-operation

The switch applies 802.1s MSTP operation on all ports where compatibility with 802.1D or 802.1w spanning tree protocols is not required.

NOTE: Even when mstp-operation is selected, if the switch detects an 802.1D BPDU or an 802.1w BPDU on a port, it communicates with the device linked to that port using STP or RSTP BPDU packets. Also, if errors are encountered as described in Configuring MSTP at a glance, setting force-version to stp-compatible forces the MSTP switch to communicate out all ports using operations that are compatible with IEEE 802.1D STP.

NOTE: When using MSTP rapid state transitions

Under some circumstances the rapid state transitions employed by MSTP can increase the rates of frame duplication and incorrect ordering in the switched LAN. To allow MSTP switches to support applications and protocols that may be sensitive to frame duplication and incorrect ordering, setting the Force Protocol Version (force-version) parameter to stp-compatible allows MSTP to operate with rapid transitions disabled. The value of this parameter applies to all ports on the switch.

-Alex-