Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

Posted Jul 13, 2021 03:07 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I have two 2930f connected via fibre channel to a DL360 Gen9 server (2 Qlogic FC HBA cards Single Port 8GB), i've attached them using a Aruba 10GB SPF+ DAC cable that the switch reconsises as genuine but I can't get them to connect.

The server is running almalinux (centos 8 downstream), any ideas how i can get them to work, i'm new to FC so assume the worse.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Nathan Platt

• 2.  RE: 2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 13, 2021 03:27 PM
    Hello Nathan, despite SFP form factor of a 4/8/16 FC (FibreChannel) Transceiver form factor is equal to the 1/10/25 (Ethernet) Transceiver form factors (SFP/SFP+) the Aruba 2930M SFP/SFP+ slots are not capable of handling FC Transceivers...in other terms no FCoE (FibreChannel over Ethernet) can be done on Aruba 2930F.

Only particular Datacenter switches can handle FCoE (with proper FC Transceivers installed).

That's to say that you can't connect an HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen 9 Server's HBA FC 8 Gbps ports (FibreChannel) on a Ethernet Switch, no matter that switch supports the SFP/SFP+ form factors for Ethernet Transceivers (or DACs).

For sure you can instead connect the HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen 9 Server's Ethernet Interfaces (motherboard ports or additional Ethernet Card ports) to the Aruba 2930F...the HBA ports go to SAN Fabric (if any) or directly to Storage HBA ports in case of direct attachment.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: 2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

Posted Jul 13, 2021 04:38 PM
    Okay so I'm confused, if the switch has 4 spf+ ports why can't it handle spf+?

Nathan Platt

• 4.  RE: 2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

Posted Jul 14, 2021 07:37 AM
    Hi Nathan,

10 gig Ethernet and FibreChannel are different protocols.  Even though the SFP's will fit into the same slots they're completely incompatible with each other.  Your switch supports Ethernet SFP's and your NIC supports FC SFP's.  There's no way to make them work together.  You'll either need to buy a FC switch or an Ethernet NIC.

David King

• 5.  RE: 2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

Posted Jul 14, 2021 08:08 AM
    The ports are SPF+ ports... as you can see from the image

SPF+ ports , x4 included in the switch

Nathan Platt

• 6.  RE: 2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 08:09 AM

Aruba 2930F handles SFP (1Gbps) and SFP+ (1/10Gbps) based ETHERNET Transceivers, it simply doesn't handle FibreChannel (FC) SFP Transceivers.

In order to use FC Transceivers (scenarios: (a) Server <- DA -> Storage or (b) Server <--> SAN <--> Storage) you need to provide your Server's HBA FC ports (a) an indirect connectivity to your Storage via a Storage Area Network (SAN) Switch capable of 4, 8 or 16 Gbps (SFP form factor) on its ports or (b) a direct connectivity to your Storage in case of a Direct Attach (DA) between your Server and your Storage using theirs HBAs.

For the sake of simplicity, SFP Transceiver's form factor = SFP+ Transceiver's form factor BUT the FC Transceivers AREN'T supported on standard Ethernet Switches such as the Aruba 2930F (and vice-versa: the Ethernet Transceivers aren't supported on FC SAN Switches).

Davide Poletto

• 7.  RE: 2930F Fibre Channel shows as down, really confused

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 05:07 PM
    SFP+ is only the form-factor of the interface slot.

Ethernet and Fibrechannel are different protocols. Fibrechannel is not supported on 2930 switches.

Fiberchannel encapsulated in a Ethernet frame is called Fiberchannel of ethernet (FCoE), but than its just a ethernet packet with ethernet SFP+ modules.

For Fiberchannel connectivity to a Fiberchannel HBA interface (4/8/16GB) you need a storage switch like Brocade Fabrics.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own