Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution

Aruba Switch Series and HPE ProLiant Networking Adapters supported solutions

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Aruba Switch Series and HPE ProLiant Networking Adapters supported solutions

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 24, 2021 07:35 AM
    Hi all, reading the HPE COMPUTE TRANSCEIVER AND CABLE HARDWARE MATRIX (June 2021, Edition 16) document available here, I noticed that only the Aruba 8320 Switch series and the Aruba 8325 Switch series are mentioned under the ARUBA SYSTEMS AND PRODUCTS SUPPORTED WITH HPE PROLIANT NETWORKING ADAPTERS section at page 12, so my question: assuming a Server + Networking (ToR) deployment with some (four, currently) HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Plus servers, each one equipped with a pair of Broadcom 57414 10/25GbE 2 ports SFP+/SFP28 adapters for HPE (P26262-B21) and connected to the Ethernet network (a VSX, currently) by using SFP+ (e.g. via J9283B/J9283D) or SFP28 (e.g. via JL488A) three meters long DAC Cables, does the absence of the Aruba 8360 Switch series on the above matrix mean that this family is not yet supported on such HPE Server Networking solution?

In other terms, as of June 2021, in a fully HPE environment (from Rack to Servers, through Storage, Ethernet NICs/FC HBAs and related switching devices) where a set of HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10/Gen10 Plus servers are going to be deployed, are the HPE Aruba networking supported options really limited to Aruba 8320 and/or Aruba 8325 only? no Aruba 8360 yet?

The above Matrix looks in contrast to (or, at least, causes some sort of uncertainty with regard of what is the current "source of truth") what is reported on Chapter 8 "Support for HPE Servers and Systems products" of the latest available "AOS-Switch and AOS-CX Transceiver Guide - Edition 10" (January 2021) available here where Aruba 8360 is clearly included along with Aruba 8320 and Aruba 8325 BUT also some NICs/DACs/Transceivers SKUs are exactly specified as "validated" or "tested" combinations (and, among them, there isn't one suitable for Gen10 Plus [*] as far as I understand).

If I look at "AOS-Switch and AOS-CX Transceiver Guide - Edition 10" I feel I can use the Aruba 8360 along with HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Plus server BUT its supported Ethernet adapters seem that have not been really "validated" yet (or, at least, not used for validation), if instead I keep what the above HPE matrix says (and it was published very recently if compared to the Aruba DAC/Transceiver Guide), I see no Aruba 8360 option despite the number of Adapter/DAC' SKUs looks quite large (including those of Gen10 and Gen10 Plus).

Edit: I fear that the Gen10 Plus versus the Gen10 could be the cause of this misalignment..."validated" NICs on Aruba 8320/8325 and 8360 seem to be supported and related to Gen10 and not on (newer) Gen10 Plus which uses totally different Adapters' SKUs.

Maybe the questions would be then:

1. Could an Aruba 8360 and an HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Plus server (using supported NICs) linked with 10/25 DAC Cables used together? is there some sort of certification/validation going on for such of a combination?
    2. Is the Aruba 8325 and an HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Plus server (using supported NICs) linked with 10/25 DAC Cables used together? is the certification/validation currently documented valid also for such of a combination?
    Thanks!
    ------------------------------
    Davide Poletto
    ------------------------------